PDA

View Full Version : The Nightmare Makers

CaroGirl
01-18-2008, 03:18 AM
What scared the bejeepers out of you when you were a kid?

Last night I was watching Dawn of the Dead on tv (the newer one, with Sarah Polley). It was just coming up to my favourite part. The part with the zombie baby. I LOVE that part. Sarah Polley was just reaching to pull back the blanket... when I heard "Mum," from my 10 yo at the top of the stairs. "NO!" I screamed, and lunged for the remote, thus missing the zombie baby, my most favourite part of the movie. I said to him, while his hands were still firmly over his eyes, "My God, if you saw that, you'd have nightmares for the rest of your life."

My brother got nightmares from Dr. Who. The first thing that scared me was when this same brother made me watch The Andromeda Strain on tv. I didn't sleep for a week.

You?

Devil Ledbetter
01-18-2008, 03:24 AM
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Those little potato-like demons that lived in the chimney made me very nervous. Of course, we lived in a Victorian house with a fireplace in our bedroom.

RLB
01-18-2008, 04:18 AM
Gremlins. Eek.

Kerr
01-18-2008, 04:19 AM
The House On The Haunted Hill. The original is probably the stupidest movie ever created, especially from today's standards. The skeletons rising up out of the acid pit scared the ---- out of me. Or Twilight Zone's The Dummy. I wrote a short story based on a childhood dream from that.

MrWrite
01-18-2008, 04:25 AM
One of the things that scared me most is actually one of the funniest now. It was an episode from Doctor Who that involved a giant rat that sent me hiding behind the sofa! I distinctly remember seeing glowing red eyes sharp fangs and a blood curdling roar.
Years later when I was all grown up the episode became available to buy on video (this was before dvds had even been heard of) so I couldn't resist buying it.
When I got to that scene I had to laugh. It was a giant cuddly toy rat that someone offscreen was obviously thrusting forward (and not too convincing at that!). No glowing red eyes, no sharp fangs and the "roar" was more like a snuffling!
I swear when you're a child your eyes fill in bits that you think should be there! No wonder my parents laughed at me when I ran and hid! LMAO

The_Grand_Duchess
01-18-2008, 04:25 AM
My grandmother's backyard. Not a movie I know but it still scared the hell out of me.

truelyana
01-18-2008, 04:29 AM
That film Werewolf at one point, whilst living in Portugal. Now I'm not quite sure, if I ever did see it, considering we didn't own a television. Well one day after school, I ran home as I thought a Werewolf was chasing me, well it looked like one anyway. A tall man looking very wolfy. After that, it never bothered me again. Got it out of my system after supposedly invisioning one. It might have been my mind playing tricks.

truelyana
01-18-2008, 04:30 AM
When I first saw the remake of Dawn of the Dead I laughed all the way through. It was a very hillarious film.

Unique
01-18-2008, 04:40 AM
Creature from the Black Lagoon.
and one recurring nightmare.

You said as a kid, right? as a slightly older kid - some movie where implants were put in people's heads and they didn't have to use the phone booth any more.

>twitch< too close to real - then. they probably have it now.
No. No ear surgery, thanks. Brain surgery? no. I'll stay stupid. thanks all the same.

Red-Green
01-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Flying monkeys. They still freak me out a little.

Hillary
01-18-2008, 06:11 AM
The Scary Stories books written by Alvin Schwartz and illustrated by Stephen Gammell.

Holy hell, I can still see some of the illustrations in my head... Gah!

Judg
01-18-2008, 06:20 AM
OK, I'm weird. Really weird. Somebody, at some point before I turned 10, asked me (what a question to ask a kid), "How do you know you really exist? Maybe you're just a character in somebody else's story."

I swear I lay awake nights worrying about it.

I finally came to the conclusion that since I was aware I was worrying about it, I must really exist. So when I heard Descartes' famous line "I think, therefore I am" I practically cheered. I had a really cool poster version of it up on my wall when I was a teenager.

Other than that, it was the story of the Blob which came the closest to scaring me. I didn't really scare easily. On the other hand, I am easily horrified, which isn't quite the same thing.

Unique
01-18-2008, 06:24 AM
that's just cruel, Judg. you just gave me a flashback.

