The Nightmare Makers

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
What scared the bejeepers out of you when you were a kid?

Last night I was watching Dawn of the Dead on tv (the newer one, with Sarah Polley). It was just coming up to my favourite part. The part with the zombie baby. I LOVE that part. Sarah Polley was just reaching to pull back the blanket... when I heard "Mum," from my 10 yo at the top of the stairs. "NO!" I screamed, and lunged for the remote, thus missing the zombie baby, my most favourite part of the movie. I said to him, while his hands were still firmly over his eyes, "My God, if you saw that, you'd have nightmares for the rest of your life."

My brother got nightmares from Dr. Who. The first thing that scared me was when this same brother made me watch The Andromeda Strain on tv. I didn't sleep for a week.

You?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Those little potato-like demons that lived in the chimney made me very nervous. Of course, we lived in a Victorian house with a fireplace in our bedroom.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
The House On The Haunted Hill. The original is probably the stupidest movie ever created, especially from today's standards. The skeletons rising up out of the acid pit scared the ---- out of me. Or Twilight Zone's The Dummy. I wrote a short story based on a childhood dream from that.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things that scared me most is actually one of the funniest now. It was an episode from Doctor Who that involved a giant rat that sent me hiding behind the sofa! I distinctly remember seeing glowing red eyes sharp fangs and a blood curdling roar.
Years later when I was all grown up the episode became available to buy on video (this was before dvds had even been heard of) so I couldn't resist buying it.
When I got to that scene I had to laugh. It was a giant cuddly toy rat that someone offscreen was obviously thrusting forward (and not too convincing at that!). No glowing red eyes, no sharp fangs and the "roar" was more like a snuffling!
I swear when you're a child your eyes fill in bits that you think should be there! No wonder my parents laughed at me when I ran and hid! LMAO

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
That film Werewolf at one point, whilst living in Portugal. Now I'm not quite sure, if I ever did see it, considering we didn't own a television. Well one day after school, I ran home as I thought a Werewolf was chasing me, well it looked like one anyway. A tall man looking very wolfy. After that, it never bothered me again. Got it out of my system after supposedly invisioning one. It might have been my mind playing tricks.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Creature from the Black Lagoon.
and one recurring nightmare.

You said as a kid, right? as a slightly older kid - some movie where implants were put in people's heads and they didn't have to use the phone booth any more.

>twitch< too close to real - then. they probably have it now.
No. No ear surgery, thanks. Brain surgery? no. I'll stay stupid. thanks all the same.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
The Scary Stories books written by Alvin Schwartz and illustrated by Stephen Gammell.

Holy hell, I can still see some of the illustrations in my head... Gah!

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
OK, I'm weird. Really weird. Somebody, at some point before I turned 10, asked me (what a question to ask a kid), "How do you know you really exist? Maybe you're just a character in somebody else's story."

I swear I lay awake nights worrying about it.

I finally came to the conclusion that since I was aware I was worrying about it, I must really exist. So when I heard Descartes' famous line "I think, therefore I am" I practically cheered. I had a really cool poster version of it up on my wall when I was a teenager.

Other than that, it was the story of the Blob which came the closest to scaring me. I didn't really scare easily. On the other hand, I am easily horrified, which isn't quite the same thing.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
that's just cruel, Judg. you just gave me a flashback.

>twitch<

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
When I was ten, the original Twilight Zone did a story about a little girl who fell out of bed and was sucked into an invisible hole in her wall (leading to another dimension, natch). Her dad had to go in after her, and all the while the wall was sealing itself. With them still inside.

That one gave me the night sh*ts for about a year. Thanks, Rod.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I would like to thank both you AND Kevin for making me think about the same movie in the space of five minutes. IT and that stupid clown gave me nightmares forever.

Also:
Nightmare on Elm Street (never saw it, just from the commercials)
Some black & white camp-go-away & everyone dies film
Exorcist (from a peeked over the couch scenario like you described)
Friday the 13th

I think you get the idea. I have a very vivid imagination and therefore many nightmares.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
What scared the bejeepers out of you when you were a kid?
phyllis.jpg

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The Scary Stories books written by Alvin Schwartz and illustrated by Stephen Gammell.

Holy hell, I can still see some of the illustrations in my head... Gah!

Oh, I loved those books. I have the collected edition. :D Great stories, truly creepy drawings.

The only movie that ever gave me nightmares was Superman 3. I was pretty young when it came out. It's the part at the end when the older bad lady gets turned into a computer android thingie. Freaked. Me. Out. I hated her. I ran and hid in the kitchen until she was off-screen. She gave me horrible, scary dreams for months afterward.

I was also truly freaked out by the ending of a very bad, 80's slasher film called Slaughter High. I watched it, alone, when I was eleven or so. The only part that frightened me was at the very end of the film, when the badly burned psycho pulls off his bandages, advances on the camera, and cackles like a freak from hell. That laugh just....yeah, so I went and hid behind a chair until the tape stopped and rewound itself.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
The movie ET freaked me out...seriously. I still don't really like it.

I won't watch Wizard of Oz either...I hate those monkeys.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
My mother (source of all my insecurity) dragged me out on a breakwater with waves crashing and thrashing and spouting up through the holes (the holes aren't there any more, but it was a feature of the way it was constructed) on an overcast day. I actually love the lake, but I believe that incident inspired many dreams of an inexorable incoming tide chasing me up a slippery slope.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I use to have bad dreams about people being stretched in torture chambers...or getting stuck in a video game. I hated it. Or the most reocurring one where I was paralyzed and zombies were heading towards me and I could do nothing because I was duh...paralyzed!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things that scared me most is actually one of the funniest now. It was an episode from Doctor Who that involved a giant rat that sent me hiding behind the sofa! I distinctly remember seeing glowing red eyes sharp fangs and a blood curdling roar.
Years later when I was all grown up the episode became available to buy on video (this was before dvds had even been heard of) so I couldn't resist buying it.
When I got to that scene I had to laugh. It was a giant cuddly toy rat that someone offscreen was obviously thrusting forward (and not too convincing at that!). No glowing red eyes, no sharp fangs and the "roar" was more like a snuffling!
I swear when you're a child your eyes fill in bits that you think should be there! No wonder my parents laughed at me when I ran and hid! LMAO

The rat in Weng Chiang didn't bother me, but there was a bit in 'Pyramids of Mars' that used to really freak me out as a kid. It's so stupid to watch it now (as a big Dr Who fan, I had the VHS tapes first and am now getting the DVDs), but it was supposed to be the will of the Egyptian god Sutekh invading the TARDIS, and his face floated across the console room with this weird music playing in the background. For some reason that really freaked me out.

The other really stupid thing I watched when I was little was 'Theatre of Blood' with Vincent Price. My mum had taped it by accident and I wasn't supposed to see it, but I had nightmares for days after that. I haven't ever got round to buying it on dvd to reassure myself of its stupidness.

Other than that I had a general fear of bones or skeletons of any kind. I had this thing that there was one under my bed, though I don't know where the hell that came from. I think I was always a strange child.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Apropos of nothing, when I was in college I was on the school paper, and got to interview Vincent Price when he came to speak. Theater of Blood had just come out, and he told me it was the most fun to make of all his films. Neat guy, very cultured, funny as all get-out. Plus I remember he was tall, and his hands were the size of Smithfield hams.

Okay, we now return you to your regularly schduled thread, already in progress.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
For some strange reason The Wizard of Oz did. Specifically, The Wicked Witch of the West scared the crap out of me.