PDA

View Full Version : i regret...

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
...leaving the states. bad idea, bad.

the world at large is not the same to me...

i miss the states. walk along the Lakeshore in Windy City. cozy suburbs. the big country. hampton-inn overnights. simple and honest living... four seasons! smog :D

non-nosy neighbors who mind their own business... *sigh*

William Haskins
01-22-2008, 10:31 PM
hang tight. we'll occupy everywhere eventually.

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 11:00 PM
heh. i used to be cynical. still am in some ways. in more ways, maybe.

used to be hopeful too. that's slippin'. it all changed once i left.

well, to each his own.... just havin' an honest naked window right now. hell, rememebered how i felt secure just being there.

things have changed, i know -- been gone a while. but i's thinking, the one thing i'd like to have done different (maybe) is to've stayed... maybe.

leaving did change me. better? worse? donno.

what do you regret?

Stew21
01-22-2008, 11:02 PM
i regret the neverending fountain of self-doubt that kept me from writing - *really writing*- for years. the years between teen angst when the dream was alive and old enough to know I should follow it are lost to me in terms of formative writing education. I'm learning now, but learning late. I could have done so much if I had picked up the pen so much earlier.
and i regret my first marriage.

What the hell was I thinking?

William Haskins
01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
what do you regret?

being born.

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 11:09 PM
and i regret my first marriage.

What the hell was I thinking?

not having married myself i can only offer an outsider's take -- when it's dubbed 'my first marrige', that was just an experiment, don't beat yourself up, noooo!! is was valuable on-the-job-trainig :D

Stew21
01-22-2008, 11:10 PM
being born.

how can you regret what you could not choose, William.

For my part, I'm glad your mother didn't offer you another option.

Stew21
01-22-2008, 11:11 PM
not having married myself i can only offer an outsider's take -- when it's dubbed 'my first marrige', that was just an experiment, don't beat yourself up, noooo!! is was valuable on-the-job-trainig :D

some young people buy a broken down old house - small and dingy - builds up equity, gives them experience, and they know it won't fulfill their long term goals or needs, but it's a start on the right path. A starter home.

I decided to have a starter marriage instead.

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 11:14 PM
being born.

ohoo no light topics allowed, please. do coordinates and genetic programming carry no weight?

my pet peeve was 'being born a girl. in that damn f!$#$@' country. -- damn.

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 11:17 PM
how can you regret what you could not choose, William.

but he did. obviously he did. souls do exist in a democratic society??

saying Hi! to WH's soul.

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 11:18 PM
I decided to have a starter marriage instead.

i respect that.

Williebee
01-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Stew, your current husband is a lucky guy. He gets the benefit of your rehearsal attempt.

Angelinity - The only thing I can suggest is that hindsight is often NOT 20/20. It can cast a haze over what and where we once were. I hope that, tonight and tomorrow, there is the warmth of sun upon your face, and that the stars will shine as bright as your words.

Me, I'm going to go outside now and slide on the ice.

III
01-22-2008, 11:19 PM
I mostly have incidental regrets - jokes I made that hurt people's feelings or selfish choices I've made, but no big regrets since reaching adulthood.

Voyager
01-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Nothing, nada, zilch. Every mistake gave me an opportunity to learn, discover, understand more clearly, love more deeply and come into who I am.

Stew21
01-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Nothing, nada, zilch. Every mistake gave me an opportunity to learn, discover, understand more clearly, love more deeply and come into who I am.

True. even the starter marriage taught me some really important lessons about myself.

Jcomp
01-22-2008, 11:30 PM
what do you regret?

More stuff than I could possibly remember right now. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I'd change all kinds of stuff.

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Angelinity - The only thing I can suggest is that hindsight is often NOT 20/20. It can cast a haze over what and where we once were. I hope that, tonight and tomorrow, there is the warmth of sun upon your face, and that the stars will shine as bright as your words.

Me, I'm going to go outside now and slide on the ice.

williebee, guess what -- there is no 20/20. yeah. perfection not.

warmth upon me face 11 out of 12 months, sand storms. 5am prayers. shamil winds. roads flooded after 2-days' rain. bein' someone's property to do with as they wish on a whim....

skies? who's got the time to look up?

