PDA

View Full Version : Espresso

ErylRavenwell
01-18-2008, 08:23 AM
I've got a silly question: is an espresso a short, black coffee? I'm so ignorant on matters of coffee and don't feel like posting such a stupid question in the expert section. :D Thank you.

ChaosTitan
01-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Espresso is a concentrated coffee, made from a more finely ground bean. Very bitter.

Black coffee is just black coffee.

ErylRavenwell
01-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Espresso is a concentrated coffee, made from a more finely ground bean. Very bitter.

I used to live with that Italian girl, who would often make short, black coffee for me. It was pretty strong and aromatic. A couple of days ago I ordered an espresso (out of curiosity, never ordered one before) and it seemed quite similar to a short, black.

poetinahat
01-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Australians often refer to an espresso as a short black (don't know whether Kiwis do too).

[ETA: That term doesn't really have an American equivalent, where an espresso is just an espresso. Over here, a brewed coffee is sometimes called an Americano. That's what Starbucks calls them, anyway, since people otherwise assume a coffee will be espresso-based.]

The espresso is the essential unit of all the espresso-based drinks. There are some terms I've heard in Australia but nowhere else (bolded). Here's a short list of the better-known espresso drinks.

short black = espresso shot
long black = espresso shot (double, if it's done right) topped up with hot water (only to 2/3 cup)
cappuccino = espresso shot with hot milk and foam
flat white = cappuccino, but much less foam
latte = like a flat white, but much more milk
ristretto = same water as espresso, but double the grounds; less bitter
doppio = double espresso

Hope that helps.

ErylRavenwell
01-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Australians often refer to an espresso as a short black (don't know whether Kiwis do too).

The espresso is the essential unit of all the espresso-based drinks. There are some terms I've heard in Australia but nowhere else (bolded). Here's a short list of the better-known espresso drinks.

short black = espresso shot
long black = espresso shot (double, if it's done right) topped up with hot water (only to 2/3 cup)
cappuccino = espresso shot with hot milk and foam
flat white = cappuccino, but much less foam
latte = like a flat white, but much more milk
ristretto = same water as espresso, but double the grounds; less bitter
doppio = double espresso

Hope that helps.

Helps a lot. Cheers, mate. One of my characters drinks short black. Guess I better change it to espresso.

Joycecwilliams
01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Espresso tastes different in the US then it does in Italy.
First espresso is made differently from coffee and is made with an espresso maker.
True espresso has " crema" a foam emulsion. Espresso coffee is very dark and extremely fine grounds.
You sip it gingerly, not the big gulps that we as American's take. If you add heated, foamed milk to it.. It is Cappacino.
Espresso also has more caffine than regular coffee.

Hope that helps you.

E

It is served in

poetinahat
01-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Not to be argumentative - though I know this is - but I'm told that espresso has less caffeine than drip coffee. It tastes stronger, but because the water is forced through the grounds as steam, it doesn't leach out the caffeine the way drip or percolation does. It's a more concentrated drink, though.

Joycecwilliams
01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Not to be argumentative - though I know this is - but I'm told that espresso has less caffeine than drip coffee. It tastes stronger, but because the water is forced through the grounds as steam, it doesn't leach out the caffeine the way drip or percolation does. It's a more concentrated drink, though.

Don't think you are argumentative at all. Thanks for the correction. I just know that when I drank espresso in Italy... one in the morning was all I needed for the day.. :)

Cassiopeia
01-18-2008, 10:10 AM

Ohhh I knew there was a reason I stalk you!

Don't mind me just passing through. ;)

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I remember going to my cousin's one Christmas and he greets me at the door and tells me he just got an expresso machine for Christmas and well, here, let him tell you,

"IjustgotthisexpressomachineforChristmasanditmakest hegreatestcupofcoffeeI'veeverhad,I'vealreadyhadlik e20cupsbecausethey'resosmallandheythisismyalbumcol lectionanddidyou knowthatIalso.....:"

Perks
01-18-2008, 05:22 PM
And espresso will kill you, whereas drip coffee is sublime.

