PDA

View Full Version : Checking in with book progress and a question

wordsmith
01-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I haven't posted in the NF forum in a while and wanted to check in.
My book (The Right Words for Everyday Writing) is almost finished. I turned in the final chapter last Monday, and now I just have to finish writing the introduction and front/back matter. Yay. A Snoopy dance is coming.

My question is related to endorsements. If it turns out that one of the people that I'd like to have endorse/review my book and perhaps write one of those nifty little paragraphs on the back cover, is also a client of my agent, is it okay for me to ask my agent to speak on my behalf? (How's that for a long sentence?) What's the protocol in this type of situation?

Thanks. :)

aka eraser
01-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Sure, I'd ask. I don't think it's inappropriate.

flashgordon
01-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Sure, this happens all the time. In fact, there are many publishers that use the same "famous" people over and over on a paid basis to get back cover blurbs for new releases.

Asking never hurt anyone...

sgunelius
01-14-2008, 06:07 PM
I would definitely ask. All he can do is say no.

Lauri B
01-15-2008, 01:57 AM
I think you should approach the author yourself. Is the issue that you don't have the contact information, or you're too shy to ask? Authors get asked to blurb books all the time, so don't be shy about it. You can use the agent connection you have to this author as your "in:" "Dear Author, I love your work and we share the same agent and I wrote this book and I love you and blah blah blah" (but not those words). There's definitely nothing wrong with using your agent, but if you like this author's work, you have things in common, and you want to start a relationship of sorts, why not go for it yourself? I would tell your agent what you're doing and ask for his/ her contact information, and try it on your own--that's what I would do, anyway.

wordsmith
01-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I will touch base with my agent, and see if he can give me the author's contact info!

And....I'm done! Front and back matter, intro and conclusion are now in, along with my bio.
:snoopy:

oh...and I got to see a sample of the cover.

escritora
01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I got to see a sample of the cover.

congrats! i know how exciting that is.

sgunelius
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Congratulations, Erika!

Prevostprincess
02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Just wanted to say congrats, too. Seems we're on the same page. GROAN.

I'm also now done, done DONE! and in the process of getting blurbs. If it helps: there were a couple of people I wanted to have blurb my book who my editor knew. Since it felt funny to have someone else ask something on my behalf, I passed on a letter to each, via her. I'm not sure she'll even use those letters, but it just seemed polite to ask more directly in this way, yet still have her be the go-between, so that I'm sure the request gets to these hard to reach, busy people.

How did it work out for you?