PDA

View Full Version : Pagan Markets: Spilled Candy (small press)

NicoleJLeBoeuf
03-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Kate StAmour mentioned these folks to me after I posted my adventures in Wiccan picture book publishing:

Spilled Candy (http://www.spilledcandy.com/submissions.htm)

I have not yet taken the next step of making sure I can find their books in real bookstores, having only just heard of them this minute, but their web site (however rough and FrontPagey it may be) looks focussed on what a publisher's website ought to be focussed on: selling books to people other than those books' authors. I am certainly impressed with how forthright they are with their details.

The About Us (http://www.spilledcandy.com/about.htm) page states that royalties are usually 10% of retail on trade paperbacks. Does anyone know if retail = cover price? And whether 10% sounds about right from a small press? Also, see the page for Booksellers (http://www.spilledcandy.com/booksellers.htm) that states exactly who distributes them, in what condition returns are accepted, and what discounts they offer based on amount ordered and whether the returnability option is requested.

(Maybe I should cross-ref this post from Bewares & Background Checks in hopes of more feedback?)

veinglory
03-29-2005, 05:19 PM
There are a bunch of other possible publishers to. There are good lists at sites with plenty of pagan authors, like Mystic Wicks.

veinglory
03-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Looks to me like they don't do picture books? Under 'we don't publish': "Manuscripts that are heavy in graphics"

WhisperingBard
03-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Looks to me like they don't do picture books? Under 'we don't publish': "Manuscripts that are heavy in graphics"
That appears to be the case. I think I remember reading they don't do anything under 60 pages.

Llewellyn doesn't do picture books either. If one writes picture books geared towards pagan children, there doesn't seem to be much chance of getting them published. Darn shame, too, because pagan parents are clamoring for them.

PattiTheWicked
04-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Llewellyn doesn't do picture books either. If one writes picture books geared towards pagan children, there doesn't seem to be much chance of getting them published. Darn shame, too, because pagan parents are clamoring for them.

I'm half tempted to self-publish my magick workbook for pagan kids, if I ever get it finished.

Heck, hitting three pagan festivals a year would probably pay for my printing costs.

copperbeech
04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm half tempted to self-publish my magick workbook for pagan kids, if I ever get it finished.

Heck, hitting three pagan festivals a year would probably pay for my printing costs.

it may cover printing costs, but will it cover travel, lodging, etc? sometimes that can be a toss up.

spilled candy is a good press. they have a good heart and did a wonderful job in the production of my book. it pays, though, to investigate all your options and find out who/what will be the best approach for you. i find that self-publishing is a lot more affordable in terms of print run than everyone says it is. but the promotional part that comes after it will bleed you dry if you're not careful. it never stops. you will spend the majority of your time promoting that one thing, and not moving in your writing path.