religion in sci-fi/fantasy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
does this turn you off? do you try to incorporate it in your story? if so, do you instill your own beliefs or, if more appropriate, the beliefs of a system that's more likely to exist that may not be your own? do you use religion in a metaphoric/symbological way, or is it just there as a function of that society?

is putting heavy religion into your story playing with fire?

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
I don't know about Fantasy, but...

Miller did it with A Canticle for Leibowitz and it worked out well.
Sagan did it with Contact and it worked out well.
Asimov did it with Foundation and it worked out well.

Those three roughly cover the spectrum from believer to skeptic to atheist, I think, and none of the books were overly preachy. I enjoyed them all. If the author isn't trying to shove his beliefs down my throat, pro or con, I can get into it.

Religion plays a huge role in much of SF, and it's usually an unflattering one. My pet theory is that this is a large part of why SF isn't considered mainstream. 90% of Americans call themselves religious or spiritual while only 10% would list their religion as "none." (1989) (I'm picking on America simply because it's the largest fiction market.) No wonder SF is considered marginal.

(When religion's role is not unflattering, as in Canticle, the book can become a major mainstream success.)

My own views on religion and the SF ghetto aside, if an author becomes too preachy--either way--it turns me off no matter what the genre. In my writing religion plays a background role if there's a reason to mention it, or none at all. But I wouldn't be adverse to writing a SF novel with religion as the central theme. Just not a preachy one.

Last edited:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Galoot said:
Religion plays a huge role in much of SF, and it's usually an unflattering one. My pet theory is that this is a large part of why SF isn't considered mainstream. 90% of Americans call themselves religious or spiritual while only 10% would list their religion as "none." (1989) (I'm picking on America simply because it's the largest fiction market.) No wonder SF is considered marginal.
And maybe, it's just a way to handle bolognium when nothing else seems to work quite as well . . .

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Religion is a huge aspect of my current WIP, and it's an entire subplot on its own. I didn't intend to incorporate it -- take the extra step to make it important -- but that's just how the story went.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I think that any future society (or any alien society) that doesn't take religion into account is poorly developed. That doesn't mean that it has to be a major theme in every story, but you should know what the religions are like. (BTW, a world with only one religion is probably not very realistic either).

For instance, can you really have a character say: "Oh my God!" or "What the hell?" if there is no concept for either (as with an alien society) or if all religion died out (as in a future society). Can you refer to someone's "angelic" smile? Can you say, "Boy, that cake smells heavenly!"?

I believe that religion is inherent in human psychology, and there will always be religion of one sort or another. If that is true, then if your story deals with morality or ethics of any sort, the religions of the various characters MUST come into play.

So what if you want a completely atheistic world? Fine. Build one. But if it's human, you'd better have a good explanation for it because the vast majority of human societies have some sort of religion. If your society is alien, you better have some analog for religion for defining ethics and morality.

If you want a current model for how to handle religion in fiction, I'd look to Orson Scott Card. He is generally pro religion (Catholic), but it is handled so well that you hardly notice.

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
While aethists might not see it that way, Aetheism can be thought to be a religion depending on perspective. Religion is a word that denotes a belief system. Christianity as a whole is a religion with varying doctrines within the belief system. There is also Satanism, Buddhism, and so forth.

I believe that religion is inherent in human psychology, and there will always be religion of one sort or another. If that is true, then if your story deals with morality or ethics of any sort, the religions of the various characters MUST come into play.

I agree with this to a point. I think it would depend on the story whether religion need come into play at all. Some beliefs and actions can be explained without any emphasis on the religion behind them. If you try to include religion as a MUST, especially a particular religion, you may end up laboring your story unnecessarily. Still other stories will benefit from having religions heavily threaded through them.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
My point is not that every story MUST have religion in it. It is that you as the author MUST know what the religion(s) in your story is. If you don't, you don't really know how your characters think.

If the story is primarily about morality or ethics, then your characters' religious beliefs become pivotal and must be introduced. This is true even if it is a non-religious religion like Aetheism or Communism.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Galoot said:
Miller did it with A Canticle for Leibowitz and it worked out well.
Sagan did it with Contact and it worked out well.
Asimov did it with Foundation and it worked out well.

To those, I would add Gene Wolfe and R. A. Lafferty as two writers who have on many occasions incorporated religion into their works very effectively.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
In some of my current works, there are several religions present that are there with only brief descriptions of their beliefs in order to better set apart the cultures of the worlds I created. It gives a potential point of conflict for me to use, should I need it, yet it also goes to show why some of the characters act in different ways in each story. All in all, it makes the overall worlds seem more realistic because those are worlds with business, labor, economics, politics, and religion, to list just a few. Those are no longer worlds with just black and white viewpoints. Instead, there are shades of gray and colors to contend with.