>twitch<

Gravity
01-18-2008, 08:09 AM
When I was ten, the original Twilight Zone did a story about a little girl who fell out of bed and was sucked into an invisible hole in her wall (leading to another dimension, natch). Her dad had to go in after her, and all the while the wall was sealing itself. With them still inside.

That one gave me the night sh*ts for about a year. Thanks, Rod.

melaniehoo
01-18-2008, 08:14 AM
I would like to thank both you AND Kevin for making me think about the same movie in the space of five minutes. IT and that stupid clown gave me nightmares forever.

Also:
Nightmare on Elm Street (never saw it, just from the commercials)
Some black & white camp-go-away & everyone dies film
Exorcist (from a peeked over the couch scenario like you described)
Friday the 13th

I think you get the idea. I have a very vivid imagination and therefore many nightmares.

SpookyWriter
01-18-2008, 08:20 AM
What scared the bejeepers out of you when you were a kid?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rogers/phyllis.jpg

ChaosTitan
01-18-2008, 08:23 AM
The Scary Stories books written by Alvin Schwartz and illustrated by Stephen Gammell.

Holy hell, I can still see some of the illustrations in my head... Gah!

Oh, I loved those books. I have the collected edition. :D Great stories, truly creepy drawings.

The only movie that ever gave me nightmares was Superman 3. I was pretty young when it came out. It's the part at the end when the older bad lady gets turned into a computer android thingie. Freaked. Me. Out. I hated her. I ran and hid in the kitchen until she was off-screen. She gave me horrible, scary dreams for months afterward.

I was also truly freaked out by the ending of a very bad, 80's slasher film called Slaughter High. I watched it, alone, when I was eleven or so. The only part that frightened me was at the very end of the film, when the badly burned psycho pulls off his bandages, advances on the camera, and cackles like a freak from hell. That laugh just....yeah, so I went and hid behind a chair until the tape stopped and rewound itself.

kristie911
01-18-2008, 08:29 AM
The movie ET freaked me out...seriously. I still don't really like it.

I won't watch Wizard of Oz either...I hate those monkeys.

Matera the Mad
01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Shmoos in the attic
Lake Michigan
Rats
My mother
Little dogs

melaniehoo
01-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Lake Michigan? Por que? That's the source of all things pure in holy in my world.

Matera the Mad
01-18-2008, 08:41 AM
My mother (source of all my insecurity) dragged me out on a breakwater with waves crashing and thrashing and spouting up through the holes (the holes aren't there any more, but it was a feature of the way it was constructed) on an overcast day. I actually love the lake, but I believe that incident inspired many dreams of an inexorable incoming tide chasing me up a slippery slope.

ZannaPerry
01-18-2008, 09:01 AM
I use to have bad dreams about people being stretched in torture chambers...or getting stuck in a video game. I hated it. Or the most reocurring one where I was paralyzed and zombies were heading towards me and I could do nothing because I was duh...paralyzed!

Zelenka
01-18-2008, 09:04 AM
One of the things that scared me most is actually one of the funniest now. It was an episode from Doctor Who that involved a giant rat that sent me hiding behind the sofa! I distinctly remember seeing glowing red eyes sharp fangs and a blood curdling roar.
Years later when I was all grown up the episode became available to buy on video (this was before dvds had even been heard of) so I couldn't resist buying it.
When I got to that scene I had to laugh. It was a giant cuddly toy rat that someone offscreen was obviously thrusting forward (and not too convincing at that!). No glowing red eyes, no sharp fangs and the "roar" was more like a snuffling!
I swear when you're a child your eyes fill in bits that you think should be there! No wonder my parents laughed at me when I ran and hid! LMAO

The rat in Weng Chiang didn't bother me, but there was a bit in 'Pyramids of Mars' that used to really freak me out as a kid. It's so stupid to watch it now (as a big Dr Who fan, I had the VHS tapes first and am now getting the DVDs), but it was supposed to be the will of the Egyptian god Sutekh invading the TARDIS, and his face floated across the console room with this weird music playing in the background. For some reason that really freaked me out.

