PDA

View Full Version : mail order gals......interesting.....

CACTUSWENDY
01-25-2008, 02:12 AM
:roll:What's with these 'mail order' gals....the ad at the top of the screen? Looks like they have pages and pages of choices....... Have we stooped this low now? :Shrug:It sure is interesting to see what kind of ads google sends here. Just me....you know....inquiring minds want to know......;)

Tiger
01-25-2008, 02:18 AM
My wife and I have an ongoing discussion about the difficulties involved in cross-cultural marriages--and how nobody ever thinks they're going to apply to them.

dpaterso
01-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Look at your own subject line as an example: "mail order gals" -- you've just raised the probability that Google will target visitors to this forum with ads for mail order gals!

The disclaimer says "Ads provided by Google and not endorsed by AW" -- maybe it should also say, "Ads provided by YOU." :)

PS - I've already asked if personal contact type ads can be screened.

-Derek

Bmwhtly
01-25-2008, 02:27 AM
I noticed them too.It is rather embarrasing that a site with such a serious work ethic has this kind of advertising.

Google, you're an idiot.

HeronW
01-25-2008, 03:00 AM
I've had the same 'build your website' ad for weeks.

I'm missing the good stuff!

Desert Author
01-25-2008, 03:15 AM
I didn't even see that ad. Good thing, if I ordered half a dozen, it might be tough explaining to my wife that, "She's a secretary and she's a typist and she's a editor and she's my boss and she helps with plots and that's my therapist..."

Speaking of therapists....

Later,

jeff

Project nachonaco
01-25-2008, 03:45 AM
I was a mail-order girl once.

I'm still having trouble removing all the 'RETURN TO SENDER' stamp ink. :(

JoNightshade
01-25-2008, 03:49 AM
Are we talking about the filipina girls ad? I've been wondering about that one too.

Shadow_Ferret
01-25-2008, 03:57 AM
I ordered two in case one gets broken in transit.

Desert Author
01-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Hey Cactus Wendy,

I just noticed you're from the land of Tucson. I thought I was the only writer-ish type person out here. Are you for real, or are you really from Topeka?

jeff--from the land of strong margaritas and Old Pueblos.

CACTUSWENDY
01-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Yuppers.....in Scottsdale for a bit.....but moved to Tucson in 1968.....you know....the olden days.

I remember one time late at night Jenna and a bunch of us typed all kinds of dumb things ....like....elephants wear diaphers , etc. and we got some real strange things to link to here......was fun.

Sorry to hear that those of you that have tried this mail order stuff had such a bad time. Better luck next time?

Desert Author
01-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Wendy.

I spent a ten year stretch up in Scottsdale. Loved every second of it and go back when I can, although it is growing fast, real fast. I loved the proximity to the rim country; Payson in an hour is great.

Tell me more,

jeff

Medievalist
01-28-2008, 03:18 AM
Can someone who sees the ad in question post a URL for the thread where they see the ad?

The ad can be blocked -- specific ads not type of ad.

That said, yeah, the ads do help pay for AW. So does the AW bookstore.

MattW
01-28-2008, 04:44 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122

Here's one, but not the only one. I've seen at least 3 different ones.

Writer???
01-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Look at your own subject line as an example: "mail order gals" -- you've just raised the probability that Google will target visitors to this forum with ads for mail order gals!

The disclaimer says "Ads provided by Google and not endorsed by AW" -- maybe it should also say, "Ads provided by YOU." :)

PS - I've already asked if personal contact type ads can be screened.

-Derek

Nah, I can't buy that. People here talk about their cars need work or buying new ones and we don't get ad from dealerships. People talk about Homes and kids and we don't get those kinds of ads. And I can just imagine what they talk about in the Erotic section but the ad space there is just a blank space. I've checked it 4 or 5 times in the last hour and it's just blank. So I don't think the thread titles or posts have anything to do with the ads we get.

It's just your typical "sex, writing, or computers" package probably. We have about 4 ads running here right now that I am aware of,

two different ones for the asian girls,

one for an advanced registry program,

one for fanstory,

and a combo ad with "a personals ad, a writer membership thing,
something I forget,
and a personal chat site.

(yep. just went back to the Erotic page and it's still a blank space) So, apparently they can be blocked on some kind of permannant basis.

