PDA

View Full Version : Rejected? Post the Rejection!

Anatole Ghio
03-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Hey gang -

I am volunteering this week at a Film Festival and was doing some bartending at the Opening Night Reception. Joan Chen, the actress, was there to promote her film. I thought it was a funny little brush with fame, so I wrote up a brief piece about it, and submitted it to McSweenys.net as I thought it fit their house style. I got the rejection letter via e-mail the next day. Fastest rejection yet.

So I posted the piece and the rejection letter on my blog. I figure rejection is as much a part of writing as being published, so I may as well document both the letter and the rejected piece.

If you want to read either, they are on my blog, click on link below.

- Anatole

Susie
03-14-2005, 02:07 AM
Sorry you got the rejection, but remember, since it's in your blog, it's been published and that's a good thing. Maybe someone will see it and buy it. Here's hoping.

Happy acceptances, Susie:)

Anatole Ghio
03-14-2005, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words! :)

I seen rejection as a valuable tool. Every writer goes through it, so the less it effects you, the easier it becomes to put your work out for others to see.

If you are too sensitive to it, it becomes difficult to show you work to others. What the world would have lost if Kafka's work (mostly unpublished) had been burnt after his death like he wanted. He was so sensitive to being rejected, he never let his work out for others to read.

So by developing a thicker skin to this, you become more likely to share your writing with others. That's a good thing.

Okay, off to get me some more of that rejection! (j/k) ;)

- Anatole

NicoleJLeBoeuf
03-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Ye olde Slushkiller (http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/004641.html) link seems appropriate to this thread.

Good luck with future submissions, Anatole! May your wallpapering job (you know, where you use rejection letters for wallpaper?) be swiftly interrupted!

lindylou45
03-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Sorry about your rejection letter.

I just got my rejection letter from Harlequin and I posted it on my writing group. It certainly won't keep me from writing. I'll rework it and submit it elsewhere.

Anatole Ghio
03-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the support. You guys are the best!

- Anatole