PDA

View Full Version : Of malt beverages and tortilla chips

Perks
01-20-2008, 10:19 PM
So, who are we rooting for today? I have beer and my famously special football nachos at the ready, but my picks will leave me terribly conflicted for the Big Game in two weeks.

I love the asymmetry of a completely perfect record for the Patriots, but have a terrible soft spot for the grizzly Brett Favre. No one can have a bad day like #4 and, in contrast, nothing's more thrilling than watching him turn a sow's ear into a silk purse (or a Lombardi trophy.)

Tell me, tell me, my loves, what do you hope for today?

TrainofThought
01-20-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm cooking my dinner in the crockpot and have my chips and alcohol ready.

Here is wishing:

AFC: I want the Chargers to win because I canít stand Brady, but Iím sure the Patís will win. But if the Patís lose today, I WILL run outside naked. Actually, I wonít :D itís about 10 degrees here not including the wind chill.

NFC: Believe it or not, a Bears fan wants the Packers to win. Favre is a great quarterback and I know he returned this year to win the Super Bowl so he can FINALLY retire. It comes down to who can handle the FREEZING temperatures along with the wind chill. Favre didn't do so good the last time he played Da Bears. The weather was grueling.

Go Chargers and Green Bay!

I still can't get over wanting our rival to win the whole thing.

Perks
01-20-2008, 10:57 PM
I've read a lot of people saying that they can't stand Brady. He sort of flies under my radar and doesn't really bother me one way or the other. I do admire his sangfroid in the face of very big men wanting to tear him to pieces. He's so relaxed, it's inhuman.

My deal with the Patriots is Randy Moss. God how I hated that skinny bastard and his horrible attitude, but he's brought it around enough with the Pats, that I find myself impressed with his talent and his willingness to throw his skinny ass under a tank-in-a-helmet to help his team. Also that he seems often content to draw too much coverage to let other things develop.

And 19-0 is just too pretty of a record. The Patriots aren't 'my team', but I could root for them for that alone... if they aren't playing Grandpa Farve. Then I don't know what I'm going to do.

quickWit
01-20-2008, 10:59 PM
NFC: Believe it or not, a Bears fan wants the Packers to win.

You're not alone, ToT. I'll be rooting for Favre today also. I've got sausage and peppers all set to go, beer in the fridge and chips at the ready.

Happy, happy day!

TrainofThought
01-20-2008, 11:06 PM
I've read a lot of people saying that they can't stand Brady. He sort of flies under my radar and doesn't really bother me one way or the other. I do admire his sangfroid in the face of very big men wanting to tear him to pieces. He's so relaxed, it's inhuman.
We all have different perceptions. I don't consider his relaxed attitude as inhuman. I think he is a cocky sonofabitch. Granted, I don't know much about him, but I'm going by what I see. :D So if Green Bay and the Pat's wind up in the Super Bowl, I hope Favre wipes Brady's smug attitude in the dirt.

Yes, I'm not holding back. ;)

Perks
01-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Yes, I'm not holding back. ;)And why would you? It only happens once a year!

Haggis
01-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Brady and the Pats. Gotta go there. Brady's a Michigan man. Gotta love the record too. And, yes, Moss has seemed to clean up his image. I hope he keeps that up.

And I also have to root for the old man and the Packers. He's been a Lions killer for a long time (along with most everybody else), but he's a guaranteed hall of famer. I'd love to see him go out with a win.

Most of all, I really want to watch that game in GB today. That's the football I remember. And I guarantee I'll be somewhere warm and toasty while I'm watching it.

quickWit
01-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Brady's a Michigan man.

I'm glad someone else said it. Go BLUE!

Haggis
01-20-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm glad someone else said it. Go BLUE!

Hail to the victors valiant.

Perks
01-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I don't consider his relaxed attitude as inhuman. I think he is a cocky sonofabitch. I was thinking about this and wondering if any amount of arrogance could ever override my fundamental terror of a herd of pounding cleats bearing murderous intent upon my bones.

