PDA

View Full Version : What is Personal Truth?

Ritergal
01-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Last night I had an intriguing conversation with a couple of memoir-writing friends around the topic What is Personal Truth? We didn't come to any conclusions, any absolute truth, but we did list several possibilities, like "Personal truth is your read on things," and "Personal truth is evolving. There were more, but for now I'm leaving it at that.

I'm intrigued with this topic, and I'd like to have more ideas. What do y'all think Personal Truth is?

aka eraser
01-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Personal truth is looking into your soul's mirror without flinching.

Little Red Barn
01-17-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't think there's a better example out there. Hit the nail right on target, Frank!

KTC
01-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Also...the truth as the teller sees it. Which doesn't always match with others' truths. Well...never, actually. A story told through the eyes of 10 people will be told 10 different ways. You tell it without flinching the way you remember it.

Shadow_Ferret
01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
What exactly am I looking at? Not sure how this is an answer at all.

To me, personal truth is your own life experiences. It's along the lines of subjective truth. It's how you perceive reality.

jerrywaxler
01-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Last night I had an intriguing conversation with a couple of memoir-writing friends around the topic What is Personal Truth? We didn't come to any conclusions, any absolute truth, but we did list several possibilities, like "Personal truth is your read on things," and "Personal truth is evolving. There were more, but for now I'm leaving it at that.

I'm intrigued with this topic, and I'd like to have more ideas. What do y'all think Personal Truth is?

This question is so open, Ritergal. It's like a Rorschach test. I could project almost anything I want on it. How about this. Personal Truth is valuable when it's part of your story. The thing that ties your life together, and makes it meaningful is Truth for you. That's why I love memoirs. If you can find the Story you can find the Truth.

Jerry

Ritergal
01-18-2008, 04:50 PM
A thought from an old movie/song came into my mind as I read previous posts:

Truth means you never need to say you're sorry.
Well, sort of, but some days my Truth is sorrow. Other days it's joy. So, Truth is me.

Leah J. Utas
01-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Personal truth is how your life was for you and you alone. It is the reality of your life as experienced through your own lenses and filters.

Ruv Draba
01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Personal truth is why you have the consequences you don't deserve, and why you don't have the consequence you do.

DWSTXS
01-22-2008, 10:33 PM
I think it's your 'perception' of an event, a feeling, a situation.....therefore....pretty much all of these answers are correct.........in their own way.......we all see the world through the same, yet different eyes.

After all, who was it that decided to call a chair a chair? and why call a cloud a cloud, or a dog a dog? Some of us, typically the creative types, have other names for these objects, or at least we see them in ways others don't. When we write, we're just trying to explain why we might call a chair.....a pfnitlockle..........or somesuch.....

just my 2 cents worth.

Shwebb
01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Sometimes I think it's what's left when everything else has been blown away by the winds of change in our lives. Yeah, including our clothes. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Melisande
01-23-2008, 01:18 AM
I've learned that my personal truths keep changing with new experiences, people I meet, the weather and whatnot. They change but are true non the less at that specific time in life.

Daehota
02-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Wow, Ritergal, pretty philosophical we're getting around here! What is personal truth? I'd say that 1.) it's where your own internal moral compass leads you, and 2.) the things you learn along the way that you apply to your behavior.

That's all for now.

Daehota