The other really stupid thing I watched when I was little was 'Theatre of Blood' with Vincent Price. My mum had taped it by accident and I wasn't supposed to see it, but I had nightmares for days after that. I haven't ever got round to buying it on dvd to reassure myself of its stupidness.

Other than that I had a general fear of bones or skeletons of any kind. I had this thing that there was one under my bed, though I don't know where the hell that came from. I think I was always a strange child.

Gravity
01-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Apropos of nothing, when I was in college I was on the school paper, and got to interview Vincent Price when he came to speak. Theater of Blood had just come out, and he told me it was the most fun to make of all his films. Neat guy, very cultured, funny as all get-out. Plus I remember he was tall, and his hands were the size of Smithfield hams.

Okay, we now return you to your regularly schduled thread, already in progress.

akiwiguy
01-18-2008, 09:45 AM
For some strange reason The Wizard of Oz did. Specifically, The Wicked Witch of the West scared the crap out of me.

P.H.Delarran
01-18-2008, 10:01 AM
You know the purple blob guy on the McDonald's commercials? I used to have nightmares about him. (I was 4-5).
Someone else mentioned flying monkeys. I'm assuming the ones from the Wizard of Oz. Those scared me until I was about 9.
And the devil guy (or whoever he was) in The Storm of the Century, scared me horribly-as an adult.

Joycecwilliams
01-18-2008, 10:26 AM
The Flying Monkeys in the Wizard of Oz.

Patti McCormick in the Bad Seed.

Going to Wakes.

brokenfingers
01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
My youngest memory of being scared was when I was about 4-5. I had watched a Little Red Riding Hood short (non-animated) on PBS and enjoyed it immensely.

That evening, my family and I returned home from somewhere and after the front door was unlocked, I happened to be the first person in. We had a long hall leading into the interior of our apartment and, for some reason, my parents chose not to turn the lights on (my younger brother mightíve been asleep.)

I can still remember the pounding of my heart as I treaded cautiously inside (my parents kept shushing me in as I was in their way and I could tell they were tired and wanted to put us to bed and they were becoming increasingly annoyed by their son who insisted at proceeding at a snailís pace) and seeing the image of the Big Bad Wolf before me, totally convinced he was there in my living room, waiting for me in the darkness.

I still remember that.

And I still laugh and ponder at how something that had so obviously been a mask during the bright light of day, could take on a whole new darker and more sinister aspect at night. Itís funny what a kidís mind can do.

And by extension, what an adultís can do.

clockwork
01-18-2008, 02:27 PM
"The Pier Incident" in Jaws. When the two guys go fishing with the lump of meat, the shark drags one guy and half the dock out to sea and then, when the shark realises the guy has hit the water, the pier stops and turns around and comes back for him. And with that damn music.... S.H.I.T.

Mr Flibble
01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
The Banana Splits when I was about 3. Gods know why, they just scared the crap outta me!

As for Dr Who, that never scared me ( I used to laugh at my older brothers hiding behind cushions) but the recent 'Blink' episode gave my son nightmares for a week.

CaroGirl
01-18-2008, 06:01 PM
One of the first movies I remember being really freaked about was a movie called The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (innocuous title, don't you think?). It starred Jodi Foster and Martin Sheen. Now, I'd grown up watching Jodi's Disney work and, even though there were warnings that the movie had disturbing content, I watched it anyway. How bad could it be if it had Jodi in it? Well, it was a scary piece of work for a nine-year-old (I think I was about that age) to watch in the dark from her little bed. Eek.

dpaterso
01-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, Doctor Who in B/W provided a lot of scary moments... Cybermen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberman)... Ice Warriors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ice_Warriors)... the humanoid creatures rather than Daleks and their ilk, gave me real nightmares. Later, in color, The Pyramids of Mars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramids_of_Mars) mentioned above and The Robots of Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Robots_of_Death) were two of the best-written and scariest DW adventures ever, in any incarnation.

Yeah, those fang-faced Weeping Angels (http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Weeping_Angels) in Blink (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(Doctor_Who)) were designed to terrify kids, no doubt about it. Sally Sparrow... yum... but that's another story.

Drumroll... the film that had me filling my 12-year-old breeches in terror one late dark night when I was Home Alone (more or less) was Howard Hawks' THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_from_Another_World). Remade of course as John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(film)) which had a high scare factor, but not as high as the 1951 original.

