PDA

View Full Version : A fond farewell

Fingers
01-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Just a short note to all the good folks at AW. I joined the forum at AW because I was a chat room op and I felt it would be a good thing to help connect with the chat room users by being a member. I am no longer a chat room op and have been pretty much told that I wasnt welcome there anymore I guess its time for me to move on.
I have met many wonderful people here on the forum and in the chat room and I will miss you all. But I reckon its time for me to move on voluntarily before I am asked to move on. Ive learned a lot from you folks and I am glad to have met you all. Call it a flounce or whatever you will, I just think its time to go while Im still on good terms.
Thanks Mac for the opportunity to be a forum mod, even though it was only for a short while. Thanks Pthom for giving a non writer your trust to help run the chat room. Good luck to everyone and maybe we will see each other somewhere else on the web. Take care everyone and keep having faith in yourself and your writing. Hope to see you in the bookstores soon.
:Ssh:

yer pal Brian

Shadow_Ferret
01-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Bye.

Didn't know you. Rarely went in the chatroom, except for that time AW was closed.

Are they closing the chatroom? Is that why you're not welcome?

TrainofThought
01-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Take care, Fingers. I'm sorry someone said you weren't welcome in the chat room. The door is always open.

Adam Israel
01-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Take care, Fingers. I'm sorry someone said you weren't welcome in the chat room.

No one told him he wasn't welcome, nor is the chat room closing. There just seems to be a differing of opinions as far as policy goes and this seems to be the result.

Sorry to see you go, Brian. Like TrainofThought said, though, the door is always open.

Susie
01-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Hey, Fingers, Brian. You're always a special friend of mine. Hope you can reconsider and at least stay here at AW.

Shweta
01-18-2008, 12:05 AM
No one told him he wasn't welcome, nor is the chat room closing. There just seems to be a differing of opinions as far as policy goes and this seems to be the result.

As StoneTable says.

AFAIK nobody asked you to step down as a chat room op either, Fingers; am I wrong? My understanding is that you chose to do that because of policy disagreements, and because it was costing you too much time/stress, which is, y'know, entirely reasonable.

Anyway, the door's open.

And just as a point of information, the chat room is open and available for anyone, the only rule being the forum rule - respect your fellow writer :)

Foinah
01-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Sorry to see you go ~ I think a difference of opinion, one that could be worked out, shouldn't make you leave. There's always two sides to an argument (unless it's mine, then I'm right!!!! heh), and you should consider taking a moment to listen and then present your issues.
The door is open should you want to return ;)

Unique
01-18-2008, 01:24 AM
well.

you never pissed me off for all that's worth. :Shrug:

best wishes and thanx for the laffs.

RLB
01-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Not our pal Brian!

I hope you reconsider. It's been great having you around!

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
And just as a point of information, the chat room is open and available for anyone, the only rule being the forum rule - respect your fellow writer :)
That sort of takes all the fun out of it, doesn't it though?

Inky
01-18-2008, 08:58 PM
There's a chat room?

Willowmound
01-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Does this qualify as a flounce?

CaroGirl
01-18-2008, 09:30 PM
There's a chat room?
Ditto. Where does it live? Just cuz I feel like I need to waste more time on here.

Adam Israel
01-19-2008, 12:42 AM
The link is at the top of the page, but you can click here for the javachat (http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=absolutewrite) or if you have an IRC client you can connect to irc.starchat.net and join #AbsoluteWrite.

Inky
01-19-2008, 02:19 AM
The link is at the top of the page, but you can click here for the javachat (http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=absolutewrite) or if you have an IRC client you can connect to irc.starchat.net and join #AbsoluteWrite.
IRC client? Starchats?
Yeah.
Um. I'm blonde. 'Nuff said. I'll stick to the threads where there's pictures and lots & lots of pretty pretty colors.

nerds
01-19-2008, 02:29 AM
I'm not blonde, and I've never been to a chat anywhere on the Net. I don't do AIM nor yahoo nor MySpace, I resent e-mail volume. I don't have a clue what a Starchat is, other than maybe it's what Britney Spears might do at Starbucks. Where is the time? Besides, I'm claustrophobic. Those little teeny chatrooms must be crowded.

