PDA

View Full Version : Your Hair?

ZannaPerry
01-17-2008, 12:14 AM
And this may be just a topic for the women, but who knows.

What would you say if I believed cutting your hair can make a huge impact on your life? Because I do believe it. My hair is very long and unforgiving, and has been for the last few weeks. I want a change in my life, especially in my hair, so, I think I'll feel a lot better if I get the weight lifted off my shoulders... and I mean this literally. My hair is a weight, a big one, and it's dead anymore that it's hard to control. I love long hair, always have, but I need a change. And hair can always grow back..........

Do you believe hair can make a big change in your life?

Jaycinth
01-17-2008, 12:42 AM
If you donate it to 'Locks of Love' you will make a huge impact on someone else's life, which in turn will make a huge impact on yours.

However, having once cut off a foot and a half of hair, I didn't like the way I looked or how people responded to me then. My hair became even more unruly and was too short to tie back or put in a bun or even braid. So it is long again and will stay so until George Lucas builds a lifesize replica of Canada in South Africa.

truelyana
01-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Depends how you feel about yourself, and the hair at the time that you cut it.

My last cut, was when I had extremely long locks too. I was feeling extremely low, and I cut my hair myself. At the time I felt, that the hair added to how I was feeling and it was far too heavy. Like you say it was 'weight lifted off the shoulders' and it really was at the time. The hair did make a difference to me at the time, as I really thought that it was culprit for how I was feeling. Now, I don't give attention to it from that perspective. I just cut my hair when I feel like it, not based on my state but, just on the hair itself.

melaniehoo
01-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Definitely. I had long hair my entire life then in my mid-20s chopped it off into a pixie. I loved that I finally had a STYLE and it gave me a lot of confidence. I started growing it out after a couple years and now it's back to college-length. I feel very boring now.

akiwiguy
01-17-2008, 12:54 AM
<--- Do I look as though I care much about hair? Only to the extent that mine grows like a weed and trying to keep it groomed drove me nuts, so it is now #2. But yes, it does affect your life. I keep getting neo-nazi groups phoning me regarding membership.

Gina M
01-17-2008, 01:05 AM
I've been every color and almost every length - won't go too short. Can a haircut change your life? I think what changes is your attitude. If you're the kind of person who needs to hang onto a certain hairstyle, chances are there are other things that are also holding you back.
Throw caution to the wind and try something new - you'll probably notice other areas improving because of the shift in your attitude, not so much your hair.
Excuse me while I go get a buzz cut.

Gina M (so close)

JLCwrites
01-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Locks of Love is great. I donated my hair right after having my second child. I don't think I can go as short as a Pixie cut anymore, but a Bob is fun to have. I do like having a little length to play with.

kristie911
01-17-2008, 01:20 AM
I do agree that what your hair looks like makes a difference in how you feel. I love my hair (yes, that's natural curl) but about every 3 years, I decide I'm tired of it and have it cut off. Short, very short, not a bob or a pixie but shaved-around-the-neck-sticking-up-on-top short. I love it for about a year and then I grow it back out. I'm probably 9 months from cutting it all off again. :D

reigningcatsndogs
01-17-2008, 01:24 AM
<<<---- do I look like I worry about my hair!!!!

Seriously, I like it short, but its a pain the butt to go and get it cut all the time, so I let it grow out. It's well past my shoulders now, is quick to pull back when I have to, I can dress it up, but for the most part, it's easy. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about my hair.

(hmm, after re-reading this and looking at my av, perhaps I should start spending more time on my hair:Wha:)

Mom'sWrite
01-17-2008, 01:29 AM
I heard an interview with Lenny Kravitz once. When he first came on to the rock scene he had the most extraordinary dreads ever seen. About mid-career he was sitting around with his friends lamenting the unpleasant place he felt he was stuck in and one of his friends suggested he lose the dreads. He cut them off immediately and felt his life turn around for the better.

Red-Green
01-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Yes, changing your hair can change your outlook on life. I was once in a relationship spiral that I couldn't get out of. At that time I had scads of strawberry-blond fuck-me hair that the psycho in the relationship loved. I went to a barber shop and got a crew cut. Barber must have been 70 years old and he didn't bat an eye. Just got out the clippers and gave me a nice high and tight in about three minutes. Dusted off my neck, took my five dollars, and I walked out into the street a free woman. I grew my hair back, but I never looked back at that relationship.

