Aussies!

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
For anyone who currently lives in or has (recently) visited Australia -

I have a small group of Australians in my novel and I need to get a handle on the slang. Basically, my only working knowledge of Australian slang comes from movies, and we all know how accurate those can be. Every day expressions and speech patterns as well as the occassionally used turn of phrase. The group consists of two guys and a girl, late twenties.

I've googled some expressions but it's just a list to me - I don't know which ones have become obsolete. Plus, recent slang might not be floating around the internet for me to find and use.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

<3

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
These might be useful.

G'day, G'day mate, Beaut are still in use. Overheard as I passed through the airport in Sydney last year.

Oz and NZ Slang depend on whether your people are country or city.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest you go online and stream some Aussie talk radio. In my experience slang is used very lightly outside of pubs abd sporting events ;)

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
My first novel is based in Aus and I used very little slang.

JJ

Struth cobber good to see a sheila doing something other than being barefoot and preggers. As long as you don't spit the dummy and do a technicolour yawn after a few darwin stubbies then she'll be right and no worries.

Sorry Sassee but I couldn't resist. ;) There is a tendancy in Oz to follow the vernacular in California, albeit with a slightly younger crowd than late 20s.

See if you can watch some Aussie soaps. You should get "neighbours" and another good one is "home and away"

But in saying that people over here in Oz are quite similar in many ways to Americans. We generally tend to model ourselves on Americans rather than say the English or Europe or even Asia.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
See if you can watch some Aussie soaps. You should get "neighbours" and another good one is "home and away"

Do not judge us by these soaps. Shame on you John. (reminds me must record Home and Away for the wife tonight)

JJ

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is there any difference with people that live more in the country? (The bush, I guess) Sort of like in America you can DEFINITELY tell when someone is from the South. It's not a slang difference but there's a definite accent there with a slightly different speech pattern.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Here's a good example of what I'm looking for. There are two Aussies in our guild in World of Warcraft, and not once have I ever heard them say vacation (and one of them goes a lot... I'm jealous! lol). If they're going on vacation, they're taking a holiday (or "on hols" as he sometimes types it, tho I imagine he doesn't say it that way). I'm also streaming a radio show (Triple M in Syndey) and again I've heard someone say something about going on holiday.

So I guess it's not necessarily slang I'm looking for, but minor differences in the language.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They use a lot of positive phrases that stand out- 'good on ya' and 'give it a go' come to mind (give it a go is NZ, but I'm sure someone can give the Aussie equivelents) No worries is a big one too. Cheers (thus my sig if anyone was wondering)

You might also ask for insults typically used. I know there was alot of use of the word 'dike' when I was in NZ. Fag is a cigarette, not a guy... What else? Wanker is prolly cliche. ...I'm totally blanking on casual NZ insults.

Cheers,
Christina

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, dunno if this would apply (prolly not) but they say 'overseas experience' alot (its a european thing). Since this is totally foreign to most americans, I thought I'd mention it. Sometimes abreviated OE.
Anywho...

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Just goes to show how stereotyped we poor Aussies are!!!!

"G'day" is seldom used these days. As all the cobber, struth, stone the crows, etc.

There are differences in how words are used. For example, if an American is pissed, he's cranky. If an Aussie is pissed, he's drunk. If he's pissed off, he's angry.

If it will help, you can email me at [email protected], and I'll either have a look at what you've got, or translate what you want to say for you.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually hear "g'day" fairly often - which amazed me when I moved here. Not all the time, but it doesn't surprise me to hear it.

"Mate" is pretty common too, as in "Thanks, mate" or "I've got a mate with a ute who can help us shift these boxes". (Oh, yeah - a ute is a "utility vehicle", like a car with a bed. Think El Caminos. They're very, very popular here, in the city and in the country. They're popular both as work vehicles and as muscle cars.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just goes to show how stereotyped we poor Aussies are!!!!

"G'day" is seldom used these days. As all the cobber, struth, stone the crows, etc.

