PDA

View Full Version : 2007 one sentence bulwer-lytton fiction winners

Prawn
01-17-2008, 10:28 PM
The rules are one sentence only, as verbose as you can make it in 50 words or less. Here (http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/2007.htm)

Charlie Horse
01-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I can't even sneeze in 50 words or less.

maestrowork
01-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm trying to work on my WIP. What are you trying to do? Screw me up?

DeadlyAccurate
01-17-2008, 11:01 PM
The winner for 2007 is a guy who is a member of another board I've been on for years. He got his title changed to "Best of the Worst" in honor of his win.

Pantsonfire
01-18-2008, 04:57 AM
I found that from a link some where else on the forums. I found it very amusing.

~grace~
01-18-2008, 06:14 AM
I love the Bulwer-Lytton contest. Also, I totally stood on Edward Bulwer-Lytton when I visited Westminster Abbey.

wayndom
01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
I also love the Bulwer-Lytton contest winners, and could read them all day for hours.

BUT, I must take this opportunity to right a wrong! I once read something about the contest, in which the writer claimed that Bulwer-Lytton's famous opening line, "It was a dark and stormy night," was a terrible sentence.

This camp-following suck-up claimed that "dark night" was redundant, because all nights are dark (he obviously has never set foot outside of a big city -- away from electricity, there are bright nights - moonlit - and dark ones, which is why so many love songs from previous eras mentioned the moon).

While I've seen enough of Bulwer-Lytton's writing to agree he was a terrible writer, that doesn't make every word he penned bad.

"It was a dark and stormy night," is a perfectly good sentence!

There! I said it, and I'm glad!