Any "older" Denver residents?

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding information about the layout and features in the old Elitch Gardens location.

One of the scenes in my story takes place in Elitch Gardens in 1959, but except for the rides, I can't remember much detail about the place. I'm mostly interested in what the garden part was like, and how much of the amusement park it encompassed.

I'd appreciate any info from those who knew it around that time.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
When I was but a wee child....lol

My brother lived in Denver and when we would visit him guess where I got to go? I loved it. I only went at night so have no idea what to the full lay out. They put on one of the greatest 4th of July fireworks show that I ever saw in person.

Thanks for the memories.....;)

Gary

Registered
Reaction score

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
When I was but a wee child....lol

My brother lived in Denver and when we would visit him guess where I got to go? I loved it. I only went at night so have no idea what to the full lay out. They put on one of the greatest 4th of July fireworks show that I ever saw in person.

Thanks for the memories.....;)

That's my problem. I was there twice, and both times at night.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
I do live in Denver, but did not grow up here. However, I am in contact with some older people who did. If you PM me your questions, I'll (try to remember) to ask them.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I lived in Denver at that time—16 years old in 1959— and had spent quite a bit of time at the two amusement parks. Elitch Gardens was much smaller than Lakeside, the other big amusement park (about 1/2 mile away).

Elitch Gardens seemed geared more to adults. It was quieter, cleaner, and had fewer and smaller rides than its larger competitor. If I remember right, it also had a ballroom (big bands) and a playhouse that featured traveling theater companies. Overall, it had a more subdued, family-oriented atmosphere to it, even the rides seemed "toned down".

I can't help with info about the gardens because I was usually there at night. There were curved paths winding through the park with low fences that may have encircled gardens. But at that age, gardens were the last thing on my mind.

As I remember it, younger people much preferred the louder, grittier, Lakeside. It had more of everything: people, bigger rides, arcade games, noise.

Strange that I would have forgotten Lakeside, but I don't think I ever went there. I was 17, single, and stationed at Lowry AFB, so you would think I'd have visited a place with more to offer kids my age.

Your recollection of Elitch mirrors mine, but I'd sure like to find a map of the place from that era.

Thank you for responding.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I think I may have an old park map, but it would be from about 1980. It would still show the gardens. Give me a couple o days to check, it's buried in a box in the garage. (and don't hold your breath, I may have tossed it.)
So, is Elitch Gardens no longer there?

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I think I may have an old park map, but it would be from about 1980. It would still show the gardens. Give me a couple o days to check, it's buried in a box in the garage. (and don't hold your breath, I may have tossed it.)
So, is Elitch Gardens no longer there?

A map from 1980 would at least show the general layout, and that would help a lot. Thank you.

No, the name moved downtown and was purchased by Six Flags, but I heard they recently sold it again. From what I've read, the only remaining ride from the original location is the carousel.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Are you looking for particular information? I wasn't there, but lived in Denver for quite a while after that and had one good friend who lived there all her life (she's in her 60s) and spent a lot of time there as a kid. I'd be happy to ask her specific questions if it would help. :)

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Are you looking for particular information? I wasn't there, but lived in Denver for quite a while after that and had one good friend who lived there all her life (she's in her 60s) and spent a lot of time there as a kid. I'd be happy to ask her specific questions if it would help. :)

Thanks...I sent you a PM.