When a publisher wants to meet to discuss requested book

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoblanc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I sent my full manuscript about five months ago at the request of a publisher and now they've rang me and they want to meet to discuss my book before talking contract.
However, I 'm nervous as hell and I really feel unprepared. I don't know what to do. I'm very excited about discussing the many elements of my book but I feel so lost. What will that discussion involve? What can I expect to be asked about? What are we going to talk about? Do I need to take a copy of my ms and other potential projects I am working on to the meeting ? Or just go empty handed? How shall I dress??? Casual? Smart? Can I be just me?

Sorry, lol, I feel very lost. Can someone who's been in this situation before give me some advice please? And yes, I don't even have an agent yet...

Thank you all for your help.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I've not been in this situation but I can tell you one bit of advice I heard:

Don't Be A Crazy. Be Professional.

They must already like your book. Isn't that supposed to be the hard part?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Dress in "business casual" attire.

Bring a copy of your manuscript if you like, but I doubt it would be needed.

Don't bring your other work with you, but develop what they call "elevator pitches" for them--two- or three-sentence descriptions of the book ("It's a coffee-table book about dump sites that have been reclaimed as bird sanctuaries. I've got some amazing pictures, and Prince Charles has agreed to write a foreword." or "It's an historical suspense novel about Jack the Ripper. My main character is a journalist who discovers the Ripper's true identity, but who is silenced by a conspiracy among Members of Parliament and other influential plutocrats.")

Don't sign anything at the meeting--take the contract, etc., away to look over it and perhaps review with your attorney.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The one thing I'd take is my agent, if I had one. And if I didn't have one, I'd see what I could do about getting one before the meeting.

And congratulations and good luck!

leoblanc

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help, guys. I really appreciate it :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Did you know that most agents are in awe of really good writers and are (most times) just as nervous prior to a first meeting? Put this in perspective and realize that you're just a human being about to make contact with another human being. Instead of dwelling on how you will impress this person, relax and concentrate on other topics--like what you'd like to have for lunch, or where you're going to meet. Relax and go in there with a non-rehearsed style, and you'll be sure to enjoy yourself way past any negative expectations.

Breathe. Smile. Have fun!!

Tri

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
This may sound dumb... But it happened to me, and as crazy as it sounds,,,, i couldn't explain what my book was about when put on the spot by an agent at a seminar. The reason, I was nervous, I wanted to make a good impression and I never thought in a million years he would ask me the questions he asked. In other words I was not prepared properly, and have since made sure to do all my homework before meeting anyone else in publishing. Take heed, and prepare yourself well for your meeting and you'll do just fine...

leoblanc

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for giving me some advices and congratulating me.
I'm going to meet the publishers tomorrow so hopefully, it'll go well. I'm still nervous though.

SageFury

Overcoming the Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.radicaldreams.com
Hi. I sent my full manuscript about five months ago at the request of a publisher and now they've rang me and they want to meet to discuss my book before talking contract.
However, I 'm nervous as hell and I really feel unprepared. I don't know what to do. I'm very excited about discussing the many elements of my book but I feel so lost. What will that discussion involve? What can I expect to be asked about? What are we going to talk about? Do I need to take a copy of my ms and other potential projects I am working on to the meeting ? Or just go empty handed? How shall I dress??? Casual? Smart? Can I be just me?

Sorry, lol, I feel very lost. Can someone who's been in this situation before give me some advice please? And yes, I don't even have an agent yet...

Thank you all for your help.

Be yourself not anyone your not. They want to meet the writer not an actor.

Dress presentable, and sign nothing until your agent/attorney reads with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.