PDA

View Full Version : Guess what we bought yesterday

seun
01-13-2008, 04:20 PM
My girlfriend and I bought something yesterday. Reps to the first one who can guess what.

Clue: It cost a lot.

Bartholomew
01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
A new house.

clockwork
01-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Your way out of a scandal. It is the day of Sunday papers after all.

seun
01-13-2008, 04:31 PM
A new house.

You're half right. We bought an old house (built exactly 100 years ago). We haven't signed all the paperwork but as the owners are moving to a houseboat and agreed instantly to a 5 grand reduction on their asking price, I don't think they'll back out.

clockwork
01-13-2008, 04:39 PM
You're half right. We bought an old house (built exactly 100 years ago). We haven't signed all the paperwork but as the owners are moving to a houseboat and agreed instantly to a 5 grand reduction on their asking price, I don't think they'll back out.

Congratulations, mate! That's something to look forward to.

I hope you asked all the right questions like, "Is it haunted?" and "Exactly what are the house foundations built on." These are the amateur mistakes that lead to all sorts of trouble as shown in documentaries like The Amityville Horror, What Lies Beneath and Poltergeist.

dpaterso
01-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Congrats, I hope it turns out to be a happy home.

-Derek

justme
01-13-2008, 05:24 PM

I'm so jealous! I want an old house. Congrats!

Bartholomew
01-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Wow. 100 years ago? And they're being flexible on the price?

I hope you're up for a home improvement project.

Devil Ledbetter
01-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Congratulations!

I love old houses. Mine was built in 1903.

seun
01-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Wow. 100 years ago? And they're being flexible on the price?

I hope you're up for a home improvement project.

By the looks of it, all it needs is a bit of paint and maybe some new carpets. Of course, we have to wait for the survey...

Thanks for the good wishes, people. We'll be utterly skint between now and the end of eternity but at least the house will be ours.

Maryn
01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Old houses have freakin' character, out the wazoo. Our previous house was old, and while it had its shortcomings (God forbid two people needed the bathroom at the same time, or wanted to plug in a lamp, a computer, and an alarm clock all in one room), it had some style and details you simply can't get now unless you're in the rich-people-houses realm. Wood where there's vinyl or metal now. Solid wood doors throughout, not a single hollow-core. Gumwood trim. Marble threshholds between "water rooms" (kitchen, bath) and others. Bullseye door frames. I still miss that house, even though this one suits our needs better.

Enjoy. Take your time fixing and changing, mindful of the character of the place. If it suits you, do as much of the work yourselves as you can. That makes a place totally yours.

Maryn, who'll bring bread and salt when you move in

eldragon
01-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Our house is 116 years old and while we love it, we're also FREEZING in the winter and SWEATING in the summer.

With 12-foot high ceilings and thin walls and windows, it's impossible to heat and cool.

But we have 3000 square feet and the place feels fabulous. No ghosts here, or if there are ghosts, they are very quiet and loving.

So congratulations on your new (old) home! Pay heed to that inspection, though.
Oh, and we had the place completely re-wired a year after we moved in. $8100, but well worth it.

seun
01-13-2008, 07:40 PM
All the houses on the street are at least 90 years old. One end of the street stops beside a graveyard. I'm looking forward to it. :D

rhymegirl
01-13-2008, 07:42 PM
My house is 80 years old. Does that make it an old house? A senior citizen?

Ziljon
01-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I assume there's a guest house for Scarlet?. ;)

Mystic Blossom
01-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I adore old houses. Congratulations!

Perks
01-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Congratulations! That's wonderful news. I hope it's everything you need it to be and a bunch of cool stuff you haven't thought of yet.

KTC
01-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Congratulations! I love old houses. Mine was built in 1999. I'm gonna have to wait a long time before it's old. Fortunately, the kids are helping to make it look old before its time. You are going to love it, I'm sure. Congrats!

seun
01-13-2008, 08:00 PM
I assume there's a guest house for Scarlet?. ;)

I just thought I'd keep her chained up in the attic. :D

nerds
01-13-2008, 09:14 PM
seun, that's wonderful. Old houses are the best of all. Best wishes for years of happiness there, and some housewarming presents for you -

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/wine/images/champagne.jpg

http://www.mediatinker.com/blog/images/odaijiniFlowers.jpg

http://www.acetoolonline.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/WallOfToolsLarge.jpg

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Ghostbusters-Photograph-C10102485.jpeg

ghostbusters

dolores haze
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
By the looks of it, all it needs is a bit of paint and maybe some new carpets. Of course, we have to wait for the survey...

Oh, good - glad you mentioned the survey. I was going to say to make sure it's structurally sound. My house was built in 1867, and old houses DO require a lot of attention and upkeep. It's worth it, though. Good luck with the house, Seun. I hope you and your gal and your cats will be very happy there. Is there a space for a writing nook or room?

Jersey Chick
01-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Congratulations - I've always wanted an old house (17th or 18th century farmhouse - which you find quite a bit of in these parts). Such character and so unlike the cookie-cutter houses they build nowadays. There's one neighborhood here that's all McMansions and the only thing different about them is the color of the shutters- you can have black or navy blue - just don't ever come home drunk cuz who knows whose house you'll end up in!) But old houses.... ah.... personality all their own and no two are exactly alike - perfect.

Enjoy and make sure you christen every room - just for luck! ;)

Siddow
01-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Congrats, Seun! What wonderful news. We'll expect some photos, you know.

kristie911
01-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Congrats Seun!

My house was built in 2000...a McMansion it's not but it definitely doesn't have the character of an old house. I'm feeling just a bit jealous. ;)

clockwork
01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
I saw an old friend in Cornwall last summer and we visited his mum at her country house which was built in 1648! It was built during the English Civil War and was one of the few parts of the country (like most of Cornwall) to remain Royalist as everybody else went Parliamentarian.

It's now an official listed building, as are all buildings over a certain age. This one had an honest-to-god well underneath the dining room floor and was one of those places you get to by going along the tiniest English country lanes - the kind where, if you meet a car coming the other way, one of you is going to have to reverse at least a quarter of a mile.

The really annoying thing was they had a faster broadband connection than I do.

brokenfingers
01-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Wow, that is so cool. Congrats.

And it's a good thing to know that the evil spirit that lives there has no power over water. You should check with those folks for some more pointers before they escape.

Also, when you move in, make it known from the get-go that you will tolerate no overnights with any friends from the graveyard.

melaniehoo
01-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Congratulations!

SpookyWriter
01-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Congrats Seun. Now go make an honest woman of the girl friend.

seun
01-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Congrats Seun. Now go make an honest woman of the girl friend.

Can't. It would mean I'd stop pissing off her mother.