JoNightshade
01-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Cutting my hair often signals that I feel like I NEED a change in my life. Not this last time, though... I was just tired of dealing with SHEDDING. EVERYWHERE. Anyway I went from mid-back to super short (maybe 3 inches?) Some of you saw it. :)

I don't feel like anyone treats me differently at all, but I actually feel better about myself for several reasons:

1) I have a style. Even if I don't fix my hair, it still looks good and I don't have to settle for a boring pony-tail when I'm lazy. So I feel attractive all the time.
2) I feel CUTE. This is actually a big thing for me because I've always been taller than everyone else, and I never got to be the "cute little girl." I was always jealous of the small, petite girls in my class because they got to have more fun and got away with more. This haircut has eliminated my feelings of being big and clumsy. Sounds weird, but true.
3) I feel like this hairstyle is more "me." I always thought that what I was on the inside didn't match what I looked like on the outside. Now I feel I'm closer to matching up. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-17-2008, 02:50 AM
If you donate it to 'Locks of Love' you will make a huge impact on someone else's life, which in turn will make a huge impact on yours.

Amen. I've given Locks of Love five or six feet of hair, and I'm about to give 'em another 12". Visit their website (http://www.locksoflove.org/)and read the stories from the kids who have benefitted from this wonderful organization... it'll make you cry.

Gina M
01-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Yes, changing your hair can change your outlook on life. I was once in a relationship spiral that I couldn't get out of. At that time I had scads of strawberry-blond fuck-me hair that the psycho in the relationship loved. I went to a barber shop and got a crew cut. Barber must have been 70 years old and he didn't bat an eye. Just got out the clippers and gave me a nice high and tight in about three minutes. Dusted off my neck, took my five dollars, and I walked out into the street a free woman. I grew my hair back, but I never looked back at that relationship.

And then comes the day when you realize you don't need long hair to say "come f&ck me". That was pivotal in my life!

JoeEkaitis
01-17-2008, 04:04 AM
Samson.

The Beatles.

Need anyone say more?

nerds
01-17-2008, 04:33 AM
lol, Joe.

I used to have really beautiful hair but now I don't, age has taken its toll. It didn't go some nice spiffy streaky ooohcooool streaks o' white, it's been in a slow ratty decline for about ten years. Just ratty 40% grey. Not enough to go legitimately white, not enough to go back. So now I keep it short, cut it myself, and color it with whatever is on sale. Pitiful. I hate the coloring, but the short is working well.

Back when I was divorcing and still had nice hair I went to a barber and had it all chopped off. It was an emotional thing, I was devastated. Now, for me short is good, then it wasn't.

CBeasy
01-17-2008, 04:42 AM
Yeah, I think hair makes a huge deal. I had hair to the middle of my back for around seven or so years, and always thought it was one of my distinguishing features. Not many guys have long hair that's actually in good shape, and I was often complimented on mine. When I was burned, however, my hair was actually melted into a ball and they had to cut it to just about past my ears. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I'm in the process of growing it back out, and it's already almost to my shoulders, but it can't grow out fast enough for me.

Foinah
01-17-2008, 04:44 AM
When I was in my burgeoning rock star phase (which passed after my band got signed, the agent got fired and our project was shelved) I had dread locks inter mixed throughout my long hair -- I originally had hair down to my knees, but a spiral perm gone very wrong altered the length in places.
The shorter strands I braided and let them grow out into the dreads. I wasn't a hippie or a rasta, it was more of a celt thing.
It was pretty cool, actually. By the time I reached 37 I had four, three foot long dreads still mixed in my long hair. They weren't nasty or rumbly, or thick like planks, just two inch diameter ropes adorned with beads and found objects. That's how I was identified, recognized, etc. and after my daughter was born I realized I needed a change. The dreads had been with me for 19 years. Too long. On the summer solstice two years ago I had my husband help me cut them off. It felt amazing!!!!
I wound them up and put them in drawer...I can sew them on a hat if I want to dread again ;)

Follow your heart -- hair grows back.

ErylRavenwell
01-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Jesus, how we, people, all think alike. My hair grows at the speed of light and is long right now. I'm planning to cut it in the next week or so. Cutting my hair symbolizes change with me as well. Gotta get rid of those snakes; I'm Medusa's bro.

nerds
01-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Funny how the "little" things make such a dent. Normally I do cut my own hair but about five years ago I treated myself to a real actual hairdresser visit. And my hair was in decline at that point, age 45. I'd always had beautiful, thick hair but by this time it was going to seed and I'd been coloring it at home.

