Longhand writers: cheap pen recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I love my cheap Paper Mate ballpoint pens, but does anyone have any other recommendations? My requirements:

1. Fast and smooth
2. Medium tip
3. Ink that doesn't run when (not if) I spill coffee on the page

Thanks!

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I use the Papermate Medium "Grip" pens (they look like a typical slender pen, only it has that nice bit of gription to hold on to). When I spill my coffee (and other various and sundry things), it doen't smear or bleed. I buy them in bulk during the back to school sales. I like them because, typically, those pens with the grips at the end have a fat barrel . . . and I don't like that. :)

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I hated my Cross pen -- it kept skipping. My Paper Mates worked much better.

I pay about $1.50 for a 12 pack of my pens, so yeah, I'm cheap too.

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
I have a pilot Dr Grip, blue, med point thats perfect. Not expensive, has lasted me a year so far, has refills, no running or smudging and my fingers don't get sore.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I love my Cross pen, too. Right now, my favorite writing pen reads "Residence Inn Marriot", but it's also a Bic.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I wonder whether I'm holding my pen in a weird way. Cross pens (and I've had several) skip on me. Bics skip. Fine tip pens feel scratchy instead of smooth as they write. I can't get used to the feel of fountain pens. Yeah, I know, I'm picky. ;)

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
Try the Pilot one. Its very smooth. I write very fast and this is the pen that works best for me. I know what you mean by the skipping...its annoying and slows you down.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I wonder whether I'm holding my pen in a weird way. Cross pens (and I've had several) skip on me. Bics skip. Fine tip pens feel scratchy instead of smooth as they write. I can't get used to the feel of fountain pens. Yeah, I know, I'm picky. ;)
Maybe you're holding it at too much of an angle and the ball isn't making proper contact with the paper. You could be dragging the edge of the pen along the paper.

My least favorite pen are the roller balls. They are too responsive for my scrawl. With my technique, the pen always touches the paper, but my pressure on the pen tip determines if it will print or not. So with roller balls I get this horrible smear as I write.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If a ballpoint or rollerball pen is skipping, you can often fix that by running it across a window or mirror a few times. Usually the culprit is something caught in the ball, either a clot of dried ink or a little bit of paper.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If a ballpoint or rollerball pen is skipping, you can often fix that by running it across a window or mirror a few times. Usually the culprit is something caught in the ball, either a clot of dried ink or a little bit of paper.
I just shuddered thinking about the sound metal on glass would make.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
My suggestion? Buy a Lamy Safari fountain pen, EF nib, with convertor, for $25 or so at swisherpens. Get a bottle of Noodler's Black to go with it.

Sure, it's a bit more than a couple of bucks for a throw-away, but it'll change your life...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My suggestion? Buy a Lamy Safari fountain pen, EF nib, with convertor, for $25 or so at swisherpens. Get a bottle of Noodler's Black to go with it.

Sure, it's a bit more than a couple of bucks for a throw-away, but it'll change your life...
I tear the paper with fountain pens. I was so glad when the ballpoint pen was introduced.

nessam

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I have to have my Pilot G-2 gel pens. They are not cheap but oh how I love them. I did recently find some RoseArt x500 gel pens 3 for a $1. Those work almost as well as the Pilots.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in love with Liquid Expresso extra fine tip, black.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's hilarious that you say you want one that doesn't run, yet you love Papermate Ballpoints.....they're all about running. Show me a finger that is not speckled with Papermate ink.

Ok...now on to business...and this is coming from a medium ball point finatic...

I use either the Pentel RSVP in Medium Point when I'm not so serious about getting a lot written...

When I'm on a roll and have a lot to say, I use the Precise V5 Rolling Ball in Extra Fine. It totally rocks. It glides well yet still maintains a relationship with the paper. And no running.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Zebra F-301 pens don't run and feel great in your hand. They have a steel barrel with a finger grip, and the ink doesn't skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.