PDA

View Full Version : My adventures in stickin' it to the siding man from hell!!!!

Foinah
01-16-2008, 02:29 AM
So we've had a few problems with our siding. Basically a substandard cob job. Also we paid for stainless steel nails and the butt heads used galvanized on a 100sf section. Argh!!!!

I started trying to contact the company quite a while ago, and began in earnest the end of August. I got the run around. We have a 10 year warranty in the contract...yeah, right.

The guy won't return my phone calls...he's laying low. He's trying to rip me off. Hmmmm...

That doesn't make for a nice and happy Foinah...oh no, no indeed.

Apparently the owner of United Roofing and Siding had no idea what I was capable of. Heh.

There is now a complaint filed in the state of Oregon, his former bond company has been contacted (the nicest man there gave me soooo much helpful information ), the State of Washington Contractor's board has been contacted -- again I got the nicest woman there. She and I bonded and a few little tidbits of useful info innocently came my way. heh.

I tracked down a fellow who worked for United and had a wee chat....I told this guy that I didn't give the state his last name in the complaint - it was the least I could do because he was just an employee after all, not the owner. Lo and behold a few more useful tidbits came my way.

Ah, the icing on the cake : I tracked down the owner's mobile number and left a message. I think what scared him is how calm I was. heh. I must have put the fear in him because he called me back within ten minutes.

"Ah, Mr. Steinmetz. So good of you to finally get back to me. I've only been trying to contact you for two years...it's good that we get to chat now."
"Um, okay."
"Mr. Steinmetz, do you know who I am?"
"I think so, yeah."
"Have your employees not filled you in on my continued requests to have the substandard job you did on my house fixed? Or the breach of contract in the use of galvanized nails?"
"Oh, I remember now."
"Did you ever plan on fixing my problem, Mr. Steinmetz?"
"Yes, but I shut down my company."
"Well, technically you had your license suspended in the state of Oregon for non-payment of your bond, but that license is good until 2009 if you make the payment. Also you are listed as an active contractor in the state of Washington with a bond of $12,000 and liability insurance of $1,000,000. And, I might add, by having a worker come by in October with a promise to fix the nail problem, a month after your license was suspended, you are in violation of Oregon's contractor law...and yes, a complaint has been filed."
The owner of United Roofing is a bit floored by my direct approach.

"Are you still there, Mr. Steinmetz?"
"Um, yeah..."
"Very good. Now, because you never answered my phone calls and hoped this would all just go away, I've been forced to take matters into my own hands."
"But I've closed my business..."
"Oh really? I was under the impression you were moving to Seattle for a big job there."
(Thanks for that bit of info, former employee ;) )
"Um, uh, um....."
"Mr. Steinmetz?"
"Yeah, I mean no...that fell through."
"My condolences. However, I still need my situation resolved."
"But I can't work in Oregon..."
"One of two things can happen. You can either settle with me personally, cut me a check for the cost of the repairs of your substandard work...or I can initiate legal proceedings that will drag you into court and end up costing you way more than my initial request. The choice is yours."
"How much?"
"I have a bid from a company to repair the cob jobbed siding for $3800 and for replacing the siding on the galvanized side -- $1860."
"But that's more than you paid me to do the job!"
"If you underbid my initial siding job, that's not my problem...is it. I'll give you a day to make your decision. If you feel the need to have your lawyer contact me or my lawyer talk to your lawyer...I am amenable."
"Um, okay."
"I think I'm being more than generous with my offer, Mr. Steinmetz, considering the circumstances. One more thing. I'm a stay at home mom and a writer...I'm very good at what I do so don't make me have to hunt you down again. I will find you."
(Nervous laughter from the butt head)
"Have a good day and I'll await your phone call tomorrow."

Click.

Damn that felt good. I was on fire!

Now we'll see what happens.

JoNightshade
01-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Hahaha, that's AWESOME. :) Go you!

MMWyrm
01-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Damn! That is awesome. You are definitely a force to be reckoned with.

I almost feel sorry for the guy. Almost.