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
And as for fantasy, I tend to find it a little odd when a fantasy novel (particularly the traditional Medieval-time-frame type) does not include some religion. It doesn't need to be central to the plot, but I would think that there ought to be some evidence of religion. Cathedral spires on the horizon. Shops closing one day in seven. Making a little burnt offering before setting out on a journey. Swearing by the Saints. Occasional feastdays. Whatever.

Religion is so important in real human societies -- especially when societies intermingle -- that its absence from fictional societies is noticable.

That said, I would think that emphasizing religion heavily into a story would be difficult. Not because it's religion, per se, but because religion is a complicated bit of world building. It isn't impossible to construct a plausible religion from whole cloth, of course, but it is easy to do it badly.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Wandering Sensei said:
Orson Scott Card is Mormon, I believe.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Card was Catholic. I have no idea what religious affiliation he has (if any). What I meant was that he has some sympathetic characters that are Catholic, and therefore his writing was pro-Catholic. (I was thinking of "Ender's Shadow".)

I should have left the parenthetical out altogether.

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I thought you meant Orson himself, not his characters. Just setting the record straight.

BTW, if you ever have a chance to hear Orson speak, do! He's great to listen to.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I agree with Jameson. Religion tends to be a huge factor in almost every society that has ever existed. Many, many fantasy novels completely ignore this. And even more throw in a token priest or monk just to imply religion exists in the world, but the main characters themselves won't have any particular faith. As a reader I'll happily buy a main character who doesn't address religion, but I have trouble swallowing a community devoid of it.

I am not a religous person, but the worlds I work with tend to completely revolve around their faith. Even those who aren't religious have difficulty avoiding it, which is how it is in real life.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
i'm sure this has changed, but it seems to me that most alien species come from a one-world religion, if it's mentioned at all. that's always stood out to me as being unrealistic because it strongly implies that there's also a one-world culture. it rather seems one-dimensional world-building. worse is that all aliens have 'grown up' to the point where religion is a laughable concept. it might work for an hour-long episode, but a book i hold to a higher standard.

i especially like the comment about how easy it is to screw religion up. there's always something about it that goes unaddressed as far as the reader is concerned, eh? at least that's the risk you run. i've found that writing religious-based stories it sometimes has a snowballs effect in that the religious angle begins to overwhelm the commentary i began with.

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
There was a thread here a while ago on using invented languages in novels -- a popular meme in fantasy, I think, because Tolkien did it. My feeling, and I daresay the concensus of the posters in the thread, was that inventing a language that rang true was awfully difficult. Humans are attuned to language, and languages have evolved over thousands of years, so trying to invent a language by oneself in a couple months is a formidable task. The most successful uses of fictional languages I've seen -- the ones that ring the most true -- are languages that closely mimic real languages. Latin. Japanese. Russian. And usually those languages are used sparingly.

I am, of course, drawing a parallel here between languages and religion. Religions, too, have evolved over a long period of time, and tend to be integrated into society in ways that readers recognize. THat make sense in their world view. And I think that the most successful uses of fictional religions I've seen -- the ones that ring the most true -- are religions that closely mimic real religions. Christianity. Islam. Bhuddism. And usually those religions are used sparingly in the novel.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Remember the Babylon 5 episode where each of the races were supposed to put on a demonstration of their religious practices? Each world had one dominant religion, but Earth had this long string of different ones. The implication is that we were unusual in the universe for that, but how realisitic is that?

It's really just lazy writers. After all, you don't have to define the theology of each. How much do you know about all the religions of the world? If you're like me, just a little bit.

Catholic and Protestant are essentially the same religion, but can't get along for some reason. Christianity is an offshoot of Judiasm. Islam is a monotheistic religion from the same roots as Judiasm but split a loooong time back. Buddasim is a non-religion religion -- more of a philosophy than a religion. Hindu has a god for everything and in everything. Each of these religions have various sects that have essentially the same beliefs but hate each other nonetheless. Some believe in eternal after-life (though different kinds) and some believe in re-incarnation.

