First Request for a Partial! + 2 questions

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Wooooo! I'm so excited! I've been tentatively sending out a few query letters, and today I got my first request for a partial. Since I've come to realize my query letter is the weakest link in this whole shebang (THANK YOU so much to those of you who commented on it in SYW - I am still working on fixing it up according to the crits), I'm stoked.

Couple questions - he doesn't accept simultaneous submissions. I have also submitted to another agency that only accepts the full manuscript + synopsis straight off. Is this considered a simultaneous submission? I'm not sure how to address this.

Another thing that's asked for is author's writing credits. I have zilch. I'm not much of a short story writer and I never bothered trying to publish earlier efforts (thank goodness!). Should I just leave those off altogether, or put N/A or something?

Thank you in advance!

**EDIT**
Oh, and he wants a hard copy. Should I put anything on the envelope so they know what it is?

Last edited:

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
On the simultaneous submission question, tell him you're happy to honor that request except of course for agents that have it already--and don't wait too long to send out more queries. If I had fully honored all the requests for exclusives, I'd never have landed my agent--she would have been old and retired by then, not to say where I'd be.
On the prior writing credits, tell it as it is. If your stuff is great, any agent will be happy to have dicovered--YOU. g.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Congratulations!

Yes, what you've done is considered a simultaneous submission.
Two ways you could handle it: Either tell them up front that another agent is currently looking at the full manuscript (and risk them rejecting you for not adhering to their absurd requirements), or don't tell them (and risk both agents requesting representation, thus getting yourself in a deeper mess).

If you have no writer's credits, I'd leave it off. They'll get the idea.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
...he doesn't accept simultaneous submissions. I have also submitted to another agency that only accepts the full manuscript + synopsis straight off.

An agent who wants an exclusive on a partial, and an agency that wants the full in the first instance, both of these are extremely rare.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
As for what to put in the envelope -- a short cover letter with your contact information and telling them that per their request on such and such a date, you're enclosing the full of TITLE and a copy of the query and correspondence for their reference, etc etc. You could also put in this letter that at this time you have no writing credentials -- short and sweet (do you belong to any writing organizations? You could put that in there.)

I always included a copy of the query and a copy of their email requesting the full, just so that the agent didn't have to work hard to remember which manuscript it was. My motto was to make life as easy as possible for the agent, having all the info right at their fingertips at all times.

Don't worry too much about writing credits -- I had zero as well and ended up with multiple offers of representation. In the end, what matters is the story. Congrats on the request and best of luck!

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard you should put 'Request material' on the envelope so you flag them that they requested it. :) Congrats and good luck!

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
An agent who wants an exclusive on a partial, and an agency that wants the full in the first instance, both of these are extremely rare.

I know - weird, huh? But I checked them out, and they're both legitimate agencies. Both have recent sales to publishers that I'm interested in.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice! I emailed him to let him know that another agent had the full manuscript, and would he still like to read my partial. I don't know what I'd do without this place!

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Drats! He said to send the partial along if the other agent isn't interested. No idea how long the other agent takes to review work (his website says "less than a year and more than a day"). And I'd rather have the agent who requested the partial - he has more experience.

*sigh*

This business is confusing.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
I've been in this situation before. I'd say wait about 6-8 weeks, and if you haven't heard back from the first agent, send a polite e-mail explaining your situation. Don't demand a yes or no answer, but if you inform them that other people are interested, it might prompt them to make a decision faster. Even if that decision is no, you can still get on with your life.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congrats on both counts. It's great that a second agent is in the wings waiting for the partial, should the first pass. That's great news. Good luck with the first...hope you won't need the second.