PDA

View Full Version : Yipee....I Got The Job!

joyce
01-13-2008, 01:01 AM
I got the job! Now I'll be in training class for three days and then I get to start working at the grocery store. I'm going to be working in the bakery and a cashier. I can't believe that they actually make you go to class to do these things. I had to take a test in class last night and I scored a 100. I was not only the oldest person there but had the highest scores. There's something to be said for older women....yes there is. Since I was an office manager for years and years, some of my friends can't understand why I'd want to work in a grocery store. I don't ever want to work in an office again unless it's my home office. Personally, I think I'm going to have a blast. At least if my husband gets laid off someone in the house will have a job. Now if I could only sell some of my writing. :D

Devil Ledbetter
01-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Congrats, Joyce. I hope you enjoy your new job.

quickWit
01-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Congratulations Joyce! Welcome back to the working world!

melaniehoo
01-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Congrats! That certainly sounds more interesting than a boring office. :D

joyce
01-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys. I never really left the working world as I had my own landscaping company for almost 15 years. The economy and age has slowed me down in that arena. I'll be 50 this May so dragging trees around and pulling weeds is no longer in the cards of desire. My husband works in the construction industry which presently sucks, at least here. I'm afraid he'll lose his job so I wanted to make sure there was other money coming in just in case. I'll still keep a couple of my long time clients, but for now I'm a Winn Dixie girl.:)

melaniehoo
01-13-2008, 01:23 AM
50? Is that in dog years?

Silver King
01-13-2008, 01:26 AM
That's great news, Joyce. :)

Who knows? I might bump into you at the local Winn Dixie, where I buy most of my groceries. I'm going to start paying closer attention to name tags, just in case.

joyce
01-13-2008, 01:35 AM
50? Is that in dog years?

In dog years I'd be dead!

William Haskins
01-13-2008, 01:41 AM
I can't believe that they actually make you go to class to do these things.

first off, congrats.

secondly, the test was a good thing as it demonstrates a certain amount of investment in their employees, which means they take you more seriously than would a company who's just looking for a warm body, an all-too-often occurrence in retail these days.

kikazaru
01-13-2008, 01:47 AM
I don't ever want to work in an office again unless it's my home office. Personally, I think I'm going to have a blast. :D

I hate office work myself- bores me silly. I've always said that I could be a great waitress - lots of busy work, nice people (for the most part) and no boredom. I think that you will really enjoy your job and if it's in the bakery you may also be able to exercise your artistic side with cake and cookie decorating.

Congrats!:)

kristie911
01-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Congrats Joyce! I knew you'd get it! :D

SpookyWriter
01-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Congrats Joyce. I know you will be happy and this job will be good for your family. Send us some cookies.

Siddow
01-13-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm thinking...all the biscuits and cakes you can eat! Congrats!

joyce
01-13-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm thinking...all the biscuits and cakes you can eat! Congrats!

My butt is already smiling!:D

reigningcatsndogs
01-13-2008, 02:30 AM
:hooray: Way to go, Joyce!!!! Congrats!

Magdalen
01-13-2008, 02:37 AM
Good for You Joyce! Did you have to pee in a cup?

melaniehoo
01-13-2008, 03:13 AM
In dog years I'd be dead!

I meant the other way around - that you're just barely seven. :D

Writer???
01-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Congrats. This is great news and I am happy for you.

See if you can make some of those Brownies, you know, the herbal ones everybody loves so much.:D And maybe do some Mail Order???

Susie
01-13-2008, 03:20 AM
That's super wonderful, Joyce. Know you'll do g-r-e-a-t! :hooray:

joyce
01-13-2008, 03:38 AM
Good for You Joyce! Did you have to pee in a cup?

Yep....my first pee in a cup. I must admit I don't think I'm for this peeing in the cup crap. From everything I've heard if you're a coke or meth addict the crap is out of your blood in a day or two. If you smoke a joint you're tainted for over a month. The people I've known in my life that were hooked on coke, meth, or the other hard crap were loosers. Just my opinion.

joyce
01-13-2008, 03:41 AM
I meant the other way around - that you're just barely seven. :D

At seven I was a royal pain in the arse!:D

Magdalen
01-13-2008, 05:18 AM
Yep....my first pee in a cup. I must admit I don't think I'm for this peeing in the cup crap. From everything I've heard if you're a coke or meth addict the crap is out of your blood in a day or two. If you smoke a joint you're tainted for over a month. The people I've known in my life that were hooked on coke, meth, or the other hard crap were loosers. Just my opinion.

Forget the coke/meth heads. They don't screen for alcohol so you can have a serious drinking problem that will undoubtedly interfere with job performance but that is ok just as long as there's no THC in your system!

But the best part about working in a grocery store is you'll always be able to Bring Home The Bacon!!!

TrainofThought
01-13-2008, 05:30 AM
Congratulations, Joyce! Enjoy your new job.

joyce
01-13-2008, 05:36 AM
Forget the coke/meth heads. They don't screen for alcohol so you can have a serious drinking problem that will undoubtedly interfere with job performance but that is ok just as long as there's no THC in your system!

But the best part about working in a grocery store is you'll always be able to Bring Home The Bacon!!!

Never thought about that point. I love bacon!:D

Siddow
01-13-2008, 05:40 AM
If it's anything like my grocery store, you'll also have first dibs on the meat case if you're the AM shift. My local shop marks down the stuff that has to go that day...perfectly good meat, a quarter of the price...I have to get there before 8am or all the $3 baby backs are gone. :(

joyce
01-13-2008, 05:44 AM
If it's anything like my grocery store, you'll also have first dibs on the meat case if you're the AM shift. My local shop marks down the stuff that has to go that day...perfectly good meat, a quarter of the price...I have to get there before 8am or all the $3 baby backs are gone. :(

Wow, that sounds great! My mouth is watering. This store is known for it's great meat, at least in my town. Great prices too. To get it even cheaper would be wonderful. I worked there in high school, so I think it's funny I'm here again. I really think it's going to be a fun job....but then I'm a gabber.:D

Joe270
01-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Way to go, Joyce. I'm happy for you.

What Siddow says is dead on, too. I nabbed four nice T-bones for $2 a pound. That's tonight's dinner. They weren't even grey yet, and steaks are better aged anyway.

Thankfully, most folks around here want their steaks bright red and they pay 10 bucks a pound for the color, which is mostly just from the blood poured over them.

Keep an eye out on the seafood counter, too. I got a bunch of king crab pieces for 99 cents a pound. I bought twelve packs of it. It was mostly the body meat, but that's what I enjoy the most anyway. Sure beats paying $17.99 a pound for it.

Early bird gets the deal, unless you are on the inside, like you are.

joyce
01-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Getting the good deals are one of the perks I'm looking forward to. This particular store is known for giving deals and having really good meat. The store that is close to me is so damn expensive. You can spend a hundred dollars and not even walk out with a hotdog. I figured if I was going to work at a grocery store I might as well like the place. Thanks again everyone.