That's really all you need to know to create a realistic religious system in your novel. Hint at the differences and have your characters behave in accordance. You might concentrate on one religion (most regions have a major religion), but at the very least, admit the existance of others. You should also consider having characters who are athestic. There will always be people who believe in nothing but themselves.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
also a thing to consider is that there are also 'fundamentalists', which seems to be the extreme. therein lies your terrorists and crusaders and inquisitioners and people who refuse medical treatment (okay, i'm sure my definition of 'fundamentalists' is off-base for anyone who cares to correct my ignorance). the point is there are extremists and people who take a religion literally or view it as more allegorical and open to interpretation. how can you explain snake-handlers?

that's another good pick: buddhism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy. you're right, too, when you say that in a complex society, it seems like lazy writing to have only a single religion. i'm not saying it's implausible, but it borders that considering a lot of alien characters presented have so many human traits. when basically a human character is presented, the only difference being they've got funny faces, there seems to be a lot of over-simplification involved in their fictional culture. and it's funny when you've got alien races you watch on a t.v. show for five years and in the end really don't know that much about their society beyond a few rather generic episodes that basically scratches the surface of a single aspect of their society. i think delving into these societies just a little deeper has been star trek's major boon.

true, i don't need a detailed history lesson, but it would be nice to see an orc craft a crude shrine and pray in the woods before a battle to illustrate that there's a culture there, too, that's not simply killing and avarice. in our own history, religion has been the major impetus for a lot if not most of world events (and still is, i guess). religion dictates thoughts and action, so to remove that incredible influence leaves something lacking to me. especially in fantasy, i think religion for the characters has been very downplayed more often than not. certainly, i find frodo hard to connect with because of his asexual, agnostic-seeming stance (though you could argue frodo is queerer than a three dollar bill, that aspect isn't overt, i think).

without a religious stance and no sexual attitude, man, what the hell do you base a character on, anyway? lol. 'uh, psychology.' hardly. you might get lucky with a character without religion or sex, but that's all it would be, luck. 'uh, philosophy.' oh, and sex and religion doesn't strike at the heart of a philosophy? sex/religion are basic character foundations, so why do people so often ignore these? oh, yeah-- they write boring, unrealistic characters who rely on setting more than story.

try this as a pick-up line: 'hey, baby, i have no religious stance nor do i have any discernable sexual proclivities. wanna, ya know, get a vanilla milkshake?' yeah, you're probably not going to get a lot of action with that. so, how is it characters are able to accomplish their goals? 'uh, determination.' determination based on what? you can't have a good character determined for determination's sake. 'jake steel was determined to be a starship captain.' okay, why? 'just cuz' don't fly over the course of four-hundred pages.

religion, too, is so important because it's usually the basis of a character's philosophy. aetheist or agnostic connotes certain character traits to me. so, if old jake is determined to be captain from an aetheistic standpoint, now you're starting to build a character's framework. as long as the details don't contradict that attitude (giving enough room for character growth), that's probably a good start. if he's rather a womanizer, or not, hey, that's almost a character.

i say all this and can prove myself a fool (or more so, heh heh) by looking at some otherwise great characters which are sometimes hard to pin down. captain kirk, i'm looking at you. a womanizing star captain with somewhat shady methods of operation. i don't think it's ever been satisfactorily settles what religion, if any, kirk belongs to. indeed, he seems very self-serving much of the time. sure, he's basically a good guy, but you also know the only reason he isn't banging every yoeman who saunters by with a four-inch thick clipboard is because he'd be thrown out of starfleet faster than he could say, 'but that green woman came on to *me*!' yeah, sure she did, kirk, sure she did.

i don't think kirk has much of a religious sense to him. certainly there's an arrogance attached with hot-shot commanders, and with so much power over people's lives there may be a self-worshipping attitude, so maybe his apparent agnostic leanings work best for that character. he knows he's not a god, but, damnit, he probably has had to go through a spell where he thought he was pretty close to it.

maybe that's good characterization after all. at least in kirk's case there's an implication there that some things i've read and seen lack terribly. as a reader, it's helps me develop a sense of the character without being told (which is a good thing, right?) if these major aspects are alluded to. without allusions, where's the character?

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I like this thread so much, I went through and gave positive rep points to everyone who's posted in it.

Just like in real life there are tons of people with Captain-Kirk-like attitudes and lifestyles who also claim to be hardcore <Mormon, Catholic, Muslim, etc.> Their actions clearly are in conflict with their religious beliefs. I've always found that fascinating, but you rarely see that explored except in religious novels, which I don't like to read very much. A good exception is The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Anyone here read it? It was pretty slow at times, but I really enjoyed the book as a whole.

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Preyer

I'm afraid I'm a little confused with your last post.
Second paragraph, you state that "buddhism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy". Further in another paragraph you state: "religion, too, is so important because it's usually the basis of a character's philosophy". At other points you mention character beliefs, psychology, atheism, agnosticism, and culture.

Would you care to clarify? I'm not challenging anything, mind. I would hate to draw any kind of conclusions from your post without completely understanding.

SeanDSchaffer

On Religion in Fantasy

I personally think a little bit of religion in Fantasy is a good thing. I believe people are religious by nature and to take away religion entirely would be somewhat of an unrealistic venture.