-Derek

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Although many horror movies scared the crap out of me as a kid, Night of the Living Dead being an example -- heck, I didn't watch another zombie movie until last year. That's nearly 40 years. Few ever really gave me nightmares.

There was a movie, or a television show, maybe an ep of Outer LImits, however that did give me nightmares. I mentioned this in the Horror forum. I saw it late at night as a kid in the 60s. This guy is driving down this dark dirt road when something dashes out in front of him. He can't stop and hits it. So he gets out to see what he hit, but can't find anything. But we, as the viewers, see this little claw hand come up and puncture his tires. Then he gets back in and drives on to a diner or something.

And I freaked out by the hand went to bed and had nightmares for months afterwards of little claw hands puncturing tires. I never did learn what show that was. But it's left an impression on me that's lasted all these years.

quickWit
01-18-2008, 06:50 PM
I have to go with those before me who've said the flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz. Also, the goblins in March of the Wooden Soldiers. That was some serious shit.

truelyana
01-18-2008, 07:54 PM
The movie ET freaked me out...seriously. I still don't really like it.

I won't watch Wizard of Oz either...I hate those monkeys.

That movie is the saddest movie of all the time. Meaning, it captures the emotions of everyone. That's a definete tear jerker for me, so I try and avoid it if it's on.

RLB
01-18-2008, 08:20 PM
I forgot about The Shining with Jack Nicholson. Those freaky-ass twins. That lady in the bathtub. I was scarred for awhile I think.

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Oh! "The Fall of the House of Usher" with Vincent Price. I've been afraid of being buried alive ever since that one. Had many nightmares inside scratching and scratching and scratching....

Gravity
01-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh! "The Fall of the House of Usher" with Vincent Price. I've been afraid of being buried alive ever since that one. Had many nightmares inside scratching and scratching and scratching....

Some Gold Bond Medicated Powder will fix you right up, Mr. Ferret. :D

zenwriter
01-18-2008, 11:41 PM
The whole Bloody Mary story scared me very badly when I was kid. When I was a really little kid, the Paul Bunyan exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry made me cry in fright.

Unique
01-19-2008, 01:10 AM
One of the first movies I remember being really freaked about was a movie called The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (innocuous title, don't you think?).

Oh, god. I remember that. I read the book. Is that the one with the almonds?

big ew. it is, isn't it. oh. another flashback. cutt thatt outt, folks!

BardSkye
01-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Killdozer. I saw it at a friend's and went a long way to avoid going past a huge construction site afterwards to get home. I still tend to cast wary looks at bulldozers.

I vaguely remember an episode of the Outer Limits with some jelly-like creature that scared me so badly, I never watched the series again.

MrWrite
01-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Oh, god. I remember that. I read the book. Is that the one with the almonds?

big ew. it is, isn't it. oh. another flashback. cutt thatt outt, folks!

Ok I'm curious now. What was it about? besides a little girl who lived down the lane! ;)

Dasence
01-19-2008, 06:28 AM
The scariest thing for me wasn't a movie, but it was on TV. When I was around four or five I watched a sort of televised version of the Weekly World News. There was a story about a little girl who had been strangled by her five foot tall Raggedy Anne doll. I was never able to look at a Raggedy Anne or Andy doll the same and even went so far as to make my mom get rid of an antique pair she said.

I still hate those damn dolls.

Ziljon
01-19-2008, 07:14 AM
The commercials for The exorcist totally freaked me out.

LimeyDawg
01-19-2008, 07:34 AM
That Dr. Who show when they had the huge spiders stuck to their backs, doing the mind control thingy. To this day, I stomp them where I find them.

