Anyone from Montana?

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
I recently realized I need to change quite a bit of my WIP. Basically the MC is running from home(Long Island City, New York) because of something that happened there. I want her to drive west...far west. I need her to go somewhere beautiful, somewhere with mountains and clear water and fresh air.

I've heard Montana is beautiful. I know I can look this up some of this stuff online, but I'd rather ask you guys!

So, if you're from Montana and have the time, please help me out!

Where is a good place to live? (please use this answer to answer the rest of the questions! Thanks!)

What kind of jobs are available there for an 18 year old, female high school grad?

What colleges are within driving distance?

What's the cost of living, i.e. - what's the average cost of a home, or a rental, etc?

What is there to do for fun?

What parks are nearby?

What outdoor, physical activities are available?

If you have pictures and wouldn't mind sharing them, please let me know, and I'll msg you my email.

If there's anything else you think I should know about Montana, feel free to let me know.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

brittanimae

making a fresh start.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I might have a good spot for you. I'm just north of Montana in Canada, and we drove through much of the state during the holidays. There was this one really great town we drove through called Bozeman. It was like this quaint little city/big town with a cool, lit-up-at-Christmas main street with old fashioned shops lining the street. It reminded me of an old New England town or something. There's a University there--the University of Montana-Bozeman I think--and it looked like a very cool place to live. My hubby and I were saying we should check into jobs at the University there. Also, listening to the news recently (since we're only 100 miles north of the border and Canadian TV stations are pretty lackluster, we mostly get northern US stations), the labor market in Montana is great for workers right now. There aren't enough workers, so people can get great wages at jobs that would normally be lower-paying. In Bozeman there are all sorts of little clothing shops and period-type diners and such. I'd look up on realtor.com to find out the price of real estate. And mountain people LOVE everything outdoors. Skiing is huge, snowboarding, horse-back riding, rock-climbing, dirt-biking, kayaking, lots of camping. In my experience, people who live in these regions prefer sports that might kill them. Well, that's all I got--hope it helps! I'm sure there are people out there who can add.

SideKicker

Registered
Reaction score
My aunt has a cabin in Montana, on Flathead Lake. I go there during the summer so I can answer a couple of the questions. Kind of. (I'm having my MC from Montana as well, Polson)

If you live near Flathead Lake, Kalispell would be the nearest semi-big town. They have an airport. And I would say Big Fork does too... *strains to remember*

The lake is a lot of fun. There's rafting on the river into the lake. A lot of the local college age kids work for the raft co. as guides. (Though that's in Polson.) http://www.flatheadraftco.com

Plus there's a resort, there's fun and jobs to be had there.

I can't speak for the winter though.

I have pictures if you like.
Just let me know.
sk