Status
Not open for further replies.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Back in November I sent out a full manuscript to an agent, and haven't heard anything yet. I didn't have high hopes at all since it is a book about a bike trip through the Indian continent that we took back in 1990-91, but I sent it in on the off chance that someone would be interested.

Anyway, I was just looking through the stats on our website and noticed that someone from her firm spent a fair amount of time browsing around our site!! They checked out the "About Us", "Adventures", and "Press" pages at first. A couple hours later they came back and headed over to my blog and hung out there for a while.

What do you think - just a fluke? Would that show interest on their part? Do agents do that on a regular basis?

edited to add: I recently completed the rough draft of a book about our recent bike trip with our kids - and posted about that. So - the agent now knows that I've written another book too!! And she knows that we are leaving on our big trip in June...

edited again because I realized this didn't make sense... I sent out a query in July and they came back in November and asked for a full. So - there was interest at that point. But now, two months later, they are checking out our website - and I'm hoping that's good news!

Last edited:

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Could be a way for this agent (and any other) to check out your credentials and writing style, before asking to see page, your treatment, a full MS, etc.

Good or bad? Depends on a) how well done your blog is and b) if your writing style/subject matter is of interest to them. You have full control over a. You have NO control over b, so don't worry about it. If they liked what they saw, they may ask for your outline. If they didn't, persevere, someone else will.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Could be a way for this agent (and any other) to check out your credentials and writing style, before asking to see page, your treatment, a full MS, etc.

Good or bad? Depends on a) how well done your blog is and b) if your writing style/subject matter is of interest to them. You have full control over a. You have NO control over b, so don't worry about it. If they liked what they saw, they may ask for your outline. If they didn't, persevere, someone else will.

Even if they didn't have the full, they wouldn't be looking at anyone's website to assess writing ability. Most likely they've read at least part of Nancy's book, and want to learn more about her, to find out if she's psychotic or something. Maybe they followed her here too, to see what she has to say about agents.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Did you include the blog address in the query?

I would bet that agents Google their prospective clients, since most people at least have a blog these days.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Even if they didn't have the full, they wouldn't be looking at anyone's website to assess writing ability. Most likely they've read at least part of Nancy's book, and want to learn more about her, to find out if she's psychotic or something. Maybe they followed her here too, to see what she has to say about agents.
I've been told by agents, in person, that they actually do go to writer's blogs and websites, both to see if said writer is being nasty about agents, editors and publishers, but also to see what they're writing is like in this more informal setting, if they're posting excerpts (some like that, some don't, you know, like everything else ;)), and if they think this person is set up well for marketing.

I think, particularly with non-fiction, they might be interested to make sure that Nancy really is an expert and also is going to be able to carry her book over into these mediums.

And, I could be totally wrong and the person at the agent's is just really into cycling and wanted to check out the blog. :D (But I'm hoping they want Nancy as their newest acquisition.)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly, someone at that agency read your query and was intrigued by it. That's cool!

If it develops into an offer of representation, even cooler. If not, it's another reader, and that's all good.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Thanks guys!! While I will admit my blog isn't the most exciting thing on earth right now, it will be once we get on the road!! (Not that it's bad or anything, I just don't have a very interesting life to write about right now.) I did send them the url for our website - but that was way back in July!! We don't have a very big log on our website, so it is possible they've been there before, but I didn't notice. I'm hoping the fact that they took the time to check out our website means they are interested - at least a little bit!

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
They will visit blogs to do fact-checking and to see if you're a crackpot. I would take it as a very good sign. If they weren't interested, they wouldn't be checking. Congrats!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think it's plausible that if you submit something today you will get googled by the one you submit to. It doesn't always happen, but it does happen.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think it is a good sign, though. If they weren't piqued by your piece, why would they waste their time? Right. I actually take my blog offline when I submit something. It's only for my creative writing, anyway...but I keep in mind that they will google me. Maybe.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I had offers from a few agents and they all commented on my blog/site.

Also, when I signed with my agent, she told me avoid blogging about my editor since she'd had clients who've said less than favorable things in the past and the editor noticed, and wasn't pleased.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I happened to be looking at the return visitors to see who was coming back repeatedly - just in case I could figure out who any of those people were. As I looked through the list, I noticed the address was the name of the literary agency.

Oh yeah - and I don't think I would even think aboutposting anything negative about an editor!! I might rave about how wonderful she's doing, but I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize anything.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Somedays I just feel stupider than others. :(

The IP address is just a bunch of numbers. 3.123.331 or such. How can you learn anything from that?

Nevermind, I don't want to derail this topic with my own ignorance. I'll go look it up. I guess I just didn't realize you could really figure out who was looking at your stuff. Makes me not want to go look at anyone's blog any more.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Really, I can't figure out who anybody is unless they have an internet provider that is specific to the company. For example - my sister works at NOAA, so for her it would show someone in Silver Springs, Maryland for NOAA. And I happen to know who that person would be. For small towns it is pretty easy too - if I know someone in Peek-A-Boo, Idaho, that's the person reading it. But for New York City?? That's tough - unless it says "Inkwellliteraryagency" in NYC. Even for us reading our own blog - the only way I know it's us is because of hte number of entries - it just tells me Qwest in Boise and I'm sure there are other readers from Boise with Qwest!

MMWyrm

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MLoriMotley.com
Could it also be to gauge marketing platform? See if you have a strong internet presence that would help market your book?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Could it also be to gauge marketing platform? See if you have a strong internet presence that would help market your book?
Gah! I hope they don't judge us on how many visitors we get. I mean, most of our visitors are strictly from friends here at AW. Its not like we get thousands of hits each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.