PDA

View Full Version : Jack, Jackity, Jack, Jack, Jack

Richard
03-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Just as a general warning, the author of the next book I read whose main character is called 'Jack' or 'John' will receive a live skunk through the post. If the surname is a tough sounding word like 'Mason' or 'Carver' or 'Blunderbuss', the skunk will be dosed up on laxatives before the trip.

Grr....

Betty W01
03-11-2005, 01:56 AM
Dear Richard,

Thanks for the warning.

Sincerely,

John Archer

maestrowork
03-11-2005, 02:09 AM
I concur.

Best,
John Jackson Savage

Richard
03-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Ssh. You don't want to know what happened to John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, and his friend of the same name.

rhymegirl
03-11-2005, 04:04 AM
What if it's a female author and her name is Jackie Butcherknife? :roll:

ChunkyC
03-11-2005, 05:35 AM
I'm currently working on "The Adventures of Johnny Jackson and his sidekick, Mason Carver."

Please address all correspondence to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.... :D

aspier
03-11-2005, 12:57 PM
What if it's a female author and her name is Jackie Butcherknife? :roll:

Oh my no! Too sharp!

aspier
Saggitarius

mdin
03-11-2005, 01:16 PM
I like the name Jack.

I'm just sick of all the redheads. In real life, it seems one out of twenty women have red hair. In fantasy worlds, it's more like 60-70%.

Yet they never get skin cancer. Or sunburns, for that matter.

Melina
03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Navigator, I've learned from hanging out here that 60-70% of writers are redheads.

Nivvie
03-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Yes, Jack is being so overdone, which is a shame as when used to name the thing you raise your car up with or when describing and action, 'jack' is a great work.

In my daughter's class at school there are four Jack's, three Chloes, three Bethanys and two Demis.
It's enough to make you want to call your kid Archibald Winterbottom.

Nivvie
03-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Just as a general warning, the author of the next book I read whose main character is called 'Jack' or 'John' will receive a live skunk through the post. If the surname is a tough sounding word like 'Mason' or 'Carver' or 'Blunderbuss', the skunk will be dosed up on laxatives before the trip.

Grr....

Hang on, you're in England, where are you going to get a skunk from?
If you need to pop something in the post that's capable of stinking up the place, I suggest you raid the House of Lords and bag one.

Richard
03-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Maybe in a while. At the moment, they're the main line of defence between the government and an evil plan to lock people up for the rest of their lives without charge, purely on the basis that they may conceivably, possibly be implicated in terrorist activity.

Tony Blair made me vaguely grateful for the existence of the House of Lords, and turned their elderly, anachronisms into a temporary voice of reason. I don't think I'll ever forgive him that.

Nivvie
03-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Jesus, I was gonna say, if a prime minister makes us grateful for the Lords then we might as well be living in some crazy opposite parallel sci-fi nightmare world.

We should all refuse to pay tax. That would be a larf.

aspier
03-11-2005, 03:51 PM
mm a Jack Wacko idea!

Nivvie
03-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Ohh the Boston Irish Mob.

Let me call Jack Marshall-Cleaver, criminal lawyer.

Shiny_Penguin
03-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Yet they never get skin cancer. Or sunburns, for that matter.

I just wrote in a sunburn yesterday. But my character is not a redhead. I figured a fairskinned person in a desert setting is gonna get burned. Heck, I live in Pennsylvania and still get burned even while wearing SPF 30.

Dawno
03-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Navigator, I've learned from hanging out here that 60-70% of writers are redheads.

This might be good news if it's ok to be a redhead from a bottle.

JennaGlatzer
03-12-2005, 02:32 AM
My personal naming pet peeve:

Alex, as a woman's name, for the "sexy tomboy."

Ugh.

Anastacia
03-12-2005, 02:41 AM
As long as your last name isn't O'lantern I have no problem with it.

aspier
03-12-2005, 02:51 AM
Jack O'lantern? Don't know him? Related to Alex?

as

Richard
03-12-2005, 03:54 AM
"Alex, as a woman's name, for the "sexy tomboy.""

I'd also include 'Sam', for the inevitable 'But you're a girl!' scene that makes me want to poke my eyes out with a staple gun.

Riter
10-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Also another common name in detective stories is Dick and i hate that honestly people in school call me that to wind me up (My name is Richard). I can't see why all of these detectives are called Dick, instead of Richard, you know it kind of insults me that they neve use Richard as a character name they have to shorten it. It is honestly stupid to call them that

rtilryarms
10-15-2005, 07:47 PM
no one is ever nemed Jeffrey nothing as as the hero

Carole
10-15-2005, 07:47 PM
It's enough to make you want to call your kid Archibald Winterbottom.
:ROFL:

When I had my younger son, one of the nurses in the hospital loved his name SOOO much, she named HER SON the same thing when he was born a few weeks later. That irritated the life out of me. My son's name, Seth Joel, was chosen because they are both family names. She used my son's name to ease the burden of thinking of an origial one, I guess.

The only names that bug me in novels are the ridiculous sounding soap opera type names that sound like a breeze should be follwoing them everywhere they go so that their hair is always perfectly tousled.

scfirenice
10-15-2005, 09:14 PM
I just changed my MC's name to Jonathon Winter, I was inspired by this thread. My female name is Alexis, she rich and sexy...hahaha

Lantern Jack
10-15-2005, 10:12 PM
My pseudonym is Jack Everhart. Since my next book is a memoir, that's also the name of the main character. Send me that skunk, I'll make him into mince meat, then send him right back.

brokenfingers
10-16-2005, 03:05 AM
Also another common name in detective stories is Dick and i hate that honestly people in school call me that to wind me up (My name is Richard). I can't see why all of these detectives are called Dick, instead of Richard, you know it kind of insults me that they neve use Richard as a character name they have to shorten it. It is honestly stupid to call them thatA Dick was once popular slang for a detective so that may be one reason why it's thrown around so much in detective novels.

Tiaga
10-16-2005, 04:34 AM
Its a strong name and in my opinion you don't know Jack! hehe

ANNIE
10-16-2005, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=XThe NavigatorX]I like the name Jack.

I'm just sick of all the redheads. In real life, it seems one out of twenty women have red hair. In fantasy worlds, it's more like 60-70%.

Hey! I happen to be one of those redheads, and not the bottle varity- tread lightly.

Fractured_Chaos
10-17-2005, 03:46 AM

What?! You mean I'm not Speshul? :(

threedogpeople
10-17-2005, 04:58 AM
I'm a natural redhead, too! Although, I can get sun burned by sitting too close to a halogen light (SPF 50 and hats are my friends).

Jenny
11-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Ok, so Jack's out, but what if you still want a common (apologies) name? http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/index.html Good for historical accuracy, too - if American setting.

AdamH
11-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Alright! I was #36 when I was born! Take that Stephen (#37)!

-Adam