Inky
01-19-2008, 02:30 AM
Ooooh, my kindred spirit. I like nice empty email boxes.

Shweta
01-19-2008, 05:02 AM
IRC client? Starchats?
Yeah.
Um. I'm blonde. 'Nuff said. I'll stick to the threads where there's pictures and lots & lots of pretty pretty colors.

Yeah, the chat's not for everyone. But some of us like talking to one another in real-time :)

If the link StoneTable posted works, you don't actually have to understand any of the terminology. You click, a window opens, it asks you what you want to be called, and then poof, people talking to you.

akiwiguy
01-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Chatrooms full of people are in my opinion hopeless. But with broadband, audio and webcams, MSN etc is really cool. It is to me a way of being in touch with people as near to real as virtual can be. It's like any evolving technology. It's becoming more and more just another way to communicate. By the way, audio is really cool. It is much better (not to speak of a hell of a lot cheaper, as in free) than cell-phones, which can have hopeless lags during international calls.

benbradley
01-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Oh, it's the Friday Night Flounces! Fingers, you''ve been a regular at the Sunday Night FF Challenges, I'll miss you. That is, if you really go...

The link is at the top of the page, ...
And the people who don't know that probably don't read food labels either!

"Look! There's, like, words and stuff on this product packaging box thingie!"

"Really??? WTF does it say?"

Bartholomew
01-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Dude, this sucks. Fingers rocks. :-(

Jean Marie
01-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Ooooh, my kindred spirit. I like nice empty email boxes.
According to what's under your avatar, you sound kinda high :)

This is a silly flounce, as flounces go. Sounds as if Brian's got his knickers in a knot for no particular reason. Maybe, he'll reconsider.

Unique
01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Fingers.

Get over yourself. Apologize and come back.

I think I'm missing you.

I'm not real sure cuz I'm not all wrapped right now plus I haz a cowd in mah noz. ah needz mah Nyquil.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Dude, this sucks. Fingers rocks. :-(

What Bart said. :(

I'll miss you, Brian. You're a nice guy, and I think you're cool. It was nice to meet you over at Henry's downtown. :)

--Sean

dpaterso
02-17-2008, 10:34 PM
I clicked on Fingers' username (above "The Fishing God") and selected Find More Posts by Fingers -- he hasn't posted since Jan 17 (in this thread). Has he been browsing the board since then, will he see these messages? I've no idea. But, if you select Fingers' username and then select Send email to Fingers then you can send him a nice email and maybe entice him back, if you like, or maybe just say hello and talk about fishing, which he loves.

-Derek

maestrowork
02-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I clicked on Fingers' username (above "The Fishing God") and selected Find More Posts by Fingers -- he hasn't posted since Jan 17 (in this thread). Has he been browsing the board since then, will he see these messages? I've no idea. But, if you select Fingers' username and then select Send email to Fingers then you can send him a nice email and maybe entice him back, if you like, or maybe just say hello and talk about fishing, which he loves.

-Derek

Click on his profile:

Last Activity: Today 04:02 AM

Soccer Mom
02-18-2008, 05:57 AM
If he is checking in:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY PAL BRIAN!

It was his birthday this weekend ya know.

Susie
02-18-2008, 06:23 AM
Hey, Derek and all. I know I sent him a b-day poem and he thanked me, so that was very nice. Hope he's just taking a breather and he'll be back pronto.

Daehota
02-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Derek. That's probably good advice. Let's all email him and tell him how much he will be missed. Even though he says he's not a writer, he was certainly fun to have around; helpful, too.

Let's just hope he changes his mind.

BTW, for those of you who are a little intimidated by large, noisy and really busy chatrooms, AW's room is not usually so crowded, maybe a dozen at the most unless there's a scheduled thing going on. I urge you to try it. It's nice and you can get immediate feedback from the nice people there.

stormie
02-18-2008, 07:13 PM
<Sigh> I missed something again?!

Seriously, Brian, happy belated birthday, and glad to see you're still here at the AW.