There are differences in how words are used. For example, if an American is pissed, he's cranky. If an Aussie is pissed, he's drunk. If he's pissed off, he's angry.

If it will help, you can email me at [email protected], and I'll either have a look at what you've got, or translate what you want to say for you.

I don't have anything written yet - I'm trying to pin down the culture through my online references (you guys!) plus some streaming radio talk shows, and anything else I can find without actually going there. When I do have something written I'll look you up! :)

I actually hear "g'day" fairly often - which amazed me when I moved here. Not all the time, but it doesn't surprise me to hear it.

"Mate" is pretty common too, as in "Thanks, mate" or "I've got a mate with a ute who can help us shift these boxes". (Oh, yeah - a ute is a "utility vehicle", like a car with a bed. Think El Caminos. They're very, very popular here, in the city and in the country. They're popular both as work vehicles and as muscle cars.

Yeah, "mate" was something I picked up pretty quick just from the two people I have limited contact with. I haven't yet heard any Aussie say the word "friend" ;) It's always "mate" and even "mateship" (as opposed to "friendship").

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
No worries, Sass - if you want my suggestion for a radio station, though, I would suggest Nova 96 - two guys called Merrick and Rosso talk fairly true to Aussie. Hamish and Andy are ok, but I think they are a bit too removed from reality these days.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Sassee, attitude is perhaps more important than the actual language. Australians borrow language broadly from both the UK and US, and our national lexical idiosyncracies are fading, but our attitudes are quite distinct.

Here are some values for which Australians are known:
  • Irreverence: to authority, fame, fortune, received wisdom, sacred cows. It's not that we have contempt for these things, it's that we feel the need to bring them to a common level.
  • Resentment: Of excessive success, tall poppies, high social status, excessive power. This is the twin of the irreverence and we call it 'Tall poppy syndrome'. Our resentment is that one of our own now acts 'Too good for the rest of us'. We work hard to bring them down to our level.
  • Informality: we like to deal with people as people, rather than as their roles. And we like to imagine that everyone is our friend. We'll frequently make personal comments or offer advice to strangers. The use of 'mate' to strangers indicates: 'you're my friend unless you prove otherwise'. We're often very uncomfortable and shy with formal situations.
  • A hard work ethic: Australians often pretend to be slack and indifferent, but in fact we generally are very embarrassed to leave jobs undone when it's for someone else.
  • Cynicism and fear of failure: Australians hate to fail. We're not just embarrassed by it; we often won't start a job if we think it's risky. However, having started it, we're relentless until we succeed. We're very cynical of big ideas, grand words, shooting for the moon and magnificent plans. American sales techniques fail with most Australians.
  • Quality = relationships: To an Australian, the quality of work or a product is often measured by the quality of the relationship you have with the person who sold you the product or did the work. This contrasts with other nations' ideas of quality. E.g. French may relate quality with luxury; Americans may see quality as robustness; Germans may see quality as precision; Japanese often see it as function. Australians see it as the honesty, friendliness and care of the person who sold it to you.
  • Friendly aggression: Australians often find the measure of one another through friendly aggression - insults, irreverence, sarcasm and irony. We build trust and confidence in people who are robust enough to cope with our jibes. The more we insult you, generally the more we like you. Give a good insult back and we respect you. Get riled or collapse, and we'll lose respect.
The way that we use slang and idiom embodies these values. Get the values right and it will probably look plausible, even if the slang is a bit off.

Hope this helps!

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ruv that's excellent info! Thank you thank you thank you!

But it also brings up another question. Here in America there's a big "politically correct" movement, and it seems a lot of people feel like they have to tip-toe around what they say lest they inadvertently offend someone. I assume that hasn't leaked into Australia yet? (Please tell me no... that would be depressing)

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
Well, in Sydney last Christmas, they wanted to ban Santa saying "ho ho ho" because it was offensive to women...

