• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jessica Kingsley Publishers

acornsinthelaundry

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for any feedback on Jessica Kingsley Publishers. They do primarily special needs books. Has anyone had experience with them? They are not on the list posted.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
They certainly look quite legitimate, and Google shows that some of their books are on university reading lists.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
They are legit. We had a discussion on, I think, the children's boards some while ago (maybe a year) I think a member was offered publication by them.

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com

acornsinthelaundry

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Thank you all. Helga, did you use a literary agent. They give submission guidelines but I wondered if you used and agent anyway? The book is great!

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Congrats! Thank you all. Helga, did you use a literary agent. They give submission guidelines but I wondered if you used and agent anyway? The book is great!

Thanks.
No, I did not use an agent. I tried to find one and sent a query (I know, I know I shouldn't have stopped there and should have tried again), recieved a formal letter of 'being unable to represent your work due to a full and active project list', and contacted the publisher directly. You can see the result on their website :eek:)

acornsinthelaundry

Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea! I am a Vet Tech and also being the mother of a son with autism, got a kick out of someone once saying "Cats are just autistic dogs"...I found that quite amusing. I will look for your book. When do you expect it to be published?

I am going to send in proposals to JKP and possibly Future Horizons for my book. I wonder if it would be imposing to ask if I could mention your name and title?

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I love the idea! I am a Vet Tech and also being the mother of a son with autism, got a kick out of someone once saying "Cats are just autistic dogs"...I found that quite amusing. I will look for your book. When do you expect it to be published?
I am going to send in proposals to JKP and possibly Future Horizons for my book. I wonder if it would be imposing to ask if I could mention your name and title?

I hope it will be out in March.

If your book is similar to mine (when you mention the competition), I think it will be fine. Otherwise, I'm just a beginner, so I'm not sure if it will help you.

acornsinthelaundry

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I amnot sure either.

I will look for your book to come out. My book is similar in only that is about my son and our journey with autism.

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Helga, are you doing your own marketing? Or will JKP do that?

The answer is - both.
I've contacted 8 people (well known in the field) asking for endorsement. So far, five of them agreed and my editor e-mailed them a pdf of the book.
Oh, and I've received an e-mail from the JKP Publicity department - they are planning the publicity campaign for the release of the book.

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers outside of US:question

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have experience with publishing houses outside of the U.S?
Is there a list of bewares for publishing houses? My guess is that it might be very hard to negotiate long distance, especially without an agent.
Best wishes to everyone on each and every writing project.

Writer Friend

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Do you have specific countries/publishers in mind?

I mean, I could tell you about some of the publishers in Sri Lanka, but I can't imagine anyone outside of this country wanting to know that information...

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Probably the easiest way is to Google Country + Publishers. These days, I'm sure many communicate via email.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have experience with publishing houses outside of the U.S?
Is there a list of bewares for publishing houses? My guess is that it might be very hard to negotiate long distance, especially without an agent.
Best wishes to everyone on each and every writing project.

Writer Friend

Everyone in publishing works by e-mail these days so why would it be a problem?