...slide on ice... :D you lucky devil!!!

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I mostly have incidental regrets - jokes I made that hurt people's feelings or selfish choices I've made...

corner for you da'hlin'. hurt feelings ain't no joke. you're grounded.

davids
01-22-2008, 11:36 PM
ILY I SUPPOSE REGRETS I'VE HAD A FEW BUT THEN TOO FEW TO MENTION-I DID WHAT I HAD TO DID AND SAW IT THROUGH WITHOUT CONTENTION-BLAH BLAH BLAH-YOU ARE ONE OF THE FINEST WRITERS I HAVE KNOWN-YOU SMOKE TOO MUCH AND YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL-WHAT THE HELL-JUST EYEMAGINE COLD ICY WALKS ALONG LAKE SHORE DRIVE-COMING BACK TO THE APARTMENT AND HAVING A JUICY LUCY FOUR FINGERED CUP OF SOMETHING NICE-OR THEN AGAIN YOU COULD POP OVER TO ME IN SO CAL-AND SIT ON THE TRAWLER-SMOKE TILL YOUR TART BUM FELL OFF-DRINK A LOT AND PUSH ME AWAY-HELL OF AN ALTERNATEYEVO RIGHT?

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 11:41 PM
...THEN AGAIN YOU COULD POP OVER TO ME IN SO CAL-AND SIT ON THE TRAWLER-SMOKE TILL YOUR TART BUM FELL OFF-DRINK A LOT AND PUSH ME AWAY-HELL OF AN ALTERNATEYEVO RIGHT?

did i ever tell ya what i smoke?

huh huh??

smelly ciggs is what :D Gudang Garam smellies see.... so there. don't think you can handle thems can ya!

...trawler, huh... well. maybe?

sunna
01-22-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't really regret anything I've done. It's the stuff I didn't do and now can't that I wish I could go back and fix. I wish l'd taken that scholarship and gotten my MFA; I wish I'd gone back to Bosnia when I had the chance; and I wish like hell I'd told my friends how much they meant to me before they died.

Oh, and on the active side, I regret having ever picked up that first cigarette.

JoNightshade
01-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Fortunately I don't have many huge regrets. I think one of my biggest is that I didn't pay more attention to learning a second language when I was a teen. It was so easy then, but I thought it was boring and I did the bare minimum and then forgot everything. Now even as I struggle through Chinese with a bunch of six year olds, the simple act of learning to speak in another way has opened up avenues of thought and experience I never imagined. I wonder how much I missed by zoning out in my high school Spanish class?

To those of you who do have big regrets, one thing you should never regret is taking chances, particularly on other people. Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean it wasn't worth it. Loving others is always risky, and often you get hurt. But that doesn't mean you'd have been any happier keeping it all bottled up inside.

Angelinity
01-22-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't really regret anything I've done. It's the stuff I didn't do and now can't that I wish I could go back and fix. I wish l'd taken that scholarship and gotten my MFA; I wish I'd gone back to Bosnia when I had the chance; and I wish like hell I'd told my friends how much they meant to me before they died.

Oh, and on the active side, I regret having ever picked up that first cigarette.

pretty much covers it don't it.

except --
I don't really regret anything I've done. It's the stuff I didn't do and now can't that I wish I could go back and fix. ... more or less da same thang. no?

Autodidact
01-22-2008, 11:59 PM
I regret having gone to law school instead of library school. And as I am now 52 and a single mom financial responsibilities make it not workable to make the change, so I will never be a librarian. *sigh*

Angelinity
01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I regret having gone to law school instead of library school....

them has a library school??

i figure i got about 48 months give-or-take. let's say you got 48 months. or maybe 480. or 36. who knows? there's something you want, right? so want it, take it.

time? irrelevant.

Stormhawk
01-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Honestly? Being so responsible. But only sometimes.

sunna
01-23-2008, 12:55 AM
pretty much covers it don't it.

except -- ... more or less da same thang. no?

More or less. :D My brain doesn't work so well in the throes of nicotine withdrawal...

RumpleTumbler
01-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I really think that true happiness for everyone will come/only be possible when/if someone teaches Wilford Brimley how to pronounce diabetes.

