Comanche Moon, anyone?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Wait, did they make a TV version of Comanche Moon? Is it new?

I didn't love the book as much as I loved Lonesome Dove, but I liked it well enough that I'd watch a miniseries.

(And now I'm going off to look this up...)

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Val Kilmer was fantastic--not at all what I expected.

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
That wife was a total bitch... I'd call that excellent acting too.

valerielynn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.booksie.com
It was okay. I wasn't really into it. My husband and I tried to watch it but we got bored. We only watched the first hour.

AnnaC

Registered
Reaction score
I liked it well enough to want to see the rest of it. I loved Val Kilmer in this!!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I finally got around to watching my DVR'd part 1 of Comanche Moon, and I have to say I was suitably impressed. Val Kilmer was great, and Steve Zahn just NAILED the part of Gus MacRae. I could easily believe he grew up to be Robert Duvall's interpretation of the same character years later. Karl Urban was kind of boring, but then I always thought Woodrow Call was dull anyway.

Looking foward to watching part 2.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I have a bit of different take on this one, I guess, but I also have the advantage of having watched part 2.

I didn't think Val K. did a very good acting job here.

I thought the dialogue was stilted and unnatural. They should have hired Bill Wittliff to script this one, too.

I have never liked the actress who plays the Captain's wife anyway, so I can't credit her acting with me thinking her character getting punched out was the best part of this series so far.

Except for Wes Studi, and most of the Amerind characters. But, hey, I'm a big Studi fan, so I'm biased.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I seldom watch television, but love McMurtry's writing and have enjoyed every movie based on one of his books.

I found it difficult to keep track of the story line because so much was cut from the book, and if you hadn't read the book, you would really be lost.

I think Kilmer over-acted, but the guy who played Gus did a great job.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I don't know, I haven't read the book yet but I still feel like I have a pretty good idea of what's happening, two parts in. I'll watch 3 later today and figure out if I'm clueless or not :)

What's interesting to me is to meet characters that are referenced in Lonesome Dove but never seen, like Long Bill Coleman and Pearl.

The only character I find disappointing in Comanche Moon is Deets. So far all he's done is nod his head and say "Okay, Captains" and then plant some bluebonnets on Clara's parents graves. He's got a lot of depth in LD, and I'm sad that in CM he's pretty much relegated to background.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I think Rlngthunder nailed the problem: Six hours wasn't enough to tell the story. Just about the time Zahn and Urban actually seem comfortable as Gus and Call - it was over! I may be wrong, but I don't think it could stand on its own, either. Without 'Lonesome Dove' as a reference point, I wouldn't have known - or cared - what was going on.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
I think Rlngthunder nailed the problem: Six hours wasn't enough to tell the story. Just about the time Zahn and Urban actually seem comfortable as Gus and Call - it was over! I may be wrong, but I don't think it could stand on its own, either. Without 'Lonesome Dove' as a reference point, I wouldn't have known - or cared - what was going on.
Maybe that's what was wrong for me, because in the last hour it seemed that every storyline was cut off at the knees, that it was so rushed to get to the end, and then there really wasn't an end.

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
I finally got around to watching my DVR'd part 1 of Comanche Moon, and I have to say I was suitably impressed. Val Kilmer was great, and Steve Zahn just NAILED the part of Gus MacRae. I could easily believe he grew up to be Robert Duvall's interpretation of the same character years later. Karl Urban was kind of boring, but then I always thought Woodrow Call was dull anyway.

Looking foward to watching part 2.

Agreement on Steve Zahn... Made a much more convincing MacRae than a Giordino. Reading your comments here, I could really see a future Robert Duvall in certain scenes--like when he went walkabout after Nellie died when he shared his new insights on death.

Durn, he was good.