One page writing sample with query?

Eussie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.unendinglove.com
I have read many, many articles on how to write queries. My question is, should I attach the first page to my book as a writing sample when I send the query to agents? Or should I just send the query and hope that it is representative of my writing?

Thanks!
Eussie

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Usually

if an agent is interested in reading your work after the query letter he will request the first 100 pages.
The query should grab him at once to want MORE of you. In short, it's your one page pitch and you must "sell yourself and work" or forever hold your peace!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Eussie said:
I have read many, many articles on how to write queries. My question is, should I attach the first page to my book as a writing sample when I send the query to agents? Or should I just send the query and hope that it is representative of my writing?
Follow the agent's guidelines, if she has them. Many agents only want to see a query letter. Some want to see a query plus synopsis and/or sample chapters. If you send an agent something other than exactly what she asks for, you may be giving her a reason to set your submission aside.

(And if you don't know what the agent's guidelines are, you haven't done enough research.)

If there aren't any specific guidelines, it's OK to do the default thing that many how-to books recommend--send a query, synopsis, and sample chapter.

- Victoria

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Not to mention that if you haven't sold them on the query, you're not going to do it on a couple of hundred words of unsolicited prose.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I agree with Victoria. Usually the guidelines specifically tell you what to send. If the agent asks for query first, then just a query letter. If there's no specifics, it's OK to send q, s, and 3.