You know you're shrinking when .... (& I'm talkin' 'bout height!)

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
... when you can look everyone you live with right in the belly button!!

... when you can reach nothing in the kitchen cupboards without the use of the barbeque grabber-thingys

(me = 5'3 3/4 with several pairs of socks on, DH = 6'4, son #1 = 6', son 2 = 6'1") it's lonely down here!

on the good side, though, I stay dry longer in a rain storm!

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
When you ask yourself "what's that smell" and you realize it's your wife's socks.

ona

Registered
Reaction score
you realise the "height" number you have always given is now incorrect, by an inch

where did it go ?

what's that song ... "short people got no reason to live ..."

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
you realize you'll never make 6' in this life time. ;)

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
And sometimes Darling Husband. Once in a while, Damn Husband. :)

Lacking 1/4" of being 5'.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
You have a legitimate concern about this issue, enter the thread about it, and find yourself truly disappointed that everyone seems to be treating it as a joke.

(I'm 5'11" and have had trouble finding pants long enough to my legs since junior high. Recently, I noticed I'm actually WALKING on the backs of my pants. Seriously, this is effed up.)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You have a legitimate concern about this issue, enter the thread about it, and find yourself truly disappointed that everyone seems to be treating it as a joke...
What's wrong with the humor? I didn't think we were discussing serious height issues.

I imagine anyone is welcome to offer a more somber tone, though.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with the humor? I didn't think we were discussing serious height issues.

I imagine anyone is welcome to offer a more somber tone, though.

No worries, SK. I was actually going for humor myself because I've been walking on my pants and I didn't think that would actually come across as a serious height issue. More that I'm... You know, walking on my pants. But, being as I just pulled a 13-hour, awake overnight shift, I failed miserably. Whoops. Maybe I should have put "truly" in italics. Italics often convey my sarcasm well. Slanty letters are just teasing. Straight letters are all business. Or something to that effect.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was a statement. Got sick and tired of the jokes at a very young age. ::and they never stopped:: My husband is the only one who never teased me. He's 5'11" but most think he's 6'. Maybe the broad shoulders. We never figured it out.

My niece always had a problem with clothes. Pants became easier when they came out with tall sizes, but long sleeved blouses and pullovers tended to remain hard to find to fit her. Her arms are long too, so my sister had to shop hard to find ones her daughter could wear.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Use the sarcastic font. ;)

Ooo! That gave me an idea. I could have included a winky smile. Those convey teasing tones just as well as slanty letters, if not better. Thank God for you, Mr. Winking Blue Ball of Doom.

Incidentally, if people on this board winked as often in real life as they do online, everyone would stare at them and think Wow, what a spaz. Or possibly Wow, what a dirty old man.

ETA: (That was the "internal monologue" italics, guys, AND the "I'm only teasing" italics. Just sayin'.)

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
How did I find this thread, anyway?

I buy clothes off the rack in China, but admittedly at the upper end of the size-o-meter.

When they took those class photos in kindergarten, and lined up the class from shortest to tallest, I was in front of the girls. I spent the first 16 years of my life that way. Now as I explained on the NFL thread, as one of the shortest 11-year-olds in North Carolina, I played football with the 15-year-olds and learned that my shoulder was the same height as their bellies, meaning they fell down and went boom. I'm 5'10" these days, but in my heart I'll always be a shorty.

What does that mean? Nothing at all. Gimme rep!

P.S. When I swung through Wilmington, North Carolina, at age 12, I was (of course) the shortest person in my homeroom class. Before I showed up, the shortest person in that room was Michael Jordan. Yes, THE Michael Jordan. Damn nice guy, too, unlike the rest in that room.

P.P.S. I left that school after one year, moved to Tampa, Florida, and one of my classmates won a Pulitzer Prize. Which one impressed my students in China more?

P.P.P.S. My brain is shrinking.

Last edited:

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
...you realize you were the inspiration for the surly gnome, Angus, in my next novel...

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all, thx much for the great posts, like my Kingeth said, humor or sober thoughts are fine. I luv jokin'. :D