Is there life after the agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to be with this question (FAQ seems obsessed with reps, avatars and signatures and I've tried reading back...honest).
Anyway, I'm desperately seeking an agent but then I got to wondering...what next?
Has anyone had an agent who just couldn't place their book? Does this happen a lot?

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
An agent is by no means a guaranteed in on the publishing business, but it gets you that much closer and it ups your odds by a LOT (if you have a kick ass agent that is). And I've heard of people who got picked up for one novel by an agent, the agent couldn't sell it, but then they sold the person's next novel or something to that effect. An agent can get you to big houses, ones that don't take unagented submissions.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Like June said, an agent is a big step up the ladder, but it is no guarantee of getting published -- either with that first book or ever. Or if the agent sells your first book, there's no guarantee that your next will sell.

However, an agent gets you in the door, directs you to the right editors, helps you polish your work and focus your efforts, and dramatically increases your chances.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
I have friends who signed with an agent but weren't able to sell their books -- it does happen. That's why you keep writing so that if the first book doesn't sell you have another one to start submitting to editors.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I have friends who signed with an agent but weren't able to sell their books -- it does happen. That's why you keep writing so that if the first book doesn't sell you have another one to start submitting to editors.

Exactly.

It's really great advice...that I didn't heed. Luckily my book sold, but it would not have sold I would'a been in t-r-o-u-b-l-e. I still haven't completed my second, and it's been over a year. One should really begin on the next novel the very day he/she signs with an agent.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Happens all the time. An agent is no guarantee of publication. In fact, I would guess that the majority of manuscripts accepted for representation are not published--though no one seems to talk about that side of things. (In a lot of cases, that same agent is able to place another book, though.)

Furthermore, some agents may disagree with your idea of what a "suitable" publisher is. Mine--a top agent at one of the longest-established lit agencies in America--threw in the towel at less than ten submissions, because no other houses were worth bothering with. From her point of view, that is, which in dollar terms probably made a good deal of sense.

When we parted ways, my book was accepted by the first publisher who looked at it. But from my agent's point of view, she probably still made the right decision.

I have a post on my blog that talks about the fact that your agent's agenda and your own may not be perfectly aligned. It's entitled The Difference Between Your Agent and Your Mother. There are a few.

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score

I'm writing my third as I'm querying agents but this multi tasking doesn't come easy with me. I'd just love an agent to come along and let me concentrate on the writing. Wouldn't we all? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.