As to the question in the first post about what religion I would personally write into my own work, I generally use my own beliefs in my work, if for no other reason than that I know my own personal faith and religion better than I know anyone else's.

Just my own personal take on this issue.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
moon, i hope this clarifies things: i have my opinions as to what creates a good character, a few of the major ones being sexual attitude and religion. those don't have to be shown outright, per se, but writers allude to, or at least should, i think, to these things by character actions/thoughts/conversations. i think often writers don't really know these things about their characters themselves until situations unfold, but good characters to me still aren't ambiguous by the end of a trilogy. in other words, i should have enough clues to piece together a character as a believable person (or alien, ghost, whatever). (as an aside, this is probably a large reason why i hate children characters, because they always tend to have it all figured out or have not one challengable opinion.)

like it was said, buddhism, as far as my research has borne out, is a non-religion religion. philosophy and religion go hand in hand (i'm deliberately leaving psychology, social pressure, and medical conditions out of the mix as i feel these tend to be the results from phil. and rel.), but there's a noticable difference. generally, most people's religion is given to them and that's what they grow up with. (i like saying no one ever woke up in salt lake city one morning and said, 'you know what, i think i'm a muslim!') since religion is by-and-large a part of growing up, philosophy stems from that upbringing. so, in a mundane case, a child is taught religion, and having that almost inbred basis (show me where you can escape a society'ss dominant religion), your philosophy is greatly influenced by that. of course, that's a general statement, but the 'well, i know 50 people who proves that's not true' doesn't impress me.

my personal philosophy is based on what i consider to be fact because i don't have a religion to tell me how to think. so, i'm often proven wrong (albeit i admit it's not easy getting me to that point, lol). but i'm an uninteresting character, truth be told (good thing i'm still good-looking). it's worth noting (at least i believe this to be true) that there's quite a bit of difference between faith-based 'truths' which can't be verified as opposed to factually-based philosophical opinion. the two compliment each other in a character, no (i'd say there's also an inherent conflict)? if i don't have a strongish sense of either, nor of sex, i get bored with that character.

plenty of folk think scientists are aetheist. not true. surveys say the majority of them have a faith. likewise, while i think most people consider philosophers as people trying to reason their way into aetheism, that's not true, either: most philosophers, i dare say, would claim philosophy brings them *closer* to their god (or so i've read by some philosopher over the years).

if there's a religion in a person's life, a religion the person actually believes in and follows, everything else is a trickle down effect, eh? religion dictates sexual practice and beliefs. sexual freedom or repression affects a person's personality (which like philosophy and religion, personality and psychology i think are one another's best friend and worst enemy). how a person spends his time and spends his money is greatly dictated by religion.

so, if i know a character is a devout catholic, i know a lot about that character. if you want to have him banging every secretary in his corner office, you can't call him devout. that's not just an exception of the character's beliefs, it's really a contradiction of the writer themselves, not of the character. 'devout, except for...' would be okay, but to denote a character as one thing and start picking him apart without foreshadowing or any basis for doing so is bad writing to me. conflicted characters are great as are characters who go against their normal ways of being-- those things just need to be justified.

i hope that helps, moon. :) i'm rather unclear as to what you're unclear about, though, lol.

that's an excellent line: 'i believe people are religious by nature....' are they? are people more 'religious by nature' a thousand years ago as opposed to a modern culture? and has that 'nature' been forced upon people, creating a false culture people otherwise wouldn't have considered were the concept of gods and religion not taught to the in the first place? were i completely ignorant of religion, i'd eventually wonder what a church is and why there are five of them in my neighbourhood. were i raised on an island totally without any concept of any religion, i wonder if i'd ever think there was a higher power without being told. you've pricked an excellent vein there, my friend. kudos. in that situation, i wonder what priorities i'd give my character. would sex become an overwhelming factor sans anything other than a safety issue? why do we not screw around on our wives, just because we promised her and God we wouldn't? why is it when a guy screws around, he's a dog, yet when a woman does it, it's usually a case of her 'not getting the attention/emotional support she needs at home'? lol. i just threw those last sentences in there. :)

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
It just seemed a bit contradictory is all... at one point you talked about buddhism as a philosophy, not a religion then further along it was as if you were stating that a religion is born of an individual's philosophy.

My own take on religion is rather simplistic: Culture + Philosophy = Religion. Granted that can cover a whole lot of ground in logically following it through to some sort of conclusion but it's starts with this basic principle.

As fas as the island concept, I believe a person would think there is a higher power. Man knows himself to be an imperfect being yet the world moves on in an organized way in spite of him. Since he has no hand in this movement he will attribute it to something outside himself. Thus a religion is born. He has to have some way to explain the world that makes sense to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.