The hairdresser raked my hair through her hands and said,

"It's a good thing you're coloring it. Adds body. If you weren't, you'd have nothing. But I can tell you had good hair once."

I never forgot that. One of those "little" milestones.

Joycecwilliams
01-17-2008, 06:39 AM
Well I had long hair, and it I go so tired of it.. It would get caught in my arm pit during the night. I would end up pulling my own hair and wake myself up. I know it sounds odd but it's true.

I have had med, short and long hair. All I can say from my opinion is a good haircut, gives me confidence, and does influence my attitude. It also has to do with how people react to you.

This past summer I went for hair cut... my hair was chin length. I wanted it styled different but wanted to keep the length. I don't what the hairdresser did, but it was SHORT!!! I hated it. I cried.

However when I went to the beach the next day, some guy I had been talking with for a couple was there and he told me he loved it. It made me feel better. Then my nephew who is very handsome young man told me he thought it was hot.. So I grew to love the cut. My hair is in a similar cut now, but longer and people are always coming up and telling me they love my hair...

Don Allen
01-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Please understand that this comes from a total male pig POV. But, yes I think a hair cut can change of life, however, I find something incredibly desirable about women who maintain longer hair lengths, and those who curl it, style it, wear pony tails, braids, little bows, clips, or anything that brings out the soft features of the lady. Some short hair looks good on some women, but some women have the "I don't care anymore" short hair and that's exactly what they look like. NOW please read the next sentances with a Antonio Banderas accent, There is nothing more pleasurable or exciting than laying next to a beautiful woman with long flowing hair falling gently accross your shoulders as you make passionate love for hours on end.... Yeah I know bullshit.... (replace hours with minutes or seconds) Suzy, cut that hair damn it.....

althrasher
01-17-2008, 06:50 AM
I used to have hair down to my waist and swore I'd never cut it. Then--CHOP! Up to my shoulders.

And it felt AWESOME.

(Once I stopped shaking...)

Unique
01-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I cut mine last summer, suzy. After having it down to my belt (again) for years. It was cheaper and easier and I didn't give a damn what I looked like anyway. As long as I didn't scare housepets or kids - I was good to go.

Then suddenly (for reasons not to be named) I decided to care again. CHOP.
I miss my braid but it is definitely a visual improvement (sez me, et.al.) I'll get back to that I don't care place again one day. Then it will be long again.

ZannaPerry
01-17-2008, 07:05 AM
I always feel better after I get a haircut, but the last haircut I got was over a year ago, and my hair was beautiful up until a few weeks ago and I have no idea why it started to create a mind of its own. All my life I use to have a pixie haircut, as well, because my mom loved the look on me and frankly, I looked like a boy. I started taking control of my hair and it was all the way down to my butt once, but then I cut it to my shoulders, then it grew out again, and the same scheme went on for years. Now it's long again, and I love the short, severally layered haircuts. Not too short, but not too long either. I don't blow dry my hair, not anymore, and I let the natural wave come to life, but lately it's been screwing me and I'm in need of a haircut. I set up an appointment with a private hairstyliest, and I hope she will help me and work her magic. I was the dramatic bangs!

My hair does need to be long enough though to cover my neck because I plan to get a tattoo on the back of my neck. Not a big one, but I don't want my mom to know about it. I hardly wear my hair up, only when I go to bed, so, it won't be that big of a deal....hopefully!

THANK YOU everyone for your inputs!

Unique
01-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Hair can change as we get older (so the stylists have told me)

Hormones, stress, diet, yada yada yada... the unruliness might work itself out in time. The hair crazies might be gone when you grow it back out.

A cascade of silver flowed over the shoulders of that plastic cape ... the next time she shaved my "werewolves" they were back to brown. I still wonder about that one.

seun
01-18-2008, 05:26 PM
I keep getting neo-nazi groups phoning me regarding membership.

And I thought that was just me. :D

NeuroFizz
01-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I was in a dark mood this last summer, so I decided to do some trimming around the edges, and it really did brighten me up. It's depressing to have that salad struggling for freedom from the edges of a speedo. It changed my life.

