Topics

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
What topics would you consider writing on that are not specifically any particular religion but are spiritual/metaphysical/other in nature?

I know traditionally meditation has been viewed as being mainly Buddhist, but it seems to be an evergreen topic that doesn't really apply to any one religion anymore but is accessible in one form or another to anyone.

Others?

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Tarot cards.

I was just idly wondering, if you're writing commentary on a particular Tarot deck, does there come a point at which you have to get permission?

(I have a favorite deck and I was thinking of compiling some notes as to my impressions on specific cards, where those impressions differed from or added to the interpretations in the little booklet that came with.)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
NicoleJLeBoeuf said:
Tarot cards.

I thought of that earlier too, but I wasn't really sure since people's opinions and stuff vary so greatly sometimes, and because I didn't want to list a whole bunch of stuff and have someone thinking, "Gee, I don't need to add anything else..."

I was just idly wondering, if you're writing commentary on a particular Tarot deck, does there come a point at which you have to get permission?

I don't know. To keep my bases covered, I'd probably do it, especially if you're going to go into much of a description of the card(s).

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Pretty much any of them, as subjects that people believe in, and which often have interesting elements attached. Pretty much none of them, if the writing was promotional in intent.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Richard said:
Pretty much none of them, if the writing was promotional in intent.

That's a good point. But at the same time, do you think that there's some element of that to just about anything that's written/printed/published?

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
To some extent, yes. If you write a big rebuttal about the con-tricks that psychics use, you can pretty much guarantee that someone will be in touch to ask you for the contact info of the mediums you spoke to. Unfortunately, you can't please all the people all the time - and you can't necessarily help them either...

Even so, there's a difference between writing a puff-piece on Person X and their Amazing Psychic Powers, and writing a piece on how they fake their tricks. If someone still insists on believing with all the facts in front of them, there's really not much more you can do for them.