Hillary
01-23-2008, 01:01 AM
This one time, I listened to a song by The Click Five.

Yeah. That was really stupid of me.

Kerr
01-23-2008, 01:20 AM
I might have regretted my first marriage, but that would mean I'd also regret my children. Never!

Mom asked once, If there was one thing you could do over, what would it be?"

I said, "I'd learn to be a better fighter."

quickWit
01-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Regrets? I've had a few. But, then again, too few to mention.

*Sliding off the stool and crushing out my cigarette*

Would someone get me another Goddamn drink?

cray
01-23-2008, 01:29 AM
2:14am, january 1, 2000 ~

i regret vomitting on the car. it doesn't wash off as easy as you would think.

CaroGirl
01-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Any regrets I have are small and few.

I wish I had been stronger and braver. What that might have led to, I'll never know.

akiwiguy
01-23-2008, 01:39 AM
heh. i used to be cynical. still am in some ways. in more ways, maybe.

used to be hopeful too. that's slippin'. it all changed once i left.

well, to each his own.... just havin' an honest naked window right now. hell, rememebered how i felt secure just being there.

things have changed, i know -- been gone a while. but i's thinking, the one thing i'd like to have done different (maybe) is to've stayed... maybe.

leaving did change me. better? worse? donno.

what do you regret?

A fifty-ish thing? I've been going through a real time of regrets, and I realised that for quite some time, maybe almost a couple of years, I'd really slumped into a deep depression.

But something strange I discovered, the most healing thing has been to let myself feel the grief of those regrets. I'd been kinda trying to summon every "set goals and look to the future..." strategy I could think of but it made me feel worse and worse. And one day I realised, "Fuck, I seriously am hurting over the consequences of some of this crap." And I felt the pain. Really felt it. Feels now as though I am moving on.

nerds
01-23-2008, 01:54 AM
I really think that true happiness for everyone will come/only be possible when/if someone teaches Wilford Brimley how to pronounce diabetes.

Bless your heart. I thought I was the only one who knew this was the key to world happiness.

nancy sv
01-23-2008, 02:41 AM
I really don't have any regrets. I think I've made good choices and am happy with the way things turned out. In retrospect I probably would have moved back to the USA about 6 months earlier than we did, but there was no way to know that at the time. No - no regrets. I'm a happy camper!

paprikapink
01-23-2008, 02:55 AM
It's hard for me to abide by it, especially on days when I've spend the time I meant to spend writing here instead, but my fundamental policy is No Regrets.

And there's something about seeing Snowy Egrets on the wetlands that makes me think my policy is a good one.

eldragon
01-23-2008, 02:58 AM
what do you regret?

Not using my brains until now.

Not having another child sometime after 1997.

Moving to Mississippi.

Not appreciating those who have passed on, when they were around.

:cry:

Silver King
01-23-2008, 03:31 AM
I regret about ten percent of the posts I submit on AW. I spend the other ninety percent trying to make up for it.

paprikapink
01-23-2008, 03:40 AM
It's hard for me to abide by it, especially on days when I've spend the time I meant to spend writing here instead, but my fundamental policy is No Regrets.

And there's something about seeing Snowy Egrets on the wetlands that makes me think my policy is a good one.

I regret this ^ post. What a load of crap.

I regret yelling at my daughter this morning.

I regret the FOUR hours I spent waiting for heating maintenance guy.

I regret the $11/mo "maintenance agreement" I signed with those phonies.

The bare honest truth is that I regret being such a loser idiot numbskull. Maybe regret isn't the right word. Because I don't feel that I could be anything else. Why am I telling you this?

Silver King
01-23-2008, 03:48 AM
...The bare honest truth is that I regret being such a loser idiot numbskull. Maybe regret isn't the right word. Because I don't feel that I could be anything else. Why am I telling you this?
There, there, PP. Everything is going to be all right. You came to Office Party, aka The Writers' Confession forum, because it's the right place to be to unload a little grief. You'll feel better in no time, trust me.

And those maintenance fees? Tell 'em to stuff it where the sun doesn't shine. :)

Writer???
01-23-2008, 03:55 AM
"A-a-ngie.
A-a-ngie.
When will those clouds all disappear?...