I want some! I'll risk being disliked. I just want to overcome my fear of death. Lol!

TrainofThought
01-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I was thinking about this and wondering if any amount of arrogance could ever override my fundamental terror of a herd of pounding cleats bearing murderous intent upon my bones.

I want some! I'll risk being disliked. I just want to overcome my fear of death. Lol!Yeah, I've seen some football players up close and, standing at 5' 3-1/2", I was intimidated.

I'd rather be confident, Favre, than cocky, Brady, but either way, my grim reaper can toss another misfortune my way instead of a 'herd of pounding cleats bearing murderous intent'. :D

Perks
01-20-2008, 11:46 PM
I know. He's going to get me one way or another, isn't he?

-tremble-

TrainofThought
01-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Iíve placed my bets with my nephew before this game. He wanted to bet even though we want the same teams to win. I have $5 on the Chargers and $5 on Green Bay. :Thumbs:

And after drinking a few beers I got a nice buzz going. :D

robeiae
01-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Sex.

Barring that, entertainment. I don't care who wins.

Cassiopeia
01-21-2008, 01:51 AM
I have been a Packer's fan since 1974 when my stepdad and I decided to choose opposite teams and watch football together.

Perks
01-21-2008, 03:29 AM
I used to work out with William Henderson of the Green Bay Packers in the off-season. Lovely, lovely guy. We shared some good laughs and I have to say that no one had ever made skipping look sexy to me before.

ETA - or since, as a matter of fact.

TrainofThought
01-21-2008, 03:40 AM
I'd love to see Howie Long skip. *sigh* I think he is so sexy. And that smile... I can't even continue.

Perks
01-21-2008, 03:41 AM
Yeah, that would work, too.

Unique
01-21-2008, 03:43 AM

Whirled peas
World Peace
The end to Violence
and more Viioliins

>''<

a room with a view
true love
and my own

Cassiopeia
01-21-2008, 03:57 AM
I used to work out with William Henderson of the Green Bay Packers in the off-season. Lovely, lovely guy. We shared some good laughs and I have to say that no one had ever made skipping look sexy to me before.

ETA - or since, as a matter of fact.oh you lucky lucky girl you! :D

Haggis
01-21-2008, 06:10 AM
Sex.

Barring that, entertainment. I don't care who wins.

Too early for you, unless you wear a condom.

TrainofThought
01-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Here is wishing:

AFC: I want the Chargers to win because I canít stand Brady, but Iím sure the Patís will win. But if the Patís lose today, I WILL run outside naked. Actually, I wonít :D itís about 10 degrees here not including the wind chill.

NFC: Believe it or not, a Bears fan wants the Packers to win. Favre is a great quarterback and I know he returned this year to win the Super Bowl so he can FINALLY retire. It comes down to who can handle the FREEZING temperatures along with the wind chill. Favre didn't do so good the last time he played Da Bears. The weather was grueling.

Go Chargers and Green Bay!

I still can't get over wanting our rival to win the whole thing.:(

Iíve placed my bets with my nephew before this game. He wanted to bet even though we want the same teams to win. I have $5 on the Chargers and $5 on Green Bay. :Thumbs: I'm out $10. :(

Haggis
01-21-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm bummed too. I really wanted to see Favre get to the big game before he rode off into the sunset.

Oh, well. The whiny little b*stard gets to go to the game instead. He's gotta beat a team with a perfect record. Good luck to him. Not.

Perks
01-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Grrrr. Well, the upside is, my best friend and family coming in two weeks are from Massachusetts. There will be harmony under the roof since we can all root against the damned Giants.

KTC
01-21-2008, 07:59 AM
What's football? The hockey game just ended. That's all I know.

quickWit
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I'd love to see Howie Long skip. *sigh* I think he is so sexy. And that smile... I can't even continue.

You'd have to fight through my wife to get to Howie. And let me tell you, she can scrap. She gets a guilty smirk on her face every time he appears on screen. (Although she was a bit disenchanted with his choice of headgear during game coverage yesterday).