HeronW
01-18-2008, 06:09 PM
OH YES!

I went from mid-back lenght to 3" and sent the leftover to Locks of Love --a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 18 suffering from long-term illnesses such as cancer. locksoflove.org

I was moving to a new country, I was starting a new life, and going through the first of many personal power surges (ie hot flashes). Short hair is liberating, cooler, easier to tend and doesn't clog the drains.

I still color too!

johnnysannie
01-18-2008, 06:15 PM

[]

Yes, a few years ago I had my then waist length hair cut and donated. It's a good feeling and a good thing to do.

Cranky
01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
I wish I'd known about Locks of Love back in 2001. I had waist length hair, and I chopped it off into a pixie cut after I had my now seven year old son. I don't know how long it was exactly, but I'm sure they could've used that. :)

Nowadays, I keep my hair just about shoulder length, but it's driving me mad, and I need to cut it again. Probably a cute layered bob, and I color my hair now. I have red hair naturally, but I look very washed out with it, so I dye it a very dark brown. I figure what the hey--if I'm gonna be pale, may as well be dramatic about it. :)

Looks great, imo, and I definitely have a ton more confidence. DH loves it, too, as it makes me a loooooove machine! Bwhahahaha.

Sunkissed27f
01-18-2008, 07:46 PM
I am going to go into this unbiased, so I didn't read any other posts.
Funny to have a "does the hair make the woman or does the woman make the hair" thread.
That's how I feel about it.

I have fluctuated from long hair to short from about the age of 12 until now, 15 years later.

I loved it when it was short and I felt carefree and even wild. Then I grew it out and it grounded me.
Some people think cutting their hair makes them feel better etc. That's all in the person and the hairstyle that was cut isn't it? If you get it cut and it looks like crap...you sure aren't going to feel like a million bucks are you?
My hair was about 28 inches long or so. (4 inches past the bra strap line ladies :D ) In July '07 I cut off 4ins. Eh it felt better, less heavier. And then in October I cut off another 3 inches. Again it felt a little lighter...but that last haircut I hated!
Also, I have long hair now, it's back to being 2 inches above my bra strap. (My hair grows super fast) and though I love it being longer again...I ALWAYS wear it up and never down and I don't like my hair in my face and it's naturally wavy so it waves all whichaway and sometimes frizzes up when it's down and I have a round-ovalish face, so certain hairstyles look awful on me. So what's the point of letting it get me down?
I think if you get a haircut and you like it, then yes it's liberating, makes you feel better about yourself..but if you hate it....it sure isn't going to make you feel better. Hair is just hair. You feel better when you buy an outfit that suits you well, right? I think it's all in your mentality and your self esteem, it's easy to blame your mood on bad hair and a bad choice of outfit. I fret all the time over my hair hating me and I curse it every chance I get when I can't wear it down because it won't behave, but on days when it does what I want...yep feels good. Same with clothes and the SO.... ....wow I am rambling like crazy and not making much sense am I?

Siddow
01-18-2008, 07:57 PM
My hair does need to be long enough though to cover my neck because I plan to get a tattoo on the back of my neck.

DON'T DO IT!

You may think it sounds cute now that you're 21, but do you really want to be a 40-something professional with a tat on your neck? Have you seen old lady necks? Do you think some ink would make that more or less attractive?

Something so...available for viewing...will seriously cut your chances of being taken seriously in the future. Put it on your bum, or your boob, or somewhere that will always be covered in a professional situation. Keeping your hair long won't help. Wind blows hair. There will be no evening gown and upswept hair in your future. Think about it. At least put it off until you're 30, because you'll likely change your mind by then.

nancy sv
01-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Another vote for "depends on your attitude". for me - I don't care. I couldn't care less. But for another person - it's HUGE!! Good luck!

ZannaPerry
01-18-2008, 10:50 PM
My hair appointment had to be pushed back another day. I was telling the stylist over the phone, who also my mom's and she's very private and nice, that I don't know if I can go another day without getting something done to my hair. It's a mess I tell you! Twirling in all different directions. Waving on its own. Back to the hair straightener to tame it. I hate doing that. . .

Unique
01-19-2008, 01:23 AM
DON'T DO IT!
You may think it sounds cute now that you're 21, but do you really want to be a 40-something professional with a tat on your neck?

forty! Try 70! think -

now if I were sure i'd be old and dead by then ... maybe. but so far, it doesn't look that way. (surprise, me!)

