My Entire Veranda Just Collapsed!!

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
Thanks God the kids got out from under it in time!! And the noise was incredible.

We've had so much snow and rain and more snow, and we have been cleaning it off as we got, but this morning there was so much and it froze so fast, the weight collapsed the roof of the veranda and also the back porch. The stairs are ripped away from the house, the siding has been pulled off -- its a bit of a mess.

When we bought the house, we knew there were a lot of things that needed to be updated. Stupid us for thinking the frigging roof would have been attached properly!! They used mostly 3" and 4" nails in a couple of places, and that was it. We didn't know that was all holding it together -- but now we can see that in the piles of rubble and snow and ice that are blocking all the doors. We planned on replacing it next summer, so I guess that timetable just got moved forward, but its hard to do much construction in winter here.

It could have been so much worse because Tony had just been standing there. I will never understand why someone would take such stupid shortcuts on construction. People are so frigging stupid.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OMG! That's terrible. Glad nobody got hurt in the collapse. That's the main thing. Now...to fix it. Yuck!

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Holy CRAP! Sorry to hear about it, RCND but thank goodness everyone is OK!

Shoddy work is always so infuriating, especially since you always find out about it after the fact as you have. What a mess!

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Bet that woke you up more than a dose of caffeine! I'm glad everyone is okay!!! Go after your house inspector for not discovering it during his pre-buy inspection!!!!

Hugs!!

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. As long as we don't get any more stupid snow (don't say it!!!) or wind, we should be able to get it cleaned up enough to make at least one of the doors safe. As we're starting to dig through, though, everything on the veranda is smashed.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I guess you're on the wrong side of the country. We are having May weather. The daffodils are sprouting and the Canada Geese are pooping. It's about 10 out and not a single sign of snow anywhere. Sorry. (you weren't the one teasing me about snow in November, were you? Hmmm?)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well...if it's any consolation...they are runt daffodils. They are coming up before their time...I bet they're all dead come spring.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
The veranda is the covered porch that runs along the back of the house. We had some swinging benches and some tables and chairs there. Its where I sit in the summer time to write.

Frosty was out there, and now his head sorta comes out his butt. A bunch of the chairs were smashed under the weight of the roof and the snow and ice.

The boys are out there trying to take the weight off it and clear the mess away from the door, but garbage keeps falling down on them, and now its starting to snow.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps (hopefully) your homeowners policy will cover the damage?

It probably would. I'm already starting to cost out the repairs and we see what they come to first, and then compare that to what the premiums will increase if we claim. Its pretty much standard here that if you make any claim, the premium will go up 30-40% for a five year period, so we really have to crunch the numbers.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Wow! I'm glad no one was hurt. My husband does carpentry work and he's told me some horror stories about rehabbing houses that were ready to crumble. Good luck getting everything fixed.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
So glad you're all OK, that's the only important thing. Everything else can be fixed.

Were there any voles under it when it fell??

*Sorry, couldn't help myself!*

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
It probably would. I'm already starting to cost out the repairs and we see what they come to first, and then compare that to what the premiums will increase if we claim. Its pretty much standard here that if you make any claim, the premium will go up 30-40% for a five year period, so we really have to crunch the numbers.

Smart girl!

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Were there any voles under it when it fell??

*Sorry, couldn't help myself!*

Oh, that I should be so lucky!!!!

We at least have the doorways cleared away now, but the snow is dumping down here again. We'll keep working to clear the rest, but our first priority is to make sure there's nothing more to fall down -- a bunch of the siding splintered, the light fixtures are just hanging there (the breaker for them has been turned off) but at least we should be okay to get in and out of the house.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Erk!
I'm glad everyone was off it in time. How awful for you :(

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you all had such a harrowing experience. Thank God everyone is OK. I'd suggest just clearing away what you can, slowly, and wait for spring. Please be careful.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
They used mostly 3" and 4" nails in a couple of places, and that was it. We didn't know that was all holding it together

Count yourself lucky they didn't use 3 1/2 inch deck screws every four inches, that would have taken your wall down with the veranda roof.

They obviously didn't support the structure well enough, and the pitch of the roof was wrong for your area.

If you rebuild it, get references and ensure, absolutely ensure you use a contractor who is fully bonded.