How do you do a status query?

HeyBooBoo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I got a request for a full in November from an agent who said she would get back to me by the end of December. She didn't ask for an exclusive, but I still haven't heard anything back. Is it too soon for a status query? And if not, how do I write one? What should the subject line be in the email, and how should I ask on the status without seeming like I'm a nag?

Thanks so much!

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
ordinarily not - however- these few weeks in January have been very busy in publishing after the holidays.
First of all are you sure they received it? ie did they acknowledge receipt (snail mail) or email you if it was sent as an attachment.
If not it gives you an opportunity to send an email with the subject line
RE: REQUESTED MATERIAL :TITLE: YOUR LAST NAME
Then a short email ie Dear Agent...I am just verifying that you received my manuscript sent such and such a date via email/fed ex whatever...
Do NOT say other agents have requested said manuscript even if it's true. Only get back to them if another agent offers representation.

If you know they got it then I would wait until the end of the month and then send a short "just inquiring about the status of requested material TITLE /author
FYI I always used the email request for material and just replied to it rather than do a whole new email...
my emails back and forth between my agent and I are long with several replies so its easy to refer to them...hope this helps

HeyBooBoo

Registered
Reaction score
ordinarily not - however- these few weeks in January have been very busy in publishing after the holidays.
First of all are you sure they received it? ie did they acknowledge receipt (snail mail) or email you if it was sent as an attachment.
If not it gives you an opportunity to send an email with the subject line
RE: REQUESTED MATERIAL :TITLE: YOUR LAST NAME
Then a short email ie Dear Agent...I am just verifying that you received my manuscript sent such and such a date via email/fed ex whatever...
Do NOT say other agents have requested said manuscript even if it's true. Only get back to them if another agent offers representation.

If you know they got it then I would wait until the end of the month and then send a short "just inquiring about the status of requested material TITLE /author
FYI I always used the email request for material and just replied to it rather than do a whole new email...
my emails back and forth between my agent and I are long with several replies so its easy to refer to them...hope this helps
Thank you so much! I did send the email with the attachment as a reply from her request, just because I hoped the RE: would catch her eye out of the dozens of emails I'm sure she gets a day.

You've been a huge help to me! :)