Neti Pot

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Anyone here used a Neti Pot? My sinuses are about to explode through my face and I'm thinking about running to the store and buying one (as gross as the concept seems). Do they work? Any tips on doing it correctly?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
they work (assuming you dissolve sudafed in the water and then drink it afterwards).

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
they work (assuming you dissolve sudafed in the water and then drink it afterwards).

You know I'm not smart enough to distinguish between sarcasm and real advice when it comes to medical stuff don't you? I'm trying to avoid taking any more sudafed because it drys me out like a mummy.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
There is a thread on these already. Just a couple of months ago.

I devised my own type and it does make a difference. I flush a few times a week and it does help. Good luck.

Perks beat me to it.....

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You know I'm not smart enough to distinguish between sarcasm and real advice when it comes to medical stuff don't you? I'm trying to avoid taking any more sudafed because it drys me out like a mummy.
Sudafed is poison. Don't take it.

A neti pot is an amazing thing. Dissolve a little sea salt, a pinch of baking soda and a dollop of pharmaceutical glycerin.

If you're stuffy, try to do it while it's still warmish.

And be brave. It's weird.

I do a neti pot almost daily, because it starts to feel as vital as brushing your teeth and washing your face.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have one and I've used it.

If you can get past the weirdness of shooting water up your nose, it really works.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Not bad! It's great. Neti fever is sweeping AW. Pretty soon we'll all never get colds and take over the world.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Sudafed is poison. Don't take it.

A neti pot is an amazing thing. Dissolve a little sea salt, a pinch of baking soda and a dollop of pharmaceutical glycerin.

If you're stuffy, try to do it while it's still warmish.

And be brave. It's weird.

I do a neti pot almost daily, because it starts to feel as vital as brushing your teeth and washing your face.

pharmaceutical glycerin? Does a neti pot kit from Walgreens (local drug store) typically come with the solution or do you have to mix your own? I'd probably be afraid to put baking soda in it.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The pot comes with nothing.

I use regular table salt.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
i use Dead Sea Salt. and yeah, my ear is healed :D (don't swallow while you rinse!!!)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Table salt isn't a great idea because the iodine and trace chemicals they use can really irritate your sinuses. If you've already got a cold, that'll be quite uncomfortable. You can get sea salt at the grocery. You don't have to use glycerin, but it's very soothing, which is great during a headcold. I have also read that, in a pinch, if you don't have the glycerin and your sinuses are raw from pollution or smoke or something you inhaled, you can add milk to the mixture. That'd look pretty gross, but since it's pretty gross from the get go...

ETA - you can get a bottle of glycerin at any pharmacy counter. Just ask the guy in the lab coat.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Then I could just stick our turkey baster up my nose to inject it instead of buying a pot?
I don't know how well that would work, III. It's the pouring through that does the cleaning. If you shoot water up your nose, all you'll likely get is a throat full of salt water and a coughing fit.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... am I the only one that sees the potential for disaster in this? We're a country where they have to put warning labels on hair dryers saying "don't use in the shower" or labels on coffee warning that it's hot. Having people shoot water up their nose seems to me an invitation to someone accidentally drowning themselves. :idea:

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
drowning? i doubt one can drown themselves (while sober) on a pint of water.

asphyxiation? probably the same risk as suffocating yourself with a pillow while standing up in an open space... one can choose to push the pillow away and breathe.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, you'd have to really want to drown yourself with a neti pot. And that sort of stick-to-it-iveness just doesn't happen all that much in our society.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
drowning? i doubt one can drown themselves (while sober) on a pint of water.

asphyxiation? probably the same risk as suffocating yourself with a pillow while standing up in an open space... one can choose to push the pillow away and breathe.

Actually you'd be surprised how little water it takes to drown someone, really. But, that said... You underestimate the stupidity of the average American consumer. :)

(You probably don't need the instructions on the disposable razors to remove the plastic cover before using them. But someone out there did, which is why it's there. Remember that: every little warning you see on something is there because someone, somewhere, either did or very well might do such a thing. :D)

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
Actually you'd be surprised how little water it takes to drown someone, really. But, that said... You underestimate the stupidity of the average American consumer. :)

fair enough. let's devise a disclaimer for The Neti Pot User. Me first:

IQ ought to exceed 65.

next?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

(You probably don't need the instructions on the disposable razors to remove the plastic cover before using them. But someone out there did, which is why it's there. Remember that: every little warning you see on something is there because someone, somewhere, either did or very well might do such a thing. :D)
Honestly, the ones they sell here probably do come with disclaimers and warnings.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
childish time:

I would not have thought this was possible.
neti-pot.jpg

Look Ma! I'm a sprinkler!