I think the PC movement is everywhere, but that is the public - the public thinks big sensible thoughts, whereas the people will always do as they please.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Friendly aggression: Australians often find the measure of one another through friendly aggression - insults, irreverence, sarcasm and irony. We build trust and confidence in people who are robust enough to cope with our jibes. The more we insult you, generally the more we like you. Give a good insult back and we respect you. Get riled or collapse, and we'll lose respect.

Jeez mate! You must really love us Poms then.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
But it also brings up another question. Here in America there's a big "politically correct" movement, and it seems a lot of people feel like they have to tip-toe around what they say lest they inadvertently offend someone. I assume that hasn't leaked into Australia yet? (Please tell me no... that would be depressing)

PC is here, but it's pretty toothless.

Australia has a cynical, ironic culture, and I think that language control is pretty useless on us. We find ironic ways of saying whatever we mean anyway. We pay far more attention to how someone behaves than what they actually say. Only politicians, public servants and lobby groups take PC very seriously; the rest of us snicker behind our hands. It's hard to treat PC seriously in a culture where friends insult each other all the time anyway. We're far better at being Politically Incorrect than correct, I believe -- everyone gets a serve.

A key difference in Australia is that while we have our share of bigotry, the word 'race' just doesn't appear here much. We generally pay more attention to culture than skin-colour. In other words, we generally don't think much about 'black, white, yellow and brown' people. We think more about your tribe - Thai, Cambodian, Croatian, Chinese, Macedonian, Maltese, Brit, Irish, Ukranian etc... It's in how you talk, how you act, how you dress, what foods you eat. We can be just as bigoted as anyone else, but we tend to be quite specific about it.

We enjoy trading friendly insults, and we'll unashamedly use gender or ethnic insults to do it. We feel bound by our sense of Australianness to be on the same level - so poking at people's differences is often seen as fun rather than denigration. With strangers we're generally more careful about ethnic insults because we don't always know how they'll react. A great ice-breaker in Australian society is to make jokes at the expense of your ethnic origins. Mrs Draba, whose father is Chinese, often jokes 'Police never give me tickets. I'm an Asian woman. They know I can't drive.' (She drives perfectly well). A colleague of mine who's Sri Lankan and has chocolate-coloured skin all year round, would often tell me 'Just going out for a walk, to work on my tan'. My ancestry includes gypsies, and I'll often make jokes about stealing things. If you have English ancestry, Australians often make jokes about you not knowing what soap is. If you're from New Zealand, we'll often make jokes about attraction for sheep.

Everyone gets a serve -- unless you're in dire circumstances. We don't like kicking a man when he's down, but we'll happily kick the sh*t out of him while he's standing up.

Australians do religious jokes but I don't see many religious insults. On the whole I think we're quite shy on matters of religious faith - not because it's sacred, but because it's intimate and emotional.

Last edited:

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
We think more about your tribe - Thai, Cambodian, Croatian, Chinese, Macedonian, Maltese, Brit, Irish, Ukranian etc... It's in how you talk, how you act, how you dress, what foods you eat. We can be just as bigoted as anyone else, but we tend to be quite specific about it.

Truth's to tell, I'd prefer it that way. It's far better than someone picking a tribe for me: "Tiger? Oh, that Chinese guy." I've nothing against Chinese people, I just ain't one.

Love the icebreaker mechanisms too.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Jeez mate! You must really love us Poms then.
Tweaking the English is a national pastime in Australia. We'd much prefer to vex you in sport if we can. But if not then we'll make jokes about English weather, or food, or bathing habits or whining. (And where it's not true - and most of it isn't - we'll just pretend that it is anyway)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Tweaking the English is a national pastime in Australia. We'd much prefer to vex you in sport if we can. But if not then we'll make jokes about English weather, or food, or bathing habits or whining. (And where it's not true - and most of it isn't - we'll just pretend that it is anyway)

If you want whining, you should go to Earls Court in London and listen to Australian backpackers talking about the weather.

Last edited: