William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
obviously, developing skills as a writer is an important consideration. however, i find that my career would be best served by not having any competition.

in the spirit of realizing my dream, i respectfully ask that you all quit writing.

i know this may be hard to do. obviously, you have adoring relatives, impressed teachers and maybe even checks from editors - all of which are a living testament to your greatness. but they are wrong.

wrong, i say.

then who's right? everyone who ever told you that you suck. every rejection letter, every moment of self-doubt. therein lies the truth.

so, just stop.

i need the work.

respectfully yours,
william

p.s. since responding to this post would require use of your awesome writing skills, i ask that you don't.

just stop. for real. right now. nobody wants to read your crap.

oh yeah, and a note to editors: call me. you have no choice now.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Yer hired!
I have a 5 page list of topics that still need to be addressed right away.
If your writing brings in the dough, you might even get paid.
As for me, I'm taking a much needed vacation.

Gehanna

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
B...but how will I buy food?

Okay. Silly question. If I starve to death that'll be even less competition.

Fair enough.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
You got it! How much do you know about the effects of mitochondria on asthenozoospermia?

See ya later... I'm going to Hawaii to make shell creatures.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
Trust me. I'm not a big threat!

At the pace I'm going, I won't be a threat to any other writer.

(Yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself today.)

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
There's a problem with your theory. Perhaps you should tell all the ones better than you to quit. The ones who are worse can only make you look better.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
there are none worse. therein lies the crux of my problem.

I think you need a bit of ego boosting.

::attempts to channel cheerleader::

GO WILLIAM!!!!!!

::hangs head, noting that she failed abysmally::

seriously though, I've read some of the stuff you've posted, and I can guaruntee you there's worse...

my poem I wrote three years ago on "How to Eat Spaghetti" is one. I can't remember all of it. I lost the file. I am forever grateful. The first line was, "When eating spaghetti, one must not forget to slurp..."

Don't ask. It was a very odd year.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
alanna said:
The first line was, "When eating spaghetti, one must not forget to slurp..."

It must have been a spaghetti phase. Mine went, "Spaghetti and dreams, dreams and spaghetti."

And many more lines filled with suck. That's what I got for being 16, wheww, thank jeebus that was a long time ago! :crazy:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
obviously, developing skills as a writer is an important consideration. however, i find that my career would be best served by not having any competition.

in the spirit of realizing my dream, i respectfully ask that you all quit writing. ...

oh yeah, and a note to editors: call me. you have no choice now.
I'm charmed. That's a nice little piece of writing.

Unfortunately, what you're up against isn't your fellow writers; it's the reading public's short attention span and their boundless desire for immediate gratification. If you can scratch that itch, you can get published, whether or not your fellow writers keep trying. If you can't, readers aren't going to buy your books anyway.

Besides, if the Good Fairy granted your wish, and all the other writers gave up, the publishing industry would simply shift over to reprinting good works that have fallen out of print. There's no shortage of them.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Melina, quit drinking Pepsi while at the cooler. Ya know someone's gonna say somthing that'll cause ya to spray.

And um, btw, weren't you giving up Pepsi? How's come you were drinking the vile stuff anyway?

Nita

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Oops! Busted, dammit! See, now, what you've done, Haskins? You got me in trouble with my "get healthy" buddies!

Uh, oh--Hi, Nita:scared: Uh, yeah--I am supposed to be giving up that "vile" stuff. I gotta monkey on my back! It just won't leave me alone! Don't tell, huh? I can't stand to go through an intervention. I'll be good from now on, okay? You believe me, doncha?

:cry:

Melina

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
You know it's a successful piece of writing when it makes your readers involuntarily expel fluids.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Oops! Busted, dammit! See, now, what you've done, Haskins? You got me in trouble with my "get healthy" buddies!

all part of my master plan to save you from yourself. by spraying the pepsi out your nose, your kidneys will live to fight another day.

of course, you will be billed accordingly.

dr. william

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not good enough to be scary in the slightest. Nor do I work hard enough at it. However, I am good enough that when I needed a really badly-written line for a story I entered in a contest (didn't win--see?), I had to find one online and change it. I just couldn't write something suitably awful enough. I suppose that's progress, eh?

Maryn

QuietDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
My Two Cents (Pretty Cheap, Eh?)

Well here is my humble opinion about comparing yourself to other writers. Typically, I find comparing yourself to another writer can either vastly improve your writing or pull you into a hole. The hole being the "I'll never be as good as that guy" hole. We should all avoid this hole.

My thought is that all stories are kinda like music. Though people may have thier opinions on "what's better" or "what's horrible", it is only that, just an opinion. I believe that nothing I write is better nor worse than anything else that has been written. Just different. If you don't like my writing, than there is probably someone out there that does. I have tried to submit my book for publishing and have been told a range of things (all ended in rejection, some closer to success than others) from "Your writing style is too simple" to "Your writing style is simple, which is your strong point but I don't think there is a market for this particular genre."

Neither one of them wanted to publish my book (The bastards!), but at the same time I was told that my weak point is also my strong point by two different publishers. So what am I trying to say here? Just be yourself and keep trying. There may be 1000 publishers that say no, but if you get even 1 that can relate to your style, your in and have a gold oppurtunity to prove those who have rejected you in the past wrong.

Good luck to everyone still trying to get thier work published, don't give up!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.