The Humble Pie Game..

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
If you've ever read Changing Places by Lodges, it's very funny. The main character is introduced to a British game where the individuals admit to what they "HAVEN'T" read, but ought to have, given their level of sophistication....

The main character is up for tenure, and admits at a dinner party that he's never read Hamlet, in an effort to win the game.

He loses tenure.

So I guess I'm first: I've never read "A TALE OF TWO CITIES." I've read plenty of Dickens but never this one. I've tried a few times but I often fall asleep and therefore don't remember where I left off and so, it becomes an exercise in futitlity.

Oh, and the person who confesses the most egregious omission from their literary library Wins.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I managed to about halfway through War and Peace, and by then the 10,000 main characters had done my head in.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the time they announced the murder in Midnight In the Garden of Good And Evil, I didn't care any longer.

I'd like to re-read Crime And Punishment.

And the unread copy of The Brothers Karamazov taunts me.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read anything by Tolkien. (I did buy the books tho' :tongue)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I read The Hobbit when I was about 12, so I know I'm qualified as a fantasy writer.

But I consider myself a libertarian, and even though it was published in the year of my birth, and I have a first printing hardback (bought for a dollar a year ago, worth at least $50 on ebay) and probably even a (really fat) massmarket paperback copy somewhere around here as well, I've never read Atlas Shrugged.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I can honestly say I've never read "Gone With The Wind," though I do love the movie when it's on. :)

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read Paradise Lost. Its keeping my bookshelf nice and warm though.

I really should read it.

and...
I've never read...

Catcher in the Rye...

*hangs head in shame*

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I didn't read Tolkien and I know I'm qualified to be a fantasy writer.

I also haven't read Jane Austin, Tolstoy, Steinbeck, Faulkner, Hemingway, and probably a dozen other classic authors (except for forced reading in high school).

I win!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Once upon a time I decided that I should spend my summer vacation reading all the really great literature my library had to offer. Off I went and selected a stack of books that reached from the floor to the height of my bed. After reading exactly one page of "War and Peace" I put it down and ended up using the stack as a night table - all summer long - accruing many dollars in fines. The summer wasn't entirely wasted since I reread all of Agatha Christie, P.G Wodehouse and Georgette Heyer, and I also came to the realization that I'm just a "lightweight reader" and an emotional coward. I'm getting even more so as I get older and wiser(!) This is not to say that I didn't enjoy the great literature I was "forced" to read for various English courses (and the wonderful discussions after) but reading is entertainment for me. Being made to think about the terrible things people do to each other, or the state of the world is in, pains me and I can't do it.

Give me fluff to read. I want the body in the locked room and the murderer in Alaska when the foul deed was done, or the heroine with the awful dilemma of not knowing where to get her legs waxed. My taste in literature is about as deep as a puddle and I intend to keep it that way.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I've only read one book by Jane Austen (Northanger Abbey)- and I fell asleep every time I opened it. I've gotten a few of her other books, but I can't bring myself to read them just yet.

I tried reading The Sound and the Fury a few times, and end up lost by Chapter Two each time.

I've never read the Bible. I had a children's Bible, but just only ever looked at the illustrations. Some pretty vivid stuff for a little kid - like Cain and Abel...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I also haven't read Jane Austin, Tolstoy, Steinbeck, Faulkner, Hemingway, and probably a dozen other classic authors (except for forced reading in high school).

I win!
I haven't read any of those authors either. Do I win anything?

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
After one unsuccessful attempt at The Mill on the Floss which resulted in a partial brain infarction I resolved never to read anything by George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans) again. I have kept that resolution. :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read The Old Man and the Sea.
That's one of my favorites. I've read it at least a dozen times. It's a great example of a fishing story that appeals to just about anyone, even if you've never seen the ocean up close or held a fishing line.

I've read very little Shakespeare. I know, I suck.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
So I guess I'm first: I've never read "A TALE OF TWO CITIES." I've read plenty of Dickens but never this one. I've tried a few times but I often fall asleep and therefore don't remember where I left off and so, it becomes an exercise in futitlity.

Oh, and the person who confesses the most egregious omission from their literary library Wins.

We had to read 'A Tale of Two Cities' in high school. I read the first paragraph about ten times and then threw the book in the corner. I never read it, never even could get through the Coles (Cliff) Notes, but I still managed to pass the final exam on it. Course, it didn't hurt that I was teacher's pet in that class :D.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
I also bluffed my way through a pop quiz on Tom Jones in Eighteenth Century Literature.

1. Square and Thwakum.
2. He wanted to marry her.
3. He was caught in bed with another woman.
4. It was totally innocent.
5. He Did sleep with Her.
6. She pressured him for sex.
7. He refused.
8. He explained this to his true love.
9. She forgave him.
10. All was right with the world.