Who do the police call when monsters attack?

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score
Ok here's a fun question to ponder:

What exactly would the procedure be if some small town cops found their town under attack by monsters? Not Godzilla-sized creatures mind you, just some nice, blood thirsty dog or bear-sized things that of course are never actually seen by law enforcement until much later, but who's malicious intents are all too apparent.

In the world of the B-movie no doubt the local Barney Fife would just call the nearest National Guard base from a pay phone and have an air strike in 15 minutes, but I'm looking for what would happen in the REAL world if something that strange actually happened? Who would they try to call first?

I've got a couple of story ideas simmering in small sauce pans at the back of the stove which may someday need me to answer that question, but I'm basically asking because years of contaminating my brain with cheap B-movies has made me curious.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Who would be a 20-year old blonde in dynamite shape, right?

either that, or it would be local geeksters...........

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score
What about state police? (My first thought was National Guard - I'm not very original, eh? Of course, we don't have all that many monsters here, either. ;))

That's my first thought, but I guess then the question becomes who do they bring in?

Ok, my story (what there is of it) has about a dozen people from multiple houses going missing in a single night, with nothing left but signs of violence, lots of blood and an occasional leftover piece. The local police are of course dumbfounded, and then the state police have no better explanations either. Who gets called in next? I mean, besides Ghostbusters?

Of course they would call the most eminent scientist from the local university./

No doubt smoking a pipe and complaining that the creatures should be studied and not killed. :D

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
These are the scientists I had in mind:
ThisIslandEarth01.jpg

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
But seriously, I think the nearest zoo might be called. They would have all the equipment needed for tranquilizing or killing the beast, assuming it wasn't much bigger that an elephant.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
maybe, before they call anyone........maybe they should look around for movie cameras and equipment......just in case it's just a movie being filmed.............LOL

wait........maybe the 'mosters' are Britney, Lindsey and Paris.......all on the prowl....looking for drugs, parties, .......(and their panties.....)

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
I would think some kind of Animal Control. After that? Picture the end scene of Blues Brothers. Same kind of deal.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
In most of small town America there won't be a zoo any where within a hundred miles or often more. Most likely, the chain of response would begin with the local police department and might include the animal control officer. If they could not handle the situation or contain it, the county (sheriff's department) might be called in followed by the state police and finally the national guard if the situation was not under control.

Of course, the initial report of monsters to a small town PD would probably be taken with a grain of salt, i.e. they would not be very likely to believe the initial reports!

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously they'd use the bat-signal.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
What exactly would the procedure be if some small town cops found their town under attack by monsters?

The procedure would be TO FRIGGIN RUN!

... Or possibly use a vehicle which unlike your feet aren't momentarily paralyzed.

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
Although I would like to think the local group of teen heroes, the most likely REAL response would depend on the monster; it would be either for the police to take it down themselves, or animal control. In extreme cases, they may deputize some locals, but otherwise the police would be the most likely people to respond.

I still like the idea of teen heroes, however...

FR

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score
I still like the idea of teen heroes, however...FR

That would be when the monsters pulled off their masks and said "And we would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for these meddling kids!"

Actually if I write the story I ought to kill off a lot of teen heroes just on general principles, along with obnoxious comic relief characters, the old man who walks around saying "You're all dooooooomed!", and lots of annoyingly cute pets!

Ok, thinking out loud here, my guess would be that it would go this way:

The local police would be very quick in figuring out that the situation is WAY over their heads, so they would of course call the state police. After a quick assessment of the scene to confirm that the locals are not smoking crack, they in turn would bring in detectives, forensic experts, the FBI because of the number of people missing and perhaps a wildlife expert or two.

Having concluded the obvious, which is that this is NOT the work of humans, they would evacuate all civilians within a comfortable distance and close the area to all but authorized persons.

After this is done the state police would organize a search of the nearby forest armed with the usual big boy toys, high powered rifles and shotguns, along with some hunting dogs to hopefully track whatever the boogeythings are.

Now if this effort were to say, end badly :D , or that they were to discover the source of the problem but dare not tackle it themselves, the next step would be to bring in the National Guard... but this is where things get fuzzy for me...

Ok, so the Guard would obviously provide the military muscle needed to hopefully contain the problem, but who handles the problems of actually figuring out what the creatures are and how to contain/destroy them? The Center of Disease Control? Department of Defense?? Scooby Doo???

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Even if the Nat'l Guard is called, would they come? There has to be a damn good reason, and the consent of assorted brass before they're mobilized. Slapping on the Homeland Security threat will get them there quicker, also phoning the local FBI office might help. A quicker backup may be the local Vets Admin to get a bunch of ex-Rangers etc together for a last hoorah beating the monsters.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
In Canada, we have Fish & Wildlife Officers -- and they would be the ones the police would call first. (FYI -- we used to refer to them as the Fur & Fins Department, unless they made us mad, and then we called them Birds and Bunnies). If we had any calls involving anything living but not human, they were always involved. In Canada they had national jurisdiction so they could go anywhere without an issue.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that'd be the Canadian solution: hand the aliens over to the Fisheries Department. Who will proceed to issue a wildly optimistic estimate of their number and then sit quietly while they are wiped out illness, overfishing and human activity. Worked on the cod and the salmon. At the end of the usual government five-year plan, the aliens will be gone, their species decimated and their homeworld a barren waste. Victory!

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
My first thoughts would be Scully and Mulder who run the X-Files. But they are FBI so I reckon they covered. If the small town has a couple that look like a version of Scully and Mulder they are bound to show up.

Scully will say it is some genetic mutation or just a pack of wolves while Mulder will claim it's the Jersey's Devil's cousin or aliens.

Sorry I don't have a "real" answer.