Foinah
01-16-2008, 03:19 AM
Thanks!!! Yeah, I enjoyed myself doing that ;)

We'll see how it pans out.

reigningcatsndogs
01-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Umm, ya wanna come and talk to some roofers for me???? (please!!)

Foinah
01-16-2008, 03:55 AM
Umm, ya wanna come and talk to some roofers for me???? (please!!)

You bet! I've got my fury on ;)

I've had more dealings with contractors from hell, environmental planners in the city who want to raize a wetland behind my house -- I'm fluent in city and state codes -- hospital and palliative care administrators...

I could probably play either a doctor or a lawyer on tv :Soapbox:

I would love the opportunity to make an officious type cry.

Foinah
01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
No call back yet...

Should be an interesting day -- did some more digging and I can't wait to get this guy!!!

Foinah
01-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Well, I'm still doing the self-congratulatory dance even though he has not called me back yet. Oh dear...
Today I did a little more digging, just in case you know, and managed to come up with his FEIN...a very nice little bird let it pass my way.

Anyhoo, armed with that info I tracked down his other businesses, all of his corporate filing numbers, his assets in Washington ( a nice house he paid only $68,000 for) -- I have all of the mortgage info and contact info -- his officers in the corporation and their addresses, the owner's name of United Roofing and Siding and his telephone number, and possible property in Spokane...

There's so much info. Whatever shall I do with it all? Hmmmm?

I think I will file two individual suits tomorrow and name the owner and the corporate contacts/officers as defendants. I'll go for the statutory maximum on one of the suits...breach of warranty as a punitive damages. For the breach of contract for the galvanized nails I'll have to stick with only the repair cost. You can't recover punitive damages for breach of contract -- I think. I'll have to research all of this anyway, but that's my initial thought on what actions I'll take.

reigningcatsndogs
01-17-2008, 03:17 AM
:Hail: I am in awe!!! Go get em!!!

I gotta get me some of the Phentermine stuff!!!

I promise to never step out of line in one of your forums! (cause, you really are a bit scary -- but I mean that in the 'good' way!!!)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Never piss off a writer who buys ink by the 55 gallon drum. :D

Serenity
01-17-2008, 05:57 AM
*note to self: NEVER PISS OFF FOINAH.... EVER

Judg
01-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry impressive! I have friends who could have used you on their side.

Foinah
01-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Why thank you all! I'm actually quite pleasant and patient...no, really!
But if someone is an ultimate ass hat and assumes I will meekly cower and give up a good fight, well, shucks. I must smite them. I am a good Irish girl after all.

There it is then ;)

He didn't call today BTW. I'm working on my filing now -- all the legal speak and what not. I've been researching Washington law all day and I think I may have Mr. United Roofing and Siding by the short and curlies...oh, there will be punitive damages. Oh yes, yes indeed.
Muwahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa.

Susie
01-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Way2go, Foinah! Sure sorry you're havin' that prob. but definitely think er know you will get it solved. I will pm you should I not get back the $50 refund promised me from our telephone company. :)

Old Hack
01-17-2008, 04:57 PM
I am in awe.

I did some work, a while ago, as a freelance consumer journalist, sorting out people's complaints against shoddy work, faulty goods, that sort of thing. It's very lucrative.

Once it's all done write an article about this, Foiny-girl, and good will come your way. Not just that one article, but commissions for many more.

Jaycinth
01-17-2008, 08:44 PM
:Hail:

I thought I was evil, but you have turned it into a science...nay an art.

I worship you...I want to study at your feet....

Foinah
01-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I am in awe.

I did some work, a while ago, as a freelance consumer journalist, sorting out people's complaints against shoddy work, faulty goods, that sort of thing. It's very lucrative.

Once it's all done write an article about this, Foiny-girl, and good will come your way. Not just that one article, but commissions for many more.
Oooh. That would be fun!

:Hail:

I thought I was evil, but you have turned it into a science...nay an art.

I worship you...I want to study at your feet....
I am humbled...maybe we could just open a school together.
"Now remember class, we only use our evil for good. Mostly."