Does Anybody Know About Leopards?

Lolly

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is long shot, but what the heck. Leopards are a prominent part of my book, so I need to research them. I've scoured my library and local bookstores, but all I can find are children's books with basic facts. Anybody here happen to be friends with a zookeeper or safari guide who would really be able to help me?

Otherwise, I'm going to have to spend a lot of money on a trip to Africa...:cry:

And yes, I've written to my local zoo, but so far they haven't written back.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Look up an author by the name of Peter Hathaway Capstick - He was a Wall-street guy at one time....then he threw it all away, moved to Africa, became a big-game hunter and safari guide..........he has written about 8-10 books about his experiences over there, and they are fascinating.

He does write about all the big cats........and there is some fairly extensive stuff regarding leopards in his books.

Books: Safari
Kill or be Killed
A Man Called Lion
African Adventurers: A Return To Silent Places, The
Death in a Lonely Land
Death in the Dark Continent
Death in the Long Grass
Death in the Silent Places
Last Ivory Hunter, The
Last Horizons
Maneaters
Peter Capstick's Africa : A Return To The Long Grass
Sands of Silence
Safari: the Last Adventure
Warrior: the Legend of Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen

Hope this helps!

Good luck with your WIP !

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Otherwise, I'm going to have to spend a lot of money on a trip to Africa...:cry:

You mean, otherwise you'll have a really good excuse to spend the money to go to Africa! Yay!

No?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
You mentioned contacting your local zoo; have you considered calling the National Zoo in Washington, DC? I've contacted a few keepers there before who have been extremely helpful. You could also try going through their program, Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ).

Otherwise, do you get Animal Planet? Check your listings, they may have some upcoming programs. I saw one the other day - Growing Up Black Leopard.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thankfully with the internet, we don't have to limit our contacts to folks in our own countries without incurring huge phone bills. ;)

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Then why not contact an African zoo right off the bat (as I believe you Americans say)?

Capital idea! No need to thank :)

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Leopard as a family, or a specific leopard in a specific locale? A snow leopard vs a tropic dweller, etc. would have different habits, prey, etc.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Agree. Leopards are probably the most widespread big cat in the world. You did mention Africa...

Lolly

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, for your help. I'm sorry I didn't get back earlier, but it's been hectic this week. Anyway, I was looking for someone who had a real passion for leopards. I mean, I found several children's books at the library that had basic facts, but I didn't want to sound like an encyclopedia entry in my own writing. I wanted to talk to a live person so I could hear their own stories and observations.

And no, I don't plan for one to eat my characters. I have heard, though, that leopards have been known to drag people off. That's something else I'd like to confirm--and that you're not likely to find in a children's book. :tongue

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
Just so you know, there are no African leopards at the National Zoo, only clouded leopards.

There is a zookeeper's discussion board here:
http://www.aazk.org/forum/

It's not very active, but you might be able to post a question and find someone there.

Also, you should probably try calling your local zoo instead of writing. Keepers don't go into that profession because they like paperwork... even if the person is well meaning a letter is likely to go unanswered.

Last edited: