Which helps an author more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
I know that those first few weeks after a book is released are crucial for an author, but which helps the author more... pre-orders or buying in that first week after it's release?

I'm asking because there are a couple of books I'm planning on buying (ie. Susan Breen's debut novel, The Fiction Class) and was curious which might help the author more as far as their sales stats go.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've heard, pre-orders means that more copies will be shipped to the store (and sometimes the stores in that district). All copies sold within the first week or two are important.

Don't know if that helps.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Neither. It's all about marketing. If it's marketed correctly, who cares how it sells? As long as it's selling, it's all good. No matter how you purchase a book in the first few weeks, it helps the author.

And, just throwing this out there as a TOTALLY disinterested party, but it also helps to buy after an author has died. Helps the heirs, that is... *coughs*

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I don't think it makes all that much difference. Marketing is the key to big sales and getting the writer's name out there where people will hear about the author and the book. If you want to do your bit to help the novelist, buy the book and post a review on Amazon. This will encourage other readers to buy and plump up those sales.
Linnea

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Actually, it makes HUGE difference. Definitely do the pre-order from a major store, rather than buy it from the store during the week of release. Here's the reason:

1. Individual chain bookstores "report" sales of books on an odd day to their district office (could be Wednesday or Thursday.) Books are generally released on Tuesday. Pre-orders are reported the same day the book comes out. A book purchased on Wednesday might not be reported to the home office until the following week. Hence it's not a "sale" for the purpose of point of sale bestseller lists.

2. It appears that Amazon.com and B&N.com report their sales of books in the week FOLLOWING the week of sale to BookScan. USA Today seems to get the info the same week for some reason, but BookScan rankings are equally important to the image of the book in its debut week.

3. By making a pre-order, the bookstore manager immediately withdraws books from the received order. Once again, re-orders of books occur on Thursday or Friday so the warehouse (often in another city) can have the books to them by the weekend. If the request goes in on Tuesday, and a BUNCH of stores also have reorders, it can drive a second print run right away, if the publisher didn't print many extra copies outside the actual ordered books (pretty common with debuts.)

So, IMO---help the author out with a pre-order. :)

Last edited:

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
Thanks for all the replies, most especially to Cathy C for the great detailed explanation. That's exactly the information that I was looking for. I guess I'll be making a trip to my local bookstore to make some pre-orders.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was thinking of getting the same book, Susan. Thanks for asking the question. Maybe it's time to order it.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the question, and for the answer. You guys are the best!

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
KTC: You're welcome. Once I read the description of the book, I knew that it would be one that I wanted to read.

Susan: I pre-ordered today at our local Barnes & Noble. In fact, I ordered two... one for myself and one to give as a gift to a writer friend who also teaches writing classes and workshops. And here's wishing that you sell loads more books.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There is something so exciting when a bunch of your friends buy the book from Amazon on the same day and it sets your sales rating careering madly upward.

Sigh.

Not that I check my Amazon sales ratings constantly or anything. Or that I'll do it when my next book comes out or anything. Nope, not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.