NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Ported over from the big PA thread...

[momwrites's search for a LDS publisher] reminds me of my search for a likely market for my Wiccan-targetted picture book manuscript.

Of course my first thought was Llewellyn, but they don't do picture books. And I was under the impression that there wasn't much in the way of blatantly Pagan-oriented children's literature out there--I mean, like "Here's Little Annabelle participating in her very first Samhain ritual"--so I wasn't sure what to use for a guide.

I ended up going to New Age bookstores that had children's sections, and taking notes on who published the picture books I saw stocked there. Based on this, I turned up some names like Horned Owl Press (actual Pagan publishing; sadly, not accepting new manuscripts at the time), Illumination Arts (they published All I See Is Part of Me), and a few others.

I also did some internet searches on likely keywords, and vetted what publishers I found by looking through their catalogues for books I'd actually heard of or, if not, could find at a local bookstore. And of course double-checking that their catalogue indicated a certain level of tolerance towards minority religions and alternative lifestyles. ;)

After saying all that, I'll be very chagrined if the publisher in whose slush pile my manuscript is currently residing turns out not to in fact be good news, but I did what due diligence I could, and I think I picked a legit publisher who's a good fit. *crosses fingers*

Hope that helped someone--if only to see where I went wrong, if I have in fact done so. And if anyone has any publishers to recommend, I'm all ears!

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
There's Element, which is a trademark of Harper Collins. You might want to browse the site and take a look at some of their books to get an idea of what they publish.

Here's the link:
http://www.thorsonselement.com/

celeste

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Nicole, you might check with a company called Ten-Speed Press that has an imprint called Tricycle Books -- while not specifically pagan, they definitely struck me as pagan-friendly.

A lot of the "publishers" on Witchvox are e-book publishers only, or they're authors that have one book out and are willing to publish other authors. I've been fiddling about with writing a book on basic magick for children, sort a pagan kids' workbook, but it's a niche that's pretty limited within the publishing world -- at least at this point.