proposal formatting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

determined2finish

something from nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am such a fan of this discussion board - it teaches me something new every time I visit. I recently have read a lot about what to put in a book proposal, but there doesn't seem to be much info available on how to format a proposal. If anyone could provide some basic info from the following questions I'd be very grateful:

1. Which type and size font is standard?
2. Does one double space throughout the entire proposal or just within the sample chapter section?
3. What size page margins are used?
4. In the TOC, how do you estimate what pages chapers will fall on, or do you not estimate this info?
5. Is there an average number of pages for the entire proposal?
6. How is the final proposal bound (staple, binder clip, folder etc.)?
7. Do you use a heavier, more expensive paper or just regular printer paper for your proposal?

Thank you!!!!

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, who runs this site, put up a sample non-fiction proposal: http://www.absolutewrite.com/novels/book_proposal1.htm
So you can check that out and compare. Hers is 18 pages long, mine was about 14. (minus sample chapters in both cases)

I think any reasonable font is fine. 12pt Times New Roman is rather common. I did mine in Courier though because of the word processing program I was using.

I've never heard of anyone estimating pages in a TOC, although perhaps some other poster has a different opinion on that. But it seems unnecessary.

I thought there was one agent who said he hated staples. I've sent all of my proposals so far online so I haven't had to think abou that yet.

determined2finish

something from nothing
Registered
Reaction score
zeprosnepsid: Thanks for your reply. I'm sooo glad to hear that people don't estimate page numbers in their TOC's :) You said you've submitted all your proposals online - were they to publishers or agents? Is this a common way to submit proposals? Just curious...

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll answer your questions just based on what I've learned in the last year or so of submitting proposals and talking to editors.

1. Editors are almost unanimous in preferring Times Roman or Courier, size 12 font.
2. I double spaced throughout the proposal, except in my section concerning the competition;there I singled spaced some bullet points made under each book mentioned (it just seemed more readable that way).
3. I used whatever the default setting is on my computer...it looks to be about 1 inch; the important thing is to NOT justify the right hand margin. Also, at the beginning of each section of your proposal, come down about 2 inches. (It allows them room for notes.)
4. My mss was already written, so I didn't have to estimate...
5. Mine was 27 pages long; I asked an editor at a conference if it was too long, and she said no, she expected it to be in the 20+ page range. I think it probably varies depending on your book.
6. Most editors seem to like the binder clip best; never staple.
7. I always use a fresh print run on the brightest paper available, (104-108 bright). Some editors have a thing about really good quality paper.

Hope this helps!

P.S. It is not common to submit proposals by email, though some publishers obviously accept them that way.

Last edited:

DeePower

What to include in your proposal

The above answers are pretty much right on.

I know you didn't ask but I thought you might be interested in the following information.

Agents and editors believe that an author's platform is very important to the success of a nonfiction book. A platform is simply the national exposure an author can give to a title through their own media network, radio show, TV show, speaking engagements, and reputation in the industry that is relevant to the book.

If you don't have a platform, start working on one through the publication of articles, local seminars, and enhancing your reputation. Even just a few accomplishments on your part demonstrates that you have the ability to promote your book. Include what you've done and what you plan to do in your proposal in the marketing section.

Dee

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
I was submitting to agents online. Very few let you do it. But some do. Like Levine-Greenberg (I think that's what they are called). And a few other places.

But mostly it's snail mail.

determined2finish

something from nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Pat: Wow! I'm so happy you were able to answer each question with such detail...you could write a book on formatting proposals. I like your idea of using bullet points for the competition section. One thing, what is 104-108 bright paper?

Dee: thanks for your suggestion about a platform. I don't think I have one, but maybe if I continue specializing my writing I can develop one.

zeprosnepsid: good luck with your proposal submissions:)

Status
Not open for further replies.