Don't you love/hate it when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
you hear a song and it becomes embedded into your brain. Maybe you love the song, maybe you hate it. Maybe you start out loving or hating it, but after hearing it in your head for a while (or playing it over and over again in an attempt to remove its cancerous growth from your brain), you end up thinking the opposite.

Since hearing it on the radio yesterday, I can't get "Let My Love Open the Door" by Pete Townshend out of my head. I like the song so I listened to it, and sang along, never knowing it would stick. I tried to ignore the overwhelming urge to keep singing it after it went off. I tried to listen to other songs to 'cover it up.' Tonight, I finally gave in and I'm listening to it (for the fourth time) on Windows Media Player. I'm hoping the repetitiveness will purge the poison from my system.

But it's such a cute little song...and it gives me a good excuse to do the Snoopy Dance. :snoopy: Let my love open the door...to your heart.

Help meeeeeee... (Has this happened to anyone else? Surely it has.)

Last edited:

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
I can't count the number of times this has happened to me! And it's always the sing-song super cheesy songs that seem to really stick. It's terrible..lol..

Like that song "Can't Get You Out of My Head," by Kylie Minogue (spelling?). It's not that bad a song but kinda dull and monotinous but it sticks in my mind.

Last edited:

lucyishome

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Renee Bagley said:
I can't count the number of times this has happened to me! And it's always the sing-song super cheesy songs that seem to really stick. It's terrible..lol..

Like that song "Can't Get You Out of My Head," by Kylie Minogue (spelling?). It's not that bad a song but kinda dull and monotinous but it sticks in my mind.

Renee,

That is so funny becuase I heard that song earlier today and its still freaking stuck in my head.. Most of the time the songs stuck in my head are from watching Seasame Street or the Evil Barney. You know I love you. You love me. Were a happy family. My youngest daughter loves those and so we sing them many times throughout the day. Oy the insanity of it all.

Anne

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
All I need say is this....

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl. With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
We represent, the lollipop guild
the lollipop guild
the lollipop guild
we represent, the LOLLIPOP GUIIIIILLLDDDD

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Ugh...I had that stupid, "Rock Your Body" by Justin Timberlake stuck in my head after I saw a rerun of SNL the other night.

It finally left my head after about two days.

Good thing, too. I was just about to pull the trigger.

Poppy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay the "Let My Love Open the Door" disease has been cured.

Now the symptoms of "Witch Doctor" by David Seville syndrome are beginning...

Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang...
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
I've been hooked on songs from the Broadway musical "Wicked" the last few months, and I tend to wake up with virtually any song from the show, playing in my head.

"You're gonna be Pop-U-LER! Lar. La, la, la, la. We're gonna make you popular."

(The "LER" is not a typo. Listen to the song and you'll see what I mean.) ;)

Poppy

Registered
Reaction score
lucyishome said:
Most of the time the songs stuck in my head are from watching Seasame Street or the Evil Barney.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. Sesame Street helped me learn the ABC's.

Aardvark song: "I'm an aardvark and I'm proud."

"B is for bubble and bubblegum
And B is for brother who brought you some
And B is better than any letter for bubblegum"

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."

:thankyou:

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Optimus said:
Great, just posting that got it stuck in my head again.

Arrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee thanks, Optimus, now it's stuck in my head too. I know what you mean that song sticks. LOL..

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
lucyishome said:
Renee,

That is so funny becuase I heard that song earlier today and its still freaking stuck in my head.. Most of the time the songs stuck in my head are from watching Seasame Street or the Evil Barney. You know I love you. You love me. Were a happy family. My youngest daughter loves those and so we sing them many times throughout the day. Oy the insanity of it all.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Oh, please no! Not Evil Barney! My niece sings that song - and has - for years! Lord help me!

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have definitely had this problem before. For like two weeks straight I had "Lucky" by Britney Spears stuck in my head, playing over and over and over. God it was pure torture. I thought I would never get it out of my mind but then I heard "Its my life" by Bon Jovi and it replaced Britney, thank goodness.

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, Renee....