NeuroFizz
01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Not exactly right, Rob. See here:

http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/18

So, when I have my morning iced mocha (double shot of expresso in chocolate milk, over ice), I get a morning worth of air-humping productivity.

poetinahat
01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
I remember going to my cousin's one Christmas and he greets me at the door and tells me he just got an expresso machine for Christmas and well, here, let him tell you,

"IjustgotthisexpressomachineforChristmasanditmakest hegreatestcupofcoffeeI'veeverhad,I'vealreadyhadlik e20cupsbecausethey'resosmallandheythisismyalbumcol lectionanddidyou knowthatIalso.....:"
That was me after my three-hour barista course. It was brilliant. I loved the world.

You, I'm afraid, are insane.

Perks
01-18-2008, 05:24 PM
You, I'm afraid, are insane.Don't be afraid. It's not scary. And just because I'm insane doesn't mean I'm not right.

Run, Erin! Espresso is poison!

poetinahat
01-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Not exactly right, Rob. See here:

http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/18

So, when I have my morning iced mocha (double shot of expresso in chocolate milk, over ice), I get a morning-worth of air-humping productivity.

Thanks, Rich. I may have been misled by the Evil Espresso Industry. Or I may remember wrong. Furthermore, my apologies to you, Joyce, for erroneously correcting you.

So, one coffee - no matter what sort - is one coffee. That's similar to how the government here advises responsible drinking: a beer roundly approximates to a glass of wine or a shot of liquor (the alcohol quantity is called, in these parts, a "standard drink").

I stand, not only corrected, but jittery.

Perks
01-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I may have been misled by the Evil Espresso Industry. See? I told you.

poetinahat
01-18-2008, 05:34 PM
It's not your fault; it's your username. I see now how you never stood a chance.

NeuroFizz
01-18-2008, 05:35 PM
For some things in life
it's okay to hitch a string
through my nose ring
and give a gentle pull

truelyana
01-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Yup, that's what it's about in a small cup. It's concentrated and toasted beforehand. We have two expresso machines, and make them all the time.

CaroGirl
01-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Can I just point out, in the interest of nitpickiness, that it's ESpresso. Not, never, and no how EXpresso, and it should be pronounced accordingly. This is one of those pet peeves that is so violent within me that I feel it must be shortening my lifespan.

poetinahat
I get a morning worth of air-humping productivity.

For some things in life
it's okay to hitch a string
through my nose ring
and give a gentle pull
That's it -- back to jasmine tea for you!

Perks
It's not your fault; it's your username. I see now how you never stood a chance.Excellent. Finally, someone realizes I never meant to mislead anyone into thinking I was 'perky'. Thank god.

NeuroFizz
01-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Excellent. Finally, someone realizes I never meant to mislead anyone into thinking I was 'perky'. Thank god.
You wonderful fringe benefit, you.

truelyana
01-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Can I just point out, in the interest of nitpickiness, that it's ESpresso. Not, never, and no how EXpresso, and it should be pronounced accordingly. This is one of those pet peeves that is so violent within me that I feel it must be shortening my lifespan.

Thanks for pointing that out. :) We don't use that term in Portuguese, we call it Bica. So, I hadn't realised how to spell it in English, considering I never use it.

brokenfingers
01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Not to be argumentative - though I know this is - but I'm told that espresso has less caffeine than drip coffee. It tastes stronger, but because the water is forced through the grounds as steam, it doesn't leach out the caffeine the way drip or percolation does. It's a more concentrated drink, though.Actually, espresso has less caffeine per serving - but it comes in much smaller servings than regular coffee. If you were to serve a cup of espresso in the same size cup as regular coffee, it'd contain more caffeine.

Overall, espresso has about three times the amount of caffeine as regular coffee.

NeuroFizz
01-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Benefits of the fringe
of lace and largess
a monument
to emolument
our Perks

But beware your
offer of gratuity
or a stubbed stud
you'll bear
for perpetuity

Sorry, Rob. Too late for the jasmine tea...

Perks
01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
You wonderful fringe benefit, you.I always liked you, NF.

ETA - WAIT! You wrote me a poem. Lovely and thank you.

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2008, 06:34 PM
I love me a good cup a joe. Not national brand Folgers or Hills Brothers. And certainly not Starbucks. But a good local coffeestore that roasts its own. That is sublime.

Although I do like Caribou's depthcharge which is a cup a joe with a shot of expresso dropped in. (Didn't want to totally derail the thread.)