Keeping your hair long won't help. Wind blows hair. There will be no evening gown and upswept hair in your future. Think about it. At least put it off until you're 30, because you'll likely change your mind by then.

ouch. do i remember those?

ZannaPerry
01-19-2008, 03:25 AM
I really do want a tat on the back of my neck. It's not going to be a silly butterfly or anything like that. It's going to mean something good and worthwhile. Just don't know WHEN I will get it. I hate needles.

The_Grand_Duchess
01-19-2008, 06:18 AM
My family is big on hair. In fact when your hair ain't right, you ain't right. A new do gives you a new out look. Did you miss my getting my hair did time?? That perked me right the heck up!

Get a new cut, it's only hair, it'll grow back :)

StoryG27
01-19-2008, 06:30 AM
I've had my hair long, really long since middle school. I like it, it's so easy to style and put back in cute hairdos, and my husband loves it. But I'm actually going to get it cut right after he leaves for this next fifteen month deployment in a few months. I'm excited and anxious as I try to pick the perfect "cut" for myself. I plan on donating my hair to Locks of Love once I get it chopped. If you decide to cut it, please, let me know how it goes and what style you chose. I need the input as I journey closer to my chopping time. :D

WerenCole
01-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Where ever you go. . . .there you are.

MMWyrm
01-19-2008, 07:43 AM
I've had my hair long, really long since middle school.

Me too. It's red and down past my butt. And the thought of cutting it scares the poop out of me (always make sure my hair's out of the way first though). That is probably psychological, so maybe cutting it would be good for me. Shrug.

Kerr
01-19-2008, 08:21 AM
I really do want a tat on the back of my neck. It's not going to be a silly butterfly or anything like that. It's going to mean something good and worthwhile. Just don't know WHEN I will get it. I hate needles.

My daughter got her first tattoo during HS on the sneak. It was TAZ, about 2X2 on the back of a shoulder. I think she regretted that one even before getting out of school. She got all dressed for prom, gorgeous with a spaghetti-strapped sequin dress like all her friends, but her tattoo hung out. A business woman now, she swears she will have that one removed if she can ever afford it. I requires extensive laser, without guarantee.

Her second one was her own design. A snake! It winds acoss the top of her foot, was excruciating to get, but looks very cool with between-the-toe sandals. I actually like that one and think she was braver than I could be to get it. It even looks good dressed up.

Think long and hard.

Hair? It grows back. You can never really mess it up. But you can experiment and be daring in changing it. I've gone back and forth between long and sexy, and short and sassy since I was young. It always feels like an adventure.

Matera the Mad
01-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Well...I love long, beautiful hair.

ON SOMEONE ELSE!!!

I shave my head. :D

ZannaPerry
01-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm still going to keep it long, but want to give it a dramatic look like I've had before. I love hair, too, don't get me wrong. I only need a change. Though, maybe tomorrow I will ripe out the blow dryer and see if I can style it that way. I never blow dry my hair so who knows how my hair will take it. . .

maestrowork
01-19-2008, 09:14 PM
To all the women with long, lustrous, flowing hair: Don't. Ever. Cut. It. Off.

johnnysannie
01-20-2008, 01:36 AM

Aw, now that's what my husband says and I'm thinking about having mine (now about shoulder lenegth) cut again. I love it long but I hate the care long hair requires but you're tempting me to wait on a cut....for now!

rhymegirl
01-20-2008, 03:54 AM

Hmmm....

That is interesting.

I've been contemplating cutting my hair. Perhaps I won't now.

DamaNegra
01-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Last time I cut my hair I started crying because the stupid stylist got it too short. I had a mayor crisis, I felt horrible. Cutting hair is a big deal, for some weird reason. Now it's almost back to its original lenght. I've tried getting short hair and it's definitely not for me. Really long curls is what looks best on me :) My attitude has changed, too, and if I ever need a maintenance cut on my hair again, I'm doing it myself. No one's messing with my hair anymore.

StoryG27
01-20-2008, 06:00 AM
I just want mine cut to about shoulder length. It was down to my waist, but a few weeks ago I got it cut to just below mid-back. Now I wan't a style that is just below my shoulders (that's still long by some definitions), but I'll wait until Hubby deploys. He LOVES my hair.