The ads are bad enough, but "passing the buck" by saying you're not responsible for the ads but use them because they help to "make the buck" is even worse.

ETA: The ad at the top of the "reply" page was one of the "filipina" ads but I couldn't get a link to it for you. sorry.

Gravity
01-28-2008, 09:54 AM
"Mail order girls, you make the rockin' world go round ..." (with apologies to Queen).

John Paton
01-28-2008, 10:05 AM
These girls all seem hard workers and certainly quite lovely looking. They have learnt English from a book and they need someone to practise with.

Oh and marry.

Then divorce.

Then take half yer money.

Hmmmm. Seems like a story in there somewhere ;)

Albedo
01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Personally I prefer the tasteful mail-order bride ads to the one with the horrible leering avatars for that online IMVU game.

Bmwhtly
01-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Can someone who sees the ad in question post a URL for the thread where they see the ad?Office Party (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)

I seem to Always get these adds in my User CP. Does that speak to the type of Rep Points I get?

ona
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I have "How to do Report Writing".

Trying to make me feel inadequate ?

JJ Cooper
01-28-2008, 03:19 PM
On top of this page I've got one of those 4 in 1 ads:

Property Lease India.
Office Property in India.
Bharat Matrimony.
Office Renting in India.

Now that I've writen India three, make that four times you should all be getting the same ads. Apparently, Google wants me to move to India and Marry locally.

JJ

ETA - I still get the 'Filipina Gallery' under the 'New Posts' page.

akiwiguy
01-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I have sometimes observed couples in the supermarket who I would say with near certainty are mail-order arrangements. In fact, I noticed just such a couple about two nights ago. I may sometimes be wrong, and be observing couples who have met under more common circumstances, but statistically I doubt it. What intrigues me is that they do not look unhappy.

Quite a few years back I was teaching computing, and I somehow got into discussion with a Philipino woman, who was a student in my class, about the whole topic. She was a very nice woman, and explained how her husband had been killed and that alone with small children she faced mere survival if that. In fact, there was a quite unashamed candour in her explanation of her motives for marrying a Kiwi.

I wonder if there is, in certain such circumstances, a kind of love that grows out of a mutual respect. We care about each other because we met each others deepest needs, so to say. Not sure. And I have no idea about the statistics concerning the success or failure of such marriages.

But anyway, for some reason I find such couples fascinating casual case-studies as I pass them in a shop or whatever. Because the idea of an "arranged" relationship seems totally counter to how we pick partners, I really ponder how they now find their lives.

P.H.Delarran
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
I didn't get these type of ads until I clicked on this thread.
(not complaining-just commenting)

P.H.Delarran
01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Because the idea of an "arranged" relationship seems totally counter to how we pick partners, I really ponder how they now find their lives.
I think this comment, and the one below regarding the Filipino woman, are significant-many times these arrangements involve someone from a culture where marriage is a key to survival, rather than motivated by love alone. It seems to be more of a partnership, and expected that both parties will keep their obligations.

I have sometimes observed couples in the supermarket who I would say with near certainty are mail-order arrangements. ... What intrigues me is that they do not look unhappy.

... In fact, there was a quite unashamed candour in her explanation of her motives for marrying a Kiwi.

I wonder if there is, in certain such circumstances, a kind of love that grows out of a mutual respect. We care about each other because we met each others deepest needs, so to say.
I would hope this is true, that love grows, but I wonder if not everyone in these situations are looking for love. Or maybe it's love itself that has different definitions, according to circumstances.
I met a fairly wealthy American man (50's) who had a young and lovely bride from Russia. She spoke no English, nor did he speak her language. They both appeared to regard the other as a means to improve their status, but did not have any obvious chemistry or connection otherwise. I do not know what she left behind, but she seemed determined to jump into the dream and make her new life work. He was just proud to be seen with a beautiful woman on his arm. Happy? Happiness is personal, determined by unique and individual standards. They both chose this, this is what they sought out and attained. Success has many faces. Will he lord it over her one day? It didn't appear so, I certainly hope not, after all, he offered her his name-there's still honor in that for many.

Tiger
01-29-2008, 12:15 AM
I would say that the most pervasive "selling point" of these types of arrangements have to do with perceptions of control that come with bringing someone from abroad into one's own world.

I'm not saying that these guys want slaves. I believe most simply want to be seen as kind and good providers.