PDA

View Full Version : The Godfather: "It was Barzini all along..."

stc
01-22-2008, 08:48 AM
In "The Godfather," after the big kiss-and-make-the-peace meeting of the heads of the families, Tom Hagen and Vito Corleone are talking in the car. The Don says, [paraphrasing from memory], "...it was Barzini all along." By this he meant that Barzini was behind the assassination attempt, not Tattaglia as many had assumed.

How did the Don know this? Was it simply his best guess, or was something specific said or done at the meeting that led him to conclude this?

Fox The Cave
01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I haven't seen the movies (yet), but in The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (the Wii game of the first movie, sweet as hell btw, highly recommended) the Tattaglia Don confesses after a bit of interrogation that the Barzini's were controlling the Tattaglia's all along, from behind the scenes. I'm not sure if this confession took place in the movie though.

johnnysannie
01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Maybe you should read the book for the answer.

Reading a book - what a silly notion for a writer (tongue firmly fastened to inside of cheek as I type)

jst5150
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
It's the subtle way Barzinni is manipulating things in the meeting. As I recall, Barzinni has one or two lines that also tip the Don. Further, It's also about how he reads Tattaglia when they embrace. There are also a couple of cutshots within the meeting to point the viewer at Barzinni as well.

Don Allen
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Not just the assasination, but the main backer of Solozzo and the one who would benefit most from from Coreleones political connections. He also makes the comment that "Tatagglia could have never outfought Santino" which provides the infrince that he knew all along that the Tatagglia family was the front for another family, but he wasn't sure who until the meeting. Actually, later in the movie Michael makes a point of getting Carlo's the traitor brother-in-law to confess that it was Barzini who approached him to set up Sonny so they were 100% before killing the heads of the familys.