However, the most scary for me as a kid was the movie Phantasm, when the MC gets pulled through the mirror. I couldn't stand in front of a mirror for years after that.

choppersmom
01-19-2008, 08:02 AM
In my parents' basement, there's a laundry room. In that laundry room, there used to be a wall cabinet. Now, to get out of the basement, you had to turn the light off all the way over by the laundry room, and go to the stairs in the dark, maybe ten feet away. Well, for years I was convinced there was a witch who lived in that cabinet, and when you turned the light off, she would open the door of the cabinet and try to grab you before you could make it up the stairs into the pantry. She wouldn't leave the cabinet, but her arms would stretch really long, as long as the distance from the cabinet to the top of the stairs. So, I would shut the light off, then haul ass for the stairs as fast as my sturdy little legs would carry me, and I never, EVER looked backwards while I did. How ill is that?

choppersmom
01-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Oh, and in the movie "Planet of the Apes," that weird little "OOOOooooo" sound in the background when they're entering the Forbidden Zone. That sound used to freak me right the hell out. I would plug my ears through the entire scene when I knew it was coming, or just leave and come back when they weren't making the sound anymore.

Kerr
01-19-2008, 08:59 AM
OK, I'm weird. Really weird. Somebody, at some point before I turned 10, asked me (what a question to ask a kid), "How do you know you really exist? Maybe you're just a character in somebody else's story."

I swear I lay awake nights worrying about it.

I finally came to the conclusion that since I was aware I was worrying about it, I must really exist. So when I heard Descartes' famous line "I think, therefore I am" I practically cheered. I had a really cool poster version of it up on my wall when I was a teenager.

Other than that, it was the story of the Blob which came the closest to scaring me. I didn't really scare easily. On the other hand, I am easily horrified, which isn't quite the same thing.

Judg, you sound too rational to scare easily. And intelligent. Anyone who could figure that out at ten.

I remember a Little Lulu cartoon where she went to dreamland and picked out her own dream. I decided that was the coolest thing I'd ever heard. No more nightmares. So, I tried every night while falling asleep for three weeks, then Bingo! It was fantastic.

Unique
01-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Ok I'm curious now. What was it about? besides a little girl who lived down the lane! ;)

You know - it was a long, long time ago. I think it was a Reader's Digest Conensed book. IIRC - it was the first child serial killer book that i remember reading.

No. They weren't killing children. The girl was the serial killer. The last scene at the end of the book - someone smelled the scent of almonds over cookies and tea with that "nice little girl"...

almonds. huh. i'd use spaghetti and mushrooms but that's just me. High creep factor in that book for me since i was only ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... I really don't remember.

EW.

The commercials for The exorcist totally freaked me out.

Oh, the RADIO version. In the car. OFF or OUT. One or the other. Shut it off or I'm out the door and I mean stop the car. NOW.

Reagan..... Reaaaa-gaaaannnn....
It did NOT help that Reagan was running for President and I'm a life long Democrat. Even way back then.
::::still shudders in horror remembering those days::::

EW!

choppersmom
01-20-2008, 03:53 AM
The last scene at the end of the book - someone smelled the scent of almonds over cookies and tea with that "nice little girl"...

almonds. huh. i'd use spaghetti and mushrooms but that's just me.

I think this refers to cyanide, which smells like almonds. The tea was probably laced with it.

Soccer Mom
01-20-2008, 05:36 AM
I accidentally saw the old silent movie Nosferatu when I was a tween. (eleven or twelve).

I still sleep with the covers firmly tucked around my neck.

slcboston
01-20-2008, 05:55 AM
Few things ever really got to me... and then stuck with me. (Even to this day... a little.) But one thing that did - the clown under the bed from "Poltergeist." Not the things in the pool, not all the lights and spooky voices, or peeling off the face, none of that. But the clown under the bed...

To this day, I won't buy my little girl any clown toys. :D (Fortunately she hasn't asked for any, either.)

Elincoln
01-20-2008, 06:16 AM
When I was five, my parents were watching Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and I somehow got the pleasure of watching it with them. I know it's a corny movie, but that scene where the guy is being chased by the tire sized tomato down the sidewalk still haunts me. That and the creepy sound they would make as they rolled (wiggle, wiggle, wiggle-- EEK!) Didn't sleep in my bed for a month, and didn't go in my back yard. We had a huge patch of tomatoes growing along our back fence.

Later I would have nightmares about the Blob. Never saw the movie, but I knew the premise. Those were the worst dreams I ever had.

LimeyDawg
01-20-2008, 08:58 AM
The Banana Splits when I was about 3. Gods know why, they just scared the crap outta me!

Yeah, creepy how they all had American accents.