The Number 23...Weird, you seen it?

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
What a great performance Jim Carrey put on! Man I just watched this today and I was impressed with it, he is definitely moving forward in his career IMO. Much better then the comedy he's done I think. If you saw this did you expect the ending? Well the stuff leading up to the ending...LOL! Wow Whatta ride! :D It was well worth the wait. :)

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I remember anticipating seeing it. I saw it on DVD. For the life of me, I cannot tell you how it ended. I do remember being disappointed and thinking it was too much like another movie (?)

I also remember thinking it was the very dark Jim Carrey, and I do enjoy the dark Jim Carrey!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Very underwhelmed. Very good premise but it fell apart around the middle, and the ending didn't hold up either. I knew the ending from a mile away.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very underwhelmed. Very good premise but it fell apart around the middle, and the ending didn't hold up either. I knew the ending from a mile away.

I couldn't possibly agree more with this assessment. It seemed like they were just trying way, way too damn hard.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I kept waiting for Jim Carrey to break out in those funny faces. It was too distracting.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I thought it was pretty good.
This thread makes me wonder, though, how does a suspense writer determine just how much she should give away in order to leave the reader/audience surprised at the ending but not completely lost? It's frustrating to see the ending coming from a mile away, but also frustrating for the credits to roll and be clueless about what just happened.

Last edited:

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the film just to see Jim Carrey lose his mind. They did try too hard to make it shocking. After all the "twist" films(and books) that have been released, it seems like everyone is intentionally waiting for the absurd.

The interesting thing I found was Jim and his daughter's real life fascination with the number. I think I read that his daughter has it tattooed on the back of her neck.

I'll try to find the article. I think it might have been in TIME.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
It was a good movie, but the ending was too pat...too cliched........
he is definitely a better serious actor though

spiralout

ride the spiral to the end
Registered
Reaction score

I agree with this, too. I was into it at first, but the movie totally dropped the ball as it progressed (or tried to progress).

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Only made it through about a third of it - it was just WAY too boring.

Had a great concept but a horrible, bungled execution.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoyable to watch yet it had a feeling of pushing in it. I remembered becoming quite impatient and the ending did not work for me. Oh well.

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
The interesting thing I found was Jim and his daughter's real life fascination with the number. I think I read that his daughter has it tattooed on the back of her neck.

I'll try to find the article. I think it might have been in TIME.

It's mentioned in an article in the Script issue that came out right before the movie.