PDA

View Full Version : Submitting additional info to a publisher

DevinPhilips
01-17-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't have an agent and a publisher has requested a proposal and several chapters of a nonfiction that I've been working on.

The thing is I have two additional nonfiction book proposals that I would like them to also consider. To keep it simple, I would really like to send short query letters for the two additional books with their original proposal request, but I don't want to confuse them with too much information.

I may never have this chance again or have their attention.

So, the question is... should I only concentrate on what they requested or send additional query info? Thanks for any insight!! :)

Lauri B
01-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Only send what they have requested for now and see what happens. Dumping a lot of stuff on a publisher when they are trying to figure out whether or not they want the first book can be overwhelming (at least that is the way I felt).

sgunelius
01-17-2008, 06:29 PM
I agree with Nomad. Only send what they requested, but there's no harm in mentioning the other proposals in your cover letter to show you're committed to the long-term success of your writing career.

scope
04-05-2008, 05:12 AM
Don't lose the credibility you built up. Send only what they requested. If all goes well you will have plenty of opportunities to pitch your other ideas.

gettingby
04-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Now is not the time to tell them there are other books you also want to write. You are only going to write one at a time, so best to pitch one at a time. And I don't think it is true that this is your only shot to get their attention. They see something in you. See the first proposal through. If they happen to pass on it, then ask if they would be interested in seeing something else. Pitch your proposals one at a time. Don't rush it. There is time to do them all. Good luck!