PDA

View Full Version : Business Cards?

Live2Write
01-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Hello all,

I've been thinking about drawing up some business cards to go out with my queries and I've been wondering what is the best information to put on them. I was thinking:

Full Name
PO Box
Phone
Email
Web URL

Is this correct? Also, I've been having a bit of a discussion on wether or not I should call myself an "author" and use it as a title. I've had a short story published by a publishing house and was paid a nominal fee so that does mean my work is in print and is not self-published. However, I wrote under a pen-name. Can I call myself an author?

Thank you,

L2W

IceCreamEmpress
01-15-2008, 05:46 AM
I think calling yourself an "author" seems odd, not because you wrote under a pseudonym, but because it's not how working writers usually refer to themselves. I think "writer" makes a lot more sense.

Silver King
01-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Hello all,

I've been thinking about drawing up some business cards to go out with my queries and I've been wondering what is the best information to put on them. I was thinking:

Full Name
PO Box
Phone
Email
Web URL
Shouldn't that info be included in your query? It doesn't seem necessary to include a business card that duplicates what should be in the letter.

nevada
01-15-2008, 07:16 AM
yeah, what silverking said. all that info should be on the query and the pages you may send. Don't send a business card.

IceCreamEmpress
01-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Shouldn't that info be included in your query? It doesn't seem necessary to include a business card that duplicates what should be in the letter.

Yes, this is a good point. Somehow I missed the "to go out with my queries" part.

If you're going to make business cards to hand out at conferences, etc., then I still think "Writer" is a lot better than "Author".

JoNightshade
01-15-2008, 07:28 AM
If there's one thing agents/editors hate, it's queries that don't follow the rules. They always say, no cutesy stuff like colored envelopes or glitter stationery to try to make yourself "stand out." I think business cards probably fall under this heading. Why would an agent/editor who looks through hundreds of letters a day want to hang on to your business card?

Linda Adams
01-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Business cards are primarily used for in-person meetings. They provide all the details of your contact information that the other person can easily stick in a pocket or a briefcase they can be referred to later when needed. In a query, it doesn't serve any of these purposes. Basically, it'll be a piece of paper that falls out when they open the envelope. Save your business cards for writer's conferences, where you might meet agents in person.

Some articles on business card etiquette:

How to Mind Your Business Card Manners for Sweeping Success (http://www.greatfxbusinesscards.com/articles/business-card-manners.htm)

Business Card Etiquette in Different Countries (http://www.sideroad.com/Business_Etiquette/business-card-etiquette.html)

Mystic Blossom
01-15-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't think business cards are really necessary. I met a guy once who had them, for no real reason, and to me, they just made him seem...like a jerk.

Of course, it also could have been the fact that when I told him I want to get published he narrowed his eyes and said, "Oh, that's very difficult. Don't expect to get accepted on the first try, okay?" Um, I know, dude.

Finni
01-15-2008, 07:39 PM
If there's one thing agents/editors hate, it's queries that don't follow the rules. They always say, no cutesy stuff like colored envelopes or glitter stationery to try to make yourself "stand out."

Oh crap :Wha:

Now you tell me...

I've got to cancel those balloons :PartySmil

um...gotta go call them now :gone:

Toothpaste
01-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Ah but business cards are brilliant for conferences. It just makes it so much easier than finding a pen and paper and getting someone's info, or giving someone your info. A quick exchange of cards and you're set. And they are so easy to make yourself.

But I agree with the others, there is no need to put one in a query letter.

Live2Write
01-16-2008, 04:56 AM
I'll just keep them on me and won't bother to send them out with queries. Thanks!

Chumplet
01-16-2008, 05:49 AM
When (not if) you have a book published, a business card can be a good tool to get the word out about your book. I made up a few business cards myself with a copy of my cover, my author name, title of novel, ISBN number and my blog and website. It comes in handy when I meet old friends and they want to know about my book.

SageFury
01-16-2008, 06:47 AM
Hello all,

Full Name
PO Box
Phone
Email
Web URL

Is this correct? Also, I've been having a bit of a discussion on wether or not I should call myself an "author" and use it as a title. I've had a short story published by a publishing house and was paid a nominal fee so that does mean my work is in print and is not self-published. However, I wrote under a pen-name. Can I call myself an author?

Thank you,

L2W

You know its funny i came across this post, The best thing you can do is make business cards, but not to really send in query letters. I've handed so many out and have made an interest out of my book before my book has even come out =)

If your just a writer with no graphic skill then I don't recommend business cards because your showing a representation of you and your creativity.

My card is simple but non personal in a way,

Picture of my books front cover with the title to the left and then I have the following:

Pen Name:
writer/designer

_Space_

Website
URL

Gap to the bottom

Email:
Forum:

On the back of my card is the Prelude of my first book =) with graphic work

www.overnightprints.com Is where i got mine done, they do a great job and have a nice price =)

I don't recommend address or phone numbers, first off both of them can change and now you have to pay for new cards. You never want to put anything on that could ultimately change especially if your card comes out well =)

Mayntz
01-18-2008, 08:28 PM
On my business cards I also include a small tagline at the bottom that lists what I work with "Newspapers - Magazines - Websites - Manuscripts" and I list myself not only as "Freelance Writer" but also as "Proofreader" because I offer inexpensive creative proofreading on the side, and I currently work with two different publishing houses on that. Just putting "Writer" can mean many things -- do you write fiction, nonfiction, articles, columns, novels, short stories, web copy, copywriting? I think a bit of explanation -- tastefully and professionally done -- can be useful.

As for design, my cards are black and white, easy to read, nothing showy. I do occasionally include them with queries and it's never been a problem; I agree that you don't want to get flashy in an attempt to stand out, but including your contact information in an convenient format is more professional, and gives editors the option to hold onto your contact info even if they choose to trash your query. Just my opinion, though!

PattiTheWicked
01-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Here's a question about business cards. I've been thinking about ordering some, but I do a lot of different things. Would it be silly to combine "freelance writer and web designer" with "Tarot readings, Reiki and Pagan clergy"?

Or should I just stick my damn name on there and be done with it?

Nightfall
01-30-2008, 02:21 AM
Patti,
You could try two or more different sets of cards.

Silver King
01-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Here's a question about business cards. I've been thinking about ordering some...
You could buy blank business card stock and print your own for any occasion you'd like. It's easy and cheaper that way, too.

PattiTheWicked
01-30-2008, 04:46 AM
True dat. Might just have to do that instead :)

Toothpaste
01-30-2008, 04:49 AM
It's super easy to make your own cards, and convenient as you can always just print more if you need to. My favourite kind are the ones that are glossy on one side and matt on the other. If you print a picture on the glossy side, looks very professional.

Straka
01-30-2008, 07:55 AM
For cheap business cards check out vistaprint.com $20 for 500 cards I think.

I had to shop around for quotes at my last job and they were at the time the cheapest. I never got anything from them but people recommend them.