? about contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

LC123

Registered
Reaction score
I just accepted a request to do a 6th edition of a non-fiction book that I've (obviously) done five editions of over the past 17 years. Each contract since the second has been identical in royalty paid and all other aspects. Does anyone ever re-negotiate in such situations?

LC123

Registered
Reaction score
No, it has been in print continuously for 17 years. Actually, they don't send me a complete new contract, just a few pages with updated due dates for me to sign. All the terms of the previous contract remain the same. I was wondering if anyone re-negotiates any other terms in such cases.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have royalty "bumps" for certain sales targets? That would be one way to get more compensation if the book does well.

People do renegotiate this stuff, especially with books that are popular as university textbooks.

LC123

Registered
Reaction score
<< Do you have royalty "bumps" for certain sales targets? >>

I have two royalty percentages, with the higher one kicking in at a certain sales target. Here's what's kind of bothering me, though. Reading this site, it seems like some (many?) people's royalties are based on cover price. Mine are not, they're based on the price that the publisher sells it to retailers for. I think. I never really got straight what the hell they're based on, but I know it's not cover price. And it's not just the case with this non-fiction book, it's the case with my recently published textbook, too. The non-fiction is with a moderate-size house, the textbook is with a giant house, if it makes a difference.

Is this something I should be bothered about?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Being paid on net is not that unusual for non-fiction works. What distrubs me about this is that you haven't upped your advance in 17 years. There's the travesty. An agent would have certainly renegotiated this clause, I'm certain. Heck, I did it without an agent.

Are you representing yourself with this work?

Tri

LC123

Registered
Reaction score
I have never had an agent. I probably should look for one. I have no reason to think that the contracts I signed weren't standard, but truthfully, I wouldn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.