Yipee....I Got The Job!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I got the job! Now I'll be in training class for three days and then I get to start working at the grocery store. I'm going to be working in the bakery and a cashier. I can't believe that they actually make you go to class to do these things. I had to take a test in class last night and I scored a 100. I was not only the oldest person there but had the highest scores. There's something to be said for older women....yes there is. Since I was an office manager for years and years, some of my friends can't understand why I'd want to work in a grocery store. I don't ever want to work in an office again unless it's my home office. Personally, I think I'm going to have a blast. At least if my husband gets laid off someone in the house will have a job. Now if I could only sell some of my writing. :D

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks guys. I never really left the working world as I had my own landscaping company for almost 15 years. The economy and age has slowed me down in that arena. I'll be 50 this May so dragging trees around and pulling weeds is no longer in the cards of desire. My husband works in the construction industry which presently sucks, at least here. I'm afraid he'll lose his job so I wanted to make sure there was other money coming in just in case. I'll still keep a couple of my long time clients, but for now I'm a Winn Dixie girl.:)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
That's great news, Joyce. :)

Who knows? I might bump into you at the local Winn Dixie, where I buy most of my groceries. I'm going to start paying closer attention to name tags, just in case.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I can't believe that they actually make you go to class to do these things.

first off, congrats.

secondly, the test was a good thing as it demonstrates a certain amount of investment in their employees, which means they take you more seriously than would a company who's just looking for a warm body, an all-too-often occurrence in retail these days.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't ever want to work in an office again unless it's my home office. Personally, I think I'm going to have a blast. :D

I hate office work myself- bores me silly. I've always said that I could be a great waitress - lots of busy work, nice people (for the most part) and no boredom. I think that you will really enjoy your job and if it's in the bakery you may also be able to exercise your artistic side with cake and cookie decorating.

Congrats!:)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats Joyce. I know you will be happy and this job will be good for your family. Send us some cookies.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking...all the biscuits and cakes you can eat! Congrats!

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats. This is great news and I am happy for you.

See if you can make some of those Brownies, you know, the herbal ones everybody loves so much.:D And maybe do some Mail Order???

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good for You Joyce! Did you have to pee in a cup?

Yep....my first pee in a cup. I must admit I don't think I'm for this peeing in the cup crap. From everything I've heard if you're a coke or meth addict the crap is out of your blood in a day or two. If you smoke a joint you're tainted for over a month. The people I've known in my life that were hooked on coke, meth, or the other hard crap were loosers. Just my opinion.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Yep....my first pee in a cup. I must admit I don't think I'm for this peeing in the cup crap. From everything I've heard if you're a coke or meth addict the crap is out of your blood in a day or two. If you smoke a joint you're tainted for over a month. The people I've known in my life that were hooked on coke, meth, or the other hard crap were loosers. Just my opinion.

Forget the coke/meth heads. They don't screen for alcohol so you can have a serious drinking problem that will undoubtedly interfere with job performance but that is ok just as long as there's no THC in your system!

But the best part about working in a grocery store is you'll always be able to Bring Home The Bacon!!!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Forget the coke/meth heads. They don't screen for alcohol so you can have a serious drinking problem that will undoubtedly interfere with job performance but that is ok just as long as there's no THC in your system!

But the best part about working in a grocery store is you'll always be able to Bring Home The Bacon!!!

Never thought about that point. I love bacon!:D

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
If it's anything like my grocery store, you'll also have first dibs on the meat case if you're the AM shift. My local shop marks down the stuff that has to go that day...perfectly good meat, a quarter of the price...I have to get there before 8am or all the $3 baby backs are gone. :(