Whoa Angie don't you weep,
all your kisses still taste sweet.

I hate that sadness in your ey-e-es!...

There ain't a woman that comes close to you.
Come on Baby, dry your ey-e-es...

Ain't it time we said goodby-e-eye-ey?"

To our regrets.

Magdalen
01-23-2008, 04:48 AM
"A-a-ngie.
A-a-ngie.

To our regrets.

And the best part of that post was that it knocked "My Way" completely out of my head!!! And I do not regret that!

No regrets, but I am currently in the midst of several, large reconstruction jobs that involve the shoring up of weak positions that I've held. So I think I could've been more efficient, but I would've been far less happy!

akiwiguy
01-23-2008, 06:25 AM
And the best part of that post was that it knocked "My Way" completely out of my head!!!

Awwww... let's put it back in yoru head then...

:
:
Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.
:
:
etc, etc...

Which version you got Magdalen? At least for me if I have to have drivel in my head it's Sex Pistols type drivel.

Joycecwilliams
01-23-2008, 06:55 AM
I regret all the times, I didn't let someone know that I cared about them.

Magdalen
01-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Why, the original Paul Anka version, of course!!!
Oh, BTW damn you!

Storm Dream
01-23-2008, 08:52 AM
I regret not standing up for myself at the end of my last relationship. When he called to "air his grievances"...I should have snapped out of my shock and demanded to know what he thought he was doing.

I regret the way I left it with him, the uncertainty -- I don't know if we'll ever talk again, and I'm not sure I want that.

But I also regret letting him off so easy as it is.

Sometimes I regret going to Southern California at all. Maybe I should've stayed in SF.

Joe270
01-23-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm really regretting my neg rep, my only neg rep.

Angelinity
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM

that simple? damn, had i only suspected.

Angelinity
01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm really regretting my neg rep, my only neg rep.

given, or received?

Cassiopeia
01-23-2008, 12:00 PM
You all know the only thing I regret is not being a PERFECT mom.

But I sure as heck try. ;)

Angelinity
01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
"A-a-ngie.
A-a-ngie.

To our regrets.

lol!

but you know what? a bare blue sky with no clouds gets boring rather quickly... really, i speak from experience. we have bare blue skies here for months on end -- well sometimes they're not so blue anymore, what with all the construction dust and smog these days...

beholding a wispy cloud thread on those days can be something like.... rapture lol...

Susie
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
I regret not eatin' me spinach. If I hadda, maybe I'd be more healthy...

I regret not sayin' I love you guys more often, but you know I do.

I regret that the others above have regrets. :Hug2:

Devil Ledbetter
01-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Right now, I regret that when my doctor died a few months ago I didn't immediately find a new one. Because now I need, and don't have one.

Stooopid, stooopid, stooopid.

BenPanced
01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I regret getting myself into such dire financial straits.

However, according to the one radio commercial I keep hearing for a credit counseling service, it's not my fault I kept applying for, getting, and using credit cards. It's the evil credit card companies who kept sending me the applications and approving them. Damn them.

brittanimae
01-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Here's a favorite quote of mine--helps to alleviate some of those regrets.

"Lower your standards--you'll be so much happier."

It's true--just look at me :D

brittanimae
01-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Seriously, though. I regret living in Ohio four years ago and not persuading enough people to vote against GWB. I may single-handedly have pushed our nation into the dungheap where it currently resides. I bet GWB doesn't have any regrets though--he never seems to.

Death Wizard
01-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Giving up the saxophone between junior high and high school so that I could take driver's ed as an elective instead of band. I would have ended up as a great saxophonist if I hadn't wanted to get a driver's license so bad.

Death Wizard
01-24-2008, 02:09 AM
Seriously, though. I regret living in Ohio four years ago and not persuading enough people to vote against GWB. I may single-handedly have pushed our nation into the dungheap where it currently resides. I bet GWB doesn't have any regrets though--he never seems to.

I really wish you had managed that feat too.

HeronW
01-24-2008, 02:13 AM
I regret not being myself sooner, but then maybe I wasn't ready.