Cross-Country Trip: What not to miss?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Looks like my husband may get a job in Baltimore soonishly. If that happens, we'll be driving our car cross-country while a moving company does the rest. I'd like to make it into a cross-country adventure!

So help me out, AWers! What should we see on our way from LA to Baltimore? We don't have to travel in a straight line. :)

Here's what I've got so far:

- Grand Canyon
- Mount Rushmore
- The Alamo
- Chicago
- Possibly Yellowstone

So looking at my little map, I've got a lot of empty space out there in the middle of the country.

We both like national parks and I'm an amateur history buff. I also like great architecture.

Ideas???

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
You could visit the Corn Palace of...(where was that? Iowa?)

I would HIGHLY suggest Yellowstone, but you'd need a week to do it right. That was my favorite vacation of my life. The Grand Tetons are very close--you even get the same NP ticket.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful! I have to get to bed but this might be a fun start. (I can't think of serious destinations right now, too sleepy.)

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made this trip with my family when I was six. We moved from San Jose, CA to Michigan.

Here's what I remember most:

Some mountains. Daddy saying I think I can, I think I can as our '71 Volkwagan bus struggles uphill and everyone passes us, even hitchhikers.

Nowheresville, Utah. Mom waking us up at 5 AM and insisting we appreciate the sun rising over the salt flats in the Utah desert. Girls, it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Much groaning.

Reno, Nevada. Very sparkly. Just passing through.

Abject boredom. And more abject boredom. And after that, even more abject boredom.

Gary, Indiana. How long can you hold your breath? It is impossible to hold your breath long enough. People really live here amid so much ugly? We are sad for them.

Michigan. Snow. At a gas station. The first time I'd ever seen it. Daddy has to show me how to make a snowball.

Have a great trip, Jo. Be glad you're not taking four kids, a drugged tomcat and a Newfoundland dog.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Haha, thanks Devil and nerds! :)

I've added Tombstone and "ghost towns" (more research later) to the list.

Of course I dunno if we will make it to all these places, but I'll narrow it down later.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like my husband may get a job in Baltimore soonishly. If that happens, we'll be driving our car cross-country while a moving company does the rest. I'd like to make it into a cross-country adventure!

So help me out, AWers! What should we see on our way from LA to Baltimore? We don't have to travel in a straight line. :)

Here's what I've got so far:

- Grand Canyon
- Mount Rushmore
- The Alamo
- Chicago
- Possibly Yellowstone

So looking at my little map, I've got a lot of empty space out there in the middle of the country.

We both like national parks and I'm an amateur history buff. I also like great architecture.

Ideas???

It will be great fun for you. I have been across country 4 times.. Here are some of my favorites.

The Great Salt Lake and Salt Flats

Sun Studios in Memphis TN - This was fabulous when we went.. Lots of memoribila of not only Elvis, but early rock and rollers.

Graceland

Roswell NM - They have a museum there and even a UFO research center.

Route 66 ( we have driven all of it except in Missouri) Some parts are slummy but check it out on the web there is a lot of interesting people and sites along the way.

The Alamo (I've never made it there hope too next time)

Seeing the wild mustang run wild on the northern route was one of the most beautiful sights I ever seen.

Carl Sandburg's House in Flat Rock, North Carolina is beautiful!!

Grove Park Inn - Ashville Nc They have 14 foot fireplaces and F.Scott Fitzgerald stayed there. It was built in 1913 It's a great place to visit for lunch or something.

I know there is more but I can't think of them at the moment...

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm better suited to tell you what NOT to see. Like Kansas. Skip Kansas. In fact, it's probably worth the time and energy to create teleportation before you head out, just so you can skip Kansas.

Other than that, I'd say you should see Fenway Park and Gillette Stadium. Those are holy grounds. But you're not coming that far into the Northeast, so you're going to miss out. How very sad...

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If you're a nat'l park buff, I highly recommend anything in Colorado. Rocky Mtn Natl park has some gems, as does Estes Park. There's Pike's Peak as a backdrop and Mt Evans-the world's highest paved road. And Eisenhower Tunnel is a cool experience on a road trip. Of course, this all depends on the season, as I-70 has frequent winter closures. But you will never forget Colorado.
If you do happen to traipse thru' southern Wyoming, do spend some time in Vedauwoo (on my favorite places ever list) and the Wyoming Territorial Prison State Park is an awesome place to spend the day.
Also, look for local festivals, no matter where you go.

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
And, if you're taking a southern route..visit Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. Stunning!

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
..did you know, the freeway speed limit across Wyoming is 80 mph?? :D

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
..did you know, the freeway speed limit across Wyoming is 80 mph?? :D

I think I did that before it was the speed limit...

Shhhhh....

I mean, I did whatever the speed limit was the last time I was out there...in the middle of nowhere....and I'd love to drive out there again.

:)