Financial Problems and Divorce

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
(Yes, yes, it's another divorce-related question. Well what can I tell you; I have an agreement with an editor for one more article. To be honest I hope that it's not the last. Money is money after all.)

Looking for comments on how money problems caused by a divorce affected you when you were a child or, if you're a parent, how they affected your children.

I'm not really looking for comments on child support unless it directly relates to a child's stress or personal problems.

Believe it or not, I've had a comment from ProfNet where a dentist has told me that parents will actually have their child's braces removed after a divorce because a) there isn't any more money or b) the parents are fighting over who pays. Can you believe it?!

Thanks!
KW

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
We lost our home (forclosure) because my dad was supposed to pay some odd amount and decided he didn't want to . . . so, we went from living in a moderate ranch to a too small apartment (my room went from being on a sun porch to being in the basement because there wasn't enough room for me). So, that was a problem.

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
(Yes, yes, it's another divorce-related question. Well what can I tell you; I have an agreement with an editor for one more article. To be honest I hope that it's not the last. Money is money after all.)

Looking for comments on how money problems caused by a divorce affected you when you were a child or, if you're a parent, how they affected your children.

I'm not really looking for comments on child support unless it directly relates to a child's stress or personal problems.

Believe it or not, I've had a comment from ProfNet where a dentist has told me that parents will actually have their child's braces removed after a divorce because a) there isn't any more money or b) the parents are fighting over who pays. Can you believe it?!

Thanks!
KW
The braces thing isn't so unreal. My ex (who had an ex already before I met him) was making payments on his son's braces. When he couldn't keep up his half, the dentist "suddenly decided" that the necessary corrections were enough and the braces could come off.

Funny how when they had money to pay for it, the corrections were grossly needed.

(eyebrow raised)

On the other foot, my dumping of the baggage didn't really affect us at all since he was a dead beat. In fact, I probably had more money because he wasn't stealing it to drink. We moved into a nicer place a couple of years later.

Thank the gods Wisconsin hadn't enacted palimony yet. Otherwise, I'd be paying HIM support. :p!

Amy

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
My parents divorced when I was 16, and my mom moved into an apartment actually owned by my dad, above the office where he worked. It was primarily so my sister and I could spend equal time with our parents and not feel like either was abandoning us.

I will tell you it was difficult for me, because I had become convinced my parents were happy and one of the few couples that would stay together. Ultimately, it didn't work out because their personalities clashed, not to mention the fact that my mother was gay.

Now that I look back on it, I realize how spoiled I was even three and a half years ago. My father always made a lot of money, and having to spend half the week in his larger house and the other half in a tiny apartment was definitely a wake up call about whose income we'd been relying on.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks!
KW

Yeah, unfortunately I can believe it. My son is supposed to start his braces this month. We've know about this for some time. My ex didn't pay attention to all the conversations about ortho not being covered by our insurance. So now I have my half of the bill saved up, and he has nothing. Do I go ahead and start the braces, hoping when his half is due he'll find a way to pay up, or put it off until I can afford the whole thing?

(On the writing side, it would solve everything if the book I'm about to start querying would actually get accepted...but hey, no pressure!)