Don't be so quick to walk away
(Dance with me)
I wanna rock your body

Please stay
(come on dance with me)
You don't have to admit you

wanna play
(Dance with me)
Just let me rock you
Till the break of day
(come on and dance with me)

:Guitar:

:Headbang:

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
This happens all the time to my wife. She'll get something terrible in her head like, oh... Up, Up And Away by The 5th Dimension (my beautiful, my beautiful balloon). She'll start humming, then groan and complain to me about it.

I always say, "It could be worse. At least it's not I've Got You, Babe." I think up terrible ones in advance just to torture her; Sweet Georgia Brown, On the Sunny Side Of the Street, The theme from Hawaii-5-0, You're the One that I Love from Grease.
icon12.gif

Judging by how few bruises I have, she's an amazingly patient woman.

rich

I tend to get stuck on passages from "Madame Butterfly," especially when done by Renata Tibaldi. Also, I find myself humming "Ave Maria," but only when I hear Leontine Price do it.

Not really--things like "Louie Louie," yeah, but don't those first two sound more worldly?

Wasn't or isn't there this same topic around someplace?

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
rich said:
I tend to get stuck on passages from "Madame Butterfly," especially when done by Renata Tibaldi. Also, I find myself humming "Ave Maria," but only when I hear Leontine Price do it.

Not really--things like "Louie Louie," yeah, but don't those first two sound more worldly?

Wasn't or isn't there this same topic around someplace?

The problem with songs like 'Louie Louie' is that those are the only two words I know. So round and round they go.
And often I get these things so wrong....
Dancing queen, fear the beat from the tangerine,
Ooohhh yeahhhh,

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This happens to both my younger kid and me constantly, and we've found that the trick is to have one powerful, huge piece of music you reserve solely for the purpose of driving these lesser works and their insidious hooks out of your mind.

You are not allowed to think about your Power Song and should rarely play it. Humming or hearing it only weakens it, and the mental playlist is hard-pressed to find a replacement.

Finding the Power Song that works for you might take some experimentation, but it should have its own hook, be loud, not too slow (other melodies slip in during long notes or pauses!), and be of such high quality that you would be content to use your mind's turntable to play it repeatedly for days, if it comes to that.

Lately, Pink Floyd's "The Wall" seems to be working for me.

Maryn, who don't need no education... (guitar riff) [she] don't need no thought control...

Shiny_Penguin

665:Neighbor of the Beast
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bellaonline.com
I had Bach's Brandeburg Concerto stuck in my head the last few weeks, well that and Green Day's American Idiot. The worst is going to the grocery store because now the muzak is songs I liked in my youth. Nothing worse than getting the muzak version of Erasure stuck in your head!

Oh, and Barney was banned from my house for a very good reason....I hate him.

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
Dawno said:
Anyone ever get conned into opening the link to "BananaPhone"? That song pops into my head at the strangest times.

That one's not as bad as "Badger Badger Badger," which it is related to. At least the "BananaPhone" has that ending, and the cute little "boo bee doo bee doo" going for it. ;)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, as far as getting the lyrics wrong, years ago when Jose Feliciano was singing his Spanish Christmas song, I thought he was singing "Her knees knocky knock" instead of Feliz Navidad.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had Bach's Brandeburg Concerto stuck in my head the last few weeks, well that and Green Day's American Idiot.
Now there's a double-bill you won't see every day.

Well, as far as getting the lyrics wrong, years ago when Jose Feliciano was singing his Spanish Christmas song, I thought he was singing "Her knees knocky knock" instead of Feliz Navidad.
EmoteROFL.gif

There's a song called Black Black Heart by David Usher, where the last line of the chorus is "all your sex and your diamonds", but it always sounds to me like he's singing:

"Having sex with McGyver."

Last edited:

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
ChunkyC said:
There's a song called Black Black Heart by David Usher, where the last line of the chorus is "all your sex and your diamonds", but it always sounds to me like he's singing:

"Having sex with McGyver."

*falls off her chair again, laughing hysterically.*

Make it stop! *giggles*

Status
Not